What is it with Harley riders?

/ What is it with Harley riders? #191  
iPod Pete? How do you keep a "Bad Boy Image" listening to an iPod and having to check the RPM display to see if the bike is running.

/ What is it with Harley riders? #192  
iPod Pete? How do you keep a "Bad Boy Image" listening to an iPod and having to check the RPM display to see if the bike is running.

Not sure, old friend. But those pipes are annoying enough voters that we're all being painted with the same broad brush. I'm tired of being turned away from campgrounds even though my bikes are as quiet as can be. NY State setup motorcycle only checkpoints that are of dubious legality because they single out one group, but the vast majority of voters in that state applaud the move. That ought to tell the pirates something.

/ What is it with Harley riders? #193  
DSCN9635.jpg

All this talk of Motorcycles on this forum..... just had to stop at the local dealer yesterday and check out a 2010 & 2006 pair of Goldwings for sale. I sold mine less than a year ago, and I've been clean ever since. :)

/ What is it with Harley riders? #194  
A wise speed demon ought to know better than to wear cop-caller pipes! :eek: I bet my H-D has all of fifty hp, enough to keep up with traffic and enough to go much faster than I care to. I don't appreciate loud pipes when somebody roars past me doing 75 or 80mph on the freeway (boring place to ride unless traveling)... drowns out the sound of my cam gears and lifters. Yeah, that's me over in the slow lane, whether riding or driving. ('pocketa-pocketa-pocketa')

btw: If my garage door is open when a meter reader guy pulls up I often hear, "want to sell that bike?" & I wonder if he can read want ads or CL listings to find a better deal than I'd offer :confused:, might have shown him others in the barn as alternatives, but fear a rough-looking guy like him might come back with friends and load up while I'm getting a haircut or something. IMO, if these guys could afford a bike they'd already have one and want to tell me about it. None of the ladies sent out have ever asked me to take them for a ride. Guess I never know which days to spalsh on the AXE. :confused3:

Last edited:
   / What is it with Harley riders? #195  
Nice ride. Here's one that makes my hair stand up on my neck and my heart about thumps out of my chest. One crazy ride, don't know if the guy is still alive or not. The vid is about 13 minutes long and in parts of it you can see that his digital speedo is pegged at 299kph.

Ghost Rider - Uppsala Run - OMG WATCH - YouTube
That's the kind of stuff where I'd like to see the person go to jail. While I did ride at high speeds, it was always on desolate sections of road with no traffic. Putting yourself in danger is one thing. Putting others in danger is quite another. Granted, I probably should have been jailed myself for some of the stupid stunts I pulled, but that video is just outrageous. Glad no one was killed. :(

/ What is it with Harley riders? #196  
Nice ride. Here's one that makes my hair stand up on my neck and my heart about thumps out of my chest. One crazy ride, don't know if the guy is still alive or not. The vid is about 13 minutes long and in parts of it you can see that his digital speedo is pegged at 299kph.

Ghost Rider - Uppsala Run - OMG WATCH - YouTube

That guy deserves to hit a tree. He is endangering the lives of innocent people.

/ What is it with Harley riders? #197  
I'm spending the winter in the Philippines, land of 110 - 155 CC motorbikes. Went shopping at pure gold (Costco type store) and what did I see at the stoplight. Three big Harley's being ridden by expats living here. No noise.

mark

/ What is it with Harley riders? #198  
JMC, I had the same blue 1971 H1 Mach III. Below 5800 rpm it was slower than a Honda 90 but at 5800 rpm hang on because the 60 hp hit all at one time. Harleys,, Nortons and even the 750 Honda was just left in my cloud of blue two stroke oil. It was a trick to launch the darn thing. Just lean as far forward as possible, take up to 7000 rpm and let it go. The first rear tire lasted about 1000 miles. It was the fastest bike around, that is, until Kawasaki had the gall to release the 750 Mach IV in 1972. I was no longer the fastest.

That defeat still haunts me to this day.

/ What is it with Harley riders? #199  
JMC, I had the same blue 1971 H1 Mach III. Below 5800 rpm it was slower than a Honda 90 but at 5800 rpm hang on because the 60 hp hit all at one time. Harleys,, Nortons and even the 750 Honda was just left in my cloud of blue two stroke oil. It was a trick to launch the darn thing. Just lean as far forward as possible, take up to 7000 rpm and let it go. The first rear tire lasted about 1000 miles. It was the fastest bike around, that is, until Kawasaki had the gall to release the 750 Mach IV in 1972. I was no longer the fastest.

That defeat still haunts me to this day.
I recall pulling up next to a VMax at a stoplight on my highly modified RD400. The guy starts inching forward and revving his engine, so I obliged. Now he's thinking "400, you've got to be kidding". Well, the light turns green and he thinks he's just gonna ease the throttle and walk away, while I launch from about 6K rpms. See ya buddy!!! Eat my blue smoke! :licking: Hahaha I had him for a good block and a half. Buy the time he caught up to me I was stopping for the next light. Needless to say, I did not give him a chance to redeem himself. Had he launched he would have torn me up. Never underestimate a small displacement 2 stroke. It takes almost twice as much 4 stroke to compete.

Now I did see a rather impressive Harley at the drag strip around 1980.... this thing was highly modified. The guy launches, runs out of fuel 3/4 of the way down the track, blows the rear tire and still turns a sub-nine second run! THAT was impressive! :thumbsup:

/ What is it with Harley riders?
This is an old thread that I had started what seemed like a couple years ago but I see it has been much longer than that.

What I was questioning is why Harley riders have to "blip" their throttle when pulling up to a stop etc. I was thinking that they just like the sound of their engine and got a lot of "blips" of feedback in this thread.

Reading the article posted below made me remember many years ago driving stick shift cars pickups,trucks and, yes even a Harley 74CI back in the fifties, that "blipping" the throttle was an aid in downshifting.

I don't recall anyone in this thread mentioning this as the reason for Harley riders doing just the same without going back and reading the whole thread. Just seems odd so wondering if a lot of riders do it "automatically" without thinking about the reason?

The article is about motorcycle quick-shifting and the automatic "blip" when down shifting. Interesting stuff!