first experience with magic jack

/ first experience with magic jack #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
Had to call a # the other day and got a magic jack message. IE.. the persons number was a magic jack #.

Apparently if they have not called you, you can't call them!

IE. if that person has not dialed your #.. then when you call them.. it tells you that. you can't even leave a message!!

My wife is a teacher and was trying to call a students parents and found this out.. glad it wasn't an EMERGENCY!

Along those lines. i guess if you use magic jack.. you can't use your number as an emergency contact for somebody as they won't get thru!

/ first experience with magic jack #2  
I would guess that it is an anti spam "feature" that the end user has enabled. Mom has Magic Jack and anyone can call it.

Aaron Z

/ first experience with magic jack #3  
I have been using magic jack for years and never had that problem. Sounds like some blocking and/or caller ID is activated on the call receivers line. I currently have two magic jack lines and both work fine.

/ first experience with magic jack
if it is a spam setting the end user has enabled. they need to rethink it as the school her daughter goes to can not call her. :) that's not good for an emergency! and that is the number she listed on her school records for contact.

go figure.

/ first experience with magic jack #5  
if it is a spam setting the end user has enabled. they need to rethink it as the school her daughter goes to can not call her. :) that's not good for an emergency! and that is the number she listed on her school records for contact.
go figure.
Might be worth sending a note home with the child as the parent may now realize the ramifications of the "features" they are using...

Aaron Z

/ first experience with magic jack #6  
Feature bloat. Feh.

/ first experience with magic jack #7  
I've been using Magic jack for years and like others have not had that problem. It's the number my employer has to use for call-ins and I always got their messages.

/ first experience with magic jack #8  
While VOIP services have their place, and I've used Skype for quite a while, I don't want to be in a situation where I'm depending on it for E911 services.

There was a tragic case in Canada where a family moved (to another province) but did not inform their VOIP provider of their new physical address. In the digital miasma that's out there, it's easy for many people to lose track of what's going on.

Rgds, D.

/ first experience with magic jack #9  
I have a friend that uses magic jack. I call him all the time. Never had any problems trying to call. There may be different ways to set them up. I don't really understand how it works but, he says magic jack comes through his computer ??? Is this correct ???

/ first experience with magic jack #10  
It's essentially a "thumb drive" you plug into your USB. It has a jack for a telephone. Your computer has to be up and running for it to work. If offline the call should go to voicemail that you have to set up. The voicemail sends you a file via email with a WAV recording of the message left.