What is it with Harley riders?

/ What is it with Harley riders? #1  

npalen

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B9200 HSTD and Mahindra 3015
I rode a Harley as a kid and have always liked the sound. What I don't understand is the habit of gunning the engine when slowing up for a stop sign or whatever. Is this something they teach in "Harley School" or what.

/ What is it with Harley riders? #2  
I rode a Harley as a kid and have always liked the sound. What I don't understand is the habit of gunning the engine when slowing up for a stop sign or whatever. Is this something they teach in "Harley School" or what.

That's old school from the Pan head with S&S carbs with no accelerator pump.

/ What is it with Harley riders? #3  
Could they be down shifting? When I do that w/mine it does sound like I'm revving it up a bit.

/ What is it with Harley riders?
Reckon any of today's Harley riders know that?

/ What is it with Harley riders? #5  
Maybe they just want to share the sound? Sorta like the unique sound of a old JD 2 banger tractor. Ken Sweet

/ What is it with Harley riders? #6  
I'm with you npalen. I used to like to listen to the Harleys. These days there are just too darn many of them and more often than not they have straight pipes with a throttle happy rider. If you want to rattle and rumble until everybody's ears bleed, then you buy a Harley and put on the customary straight pipes. If you want to go somewhere fast and use less gas, then you get get an inline 4.

/ What is it with Harley riders? #8  
Maybe they just want to share the sound? Sorta like the unique sound of a old JD 2 banger tractor. Ken Sweet

More like say " look at me, look at me " .
I don't think I could hear a an old JD 2 banger that was on a road about a 1/2 mile from the house, but that is what I have to listen to all summer. Almost every one on the road, if modified, is over the legal decibel limit, but nothing is ever done.

/ What is it with Harley riders? #9  
I don't understant it either. Why don't they fine them for unnecessary noise? Next, they can go after those dang airplanes. They disturb many square miles of peace and quiet at any given moment!

/ What is it with Harley riders? #10  
I don't understant it either. Why don't they fine them for unnecessary noise? Next, they can go after those dang airplanes. They disturb many square miles of peace and quiet at any given moment!

By all means. Please ticket any airplane owners that modify their STOCK exhaust systems to make them louder.