Montgomery Ward - GREAT prices!

/ Montgomery Ward - GREAT prices! #1  

WVBill

Veteran Member
Tractor
Sold my Kubota B6100 when I moved to WA
As you probably know, Montgomery Ward declared bankruptcy and is closing all their stores. They are having "going out of business sales" and the discounts are fantastic on some things.

Last night I went to the MW store in Winchester VA with my wife to pick out some jewelery for her birthday. $300 earrings cost only $96, for example.

After we left the jewelry counter, we wandered around the old "Electric Avenue" and boy did I find a deal! I got an Olympus D460 digital camera for $298!

If you're looking for great deals, try your local MW. Selection is hit-and-miss but I'd say that digital camera I got was a HIT!

18-31084-BillSig2.jpg

/ Montgomery Ward - GREAT prices! #2  
Just be careful on what you think is a buy though. They did a piece on the one here in the Quad Cities and they found that it isn't even Mont. Ward that is doing the selling. I guess a company comes in and buys all of the stock of the stores and then they are the ones that sell the merchandise. They go in and mark all the prices up, even more than their original selling price and then offer a discount from there. They did some interviews and price checks and even with the discounts the prices were still more than the original price from Mont. Wards.

tractorpic.jpg

/ Montgomery Ward - GREAT prices! #3  
WVBill, that's a hundred less than I paid at Circuit City; very good buy. As Richard mentioned, you just need to know what you're doing. Montgomery Ward published a notice in our local paper about the "going out of business" sale; no returns, no refunds, no warranties, etc. on a lot of items, but on many items such as the camera, you have the manufacturer's warranty. Good buys; just be sure you really want what you buy 'cause you probably cannot return it for refund or credit.

Bird

/ Montgomery Ward - GREAT prices!
Absolutely true, Bird and Richard.

While we were looking at jewelry a lady came in with a piece she had bought, taken home and found something loose and they just pointed at the "no refunds, no exchanges" sign and said "Sorry". My wife looked over the jewelry we bought VERY carefully - she knows jewelry, used to work in a jewelry store.

It's the MW employees who really got the "shaft". My wife was in the store the day after the bankruptcy was announced on the evening news. MW management had made NO effort to inform the employees. In some cases it was customers who were breaking the news to them!

18-31084-BillSig2.jpg

/ Montgomery Ward - GREAT prices! #5  
WVBill -

You got yourself a great camera and a great price! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

The very best online shopping price I could find is $266.99, but that's before shipping. Most of the "discounted" prices I could find are more than $300, so I'd say you done good, especially considering that puppy retails for $499.

You'll get plenty of fine pictures with that model. It's got good resolution, more than enough for posting to a message board /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif, and it's compact enough that it can easily be carried on a tractor. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Of course, now the pressure is on! We're all eagerly awaiting some nice <font color=orange>orange</font color=orange> pictures from beautiful West Virginia.

HarvSig.gif

/ Montgomery Ward - GREAT prices!
It's a vicious circle isn't it?

I got the camera to take pictures of "tractor stuff" - now I've got to go do "tractor stuff" to take pictures of! Oh darn! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Actually, I was wandering around the house last night after we got home from MW taking pictures of things (too dark and muddy to get to the barn & tractor) - until my wife said "Would you put that away." Notice that there was no question mark at the end of her "question"....

18-31084-BillSig2.jpg

/ Montgomery Ward - GREAT prices! #7  
14 years ago I come out on the short end on a M/W refrigerator. I paid cash for a non functional unit that they niether could repair or replace or refund my money. At the time I couldn't afford to buy another one and continued to pay to have the unit repaired at my expense, for about three years. I would not only not be interested in any of thier "good deals", but I will never knowly have a M/W product on my property. A few people I know feel the same way about M/W in this area and I believe (hope) it may have been at least a part of thier down fall... Sorry to be so negative, I'm not usually that way, But M/W and I have been in battle and I never forget a store treating people like they did...

Rick

/ Montgomery Ward - GREAT prices! #8  
Rick, I agree. 20 years ago I bought a TV from them, that went out two days later. What followed was, in short, a nightmare. I swore I would never buy another thing from them, and I never did. As far as I'm concerned, good riddance.

Ernie
"It would be a waste of men to put our brave little band against thousands" James Bowie

/ Montgomery Ward - GREAT prices! #9  
Does make you wonder why they went belly up. I'm also among those who would not trade with Montgomery Ward, not because of any problem I had with them, but because of the stories I heard from friends and family who did.

Bird

/ Montgomery Ward - GREAT prices! #10  
Don't know if you folks have Home Base stores in your area or not, but they are following the same path as Montgomery Ward. I stopped in one today because they were advertising big liquidation sales (10%, big deal). Anyway, I ended up buying some stuff. Before I got out of the store, I was so irritated, as was my wife, that we vowed to never return even if they had 90% discounts. Bottom line here is that if stores (or most any other business) are run properly with good customer service, they will survive. Seems that when business's start having trouble, the first thing they do is lay off people, then customer service goes down, then the whole deal starts to spiral down. My prediciton; JCPenney will do the same before too long. No insider information, just totally fed up with their lack of customer service. Its a chronic problem. In my industry, when sales start to fall off, the first people to go are the sales and marketing people. Then sales continue to fall. Duh! Ok, thats my rant....

Larry...