Windows XP Going Away April 8th What to do?

/ Windows XP Going Away April 8th What to do? #21  
I hate touch screens too...so much that I have never used one and don't want to use one. I leave that up to my grand kids. I did a Google on Sandboxie and there is a free version. It sounds too good to be true!

i used the free version for about a year.. and liked it so much i bought a subscription. Have iot on any computer that is connected to the internet. I was taught how to use it by a computer guru i know that swears by it. Heck, i dont even run anti virus anymore.... no need.

/ Windows XP Going Away April 8th What to do? #22  
Is Windows 7 anything like XP, as far as the user is concerned? I'm sure it is a better piece of software, but I hate to get into something that I will have to learn all over again. If that's the case, I probably will go to a MAC.

windows 7 is winxp on steroids. its a very stable and reliable platform. Im not moving into Win 8 . thats just windows vista 2.0 as far as im concerned.

I just got a new laptop a few months ago with win 7 professional on it....a wonderful and fast laptop. dont want no stinking touch screen.

/ Windows XP Going Away April 8th What to do? #23  
I went from XP to Vista and have had more problems with Vista. I have now just ordered Win 7 Home Premium and hope to get it installed as soon it arrives. The Win 7 (with DVD) cost around $80.00 on line (Leximart) - a lot cheaper than when it first came out. Supposedly, Win 7 can be installed and will accept both Vista and XP files without problems. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
I also looked at going to Win 8.1, but found the Vista files could not be used - and I have got lots of them. So, to cut back on endless work I went with Win 7.
Many people I know that use Win 7 say they really like it.

not all programs will work, but most do. there are sites on the computer that show weather there compatible. One of my programs wouldnt work on win7 , and i need it for my plasma cutter. However Win7 pro offers a virtual PC program that emulates xp, and i can run this program in that mode just fine.

whoo hooo. 5,900 posts

/ Windows XP Going Away April 8th What to do? #24  
I went from XP to Vista and have had more problems with Vista. I have now just ordered Win 7 Home Premium and hope to get it installed as soon it arrives. The Win 7 (with DVD) cost around $80.00 on line (Leximart) - a lot cheaper than when it first came out. Supposedly, Win 7 can be installed and will accept both Vista and XP files without problems. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
I also looked at going to Win 8.1, but found the Vista files could not be used - and I have got lots of them. So, to cut back on endless work I went with Win 7.
Many people I know that use Win 7 say they really like it.

What do you mean by "Vista files could not be used?":confused:
Do you mean software compatibility for programs made outside of Microsoft?

/ Windows XP Going Away April 8th What to do? #25  
What do you mean by "Vista files could not be used?":confused:
Do you mean software compatibility for programs made outside of Microsoft?

I have Win 95 files I use on Win 8. Files are backward compatible. Not sure what he is talking about. Excel, Word, etc. will open older files, may lose some formatting, but they load.
IE favorites, etc. work also on the desktop IE just fine.

/ Windows XP Going Away April 8th What to do? #26  
I have Win 95 files I use on Win 8. Files are backward compatible. Not sure what he is talking about. Excel, Word, etc. will open older files, may lose some formatting, but they load.
IE favorites, etc. work also on the desktop IE just fine.
Probably programs or drivers.

Aaron Z

/ Windows XP Going Away April 8th What to do? #27  
One big problem you will encounter in moving forward, as aczlan just mentioned, is older peripheral gear will not work. If you have an old scanner, plan on getting a new one :)

/ Windows XP Going Away April 8th What to do? #28  
Win XP is not compatible with IE9 or higher because IE9 uses Direct2D for hardware acceleration which is unavailable in Windows XP. Many websites don't support IE8 very well now such as AOL. After April that is what will be the biggest problem that will force upgrades to Win 7 or 8.1 (forget Vista) when people cannot surf the Internet with XP and IE8, not the hackers or viruses. IE11 is the current version so software designers will not worry about backwards compatibility that far back. Many newer programs that use IE interfaces will not support IE8. Some proprietary programs also will not support any other browser such as Google Chrome or Firefox.

/ Windows XP Going Away April 8th What to do? #29  
The solution to all IE problems is called Firefox.

/ Windows XP Going Away April 8th What to do? #30  
Last edited by a moderator: