Looking Good While Tractoring

/ Looking Good While Tractoring #1  

Mrwurm

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC30 Hydro 4x4, Gravely Zero Turn Mower
Note: This is a tractor related post. (See title)

While driving my TC30 tractor , I like to look fresh and clean /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif. Part of looking so good (see signature photo) is being well groomed. So, what is my question?

Who can provide me some guidance as to how to select and purchase some good electric barber sheers. I need a big heavy-duty set for buzz cuts and a smaller set for detail trimming around the ears and such. I have purchased two sets of heavyduty ones. One at Meijer, another at WallMart. (around $20 to $30) Both are junk and cannot cut through my boys thick hair. I can't even get them to work well by taking it slow. I also have a battery powered set that is used for detail trimming. These are junk too.

So, where can I get good ones like the barber uses? What's a good brand? How much do I need to spend to get quality and performance?

/ Looking Good While Tractoring #2  
Can't help with the shears, but I did get a pretty neat trim once while lighting my grill. It did an especially good job on my long eye brow hairs. I think it was Kroger brand lighter.

Chuck

/ Looking Good While Tractoring #3  
Boy..... this is a stretch for a tractor website..... but I can give you some help. My wife is a barber/stylist and here is her advice....... Are you ready..... Go to Sally's Beauty Supply .....(never thought I'd be saying that on TBN).... and they can help you out. She uses Oster brand and likes them, but they have quite a variety and should be able to advise you. She also says that they have a web site. She just walked around the corner shaking her finger at me to tell you to also buy a can of disinfectant and lubricating oil to apply after each use! Whew.... this is too complicated for me. I'm going out to my shop, rub some diesel in my hands and then go back to the parts and repair forum.

Greg

/ Looking Good While Tractoring #4  
Jerry,

I can't speak personally about the trouble of getting through my thick hair. My barber tells me he feels more guilty each time I get a haircut because he's charging me the same each time for doing less and less work! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

But, he also said that he uses Andis clippers and shears. He thinks they're the best. Here's the link to their website. Andis

I also did a quick Google search, and I got a lot of hits of places that sell Andis products. You shouldn't have too much of problem finding them. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Looking Good While Tractoring #5  
Mrwurm:

pop in at your local vet suppy store.....the wife use to clip the horses with Oyster (spl*) clippers. They could shave the butt of a charging ape at 50 paces /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

all BS'ing aside....vet supply store

Whiskey

/ Looking Good While Tractoring #6  
Gerry, even though I dont have any hair The brand I used to use was Wahl. They are used by barbers and occasionally you can find a good set at wally world mixed in with the other el cheapos. Dave

/ Looking Good While Tractoring #7  
Mrwurm:

pop in at your local vet suppy store.....the wife use to clip the horses with Oyster (spl*) clippers. They could shave the butt of a charging ape at 50 paces

all BS'ing aside....vet supply store

Whiskey

Alright I have a confession. I have had a flattop/crew cut for the past 20 years. I usually go get it done but will do it myself on occassion if in a rush. Well my set of clippers were going on the blink....yep, that's right job completed with the horse sheers!

Hey, I don't see what the difference is anyway. I think my wife thought it was a little nutty though.

Oh, by the way I took 1st in the halter class /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Looking Good While Tractoring #8  
<font color="blue">"They could shave the butt of a charging ape at 50 paces" </font> /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jerry, Is he saying they'll cut his hair or...... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Looking Good While Tractoring
Thanks for the link to Andis. I was, at first, overwhelmed by their choices. Then, I realized that I can't buy their professional products anyhow. They only sell through distributors/dealers. I need to find an online dealer and a way to narrow down the choices.

/ Looking Good While Tractoring #10  
Check EBay, use search "barber clippers" as a start. Here's an example - an Oster Pro model, currently at $25.49:
EBay barber clippers

Also, when you're at that page. go to the top and click "Trimmers, Clippers". There's 19 pages of them. Hair Clippers would also be a good search word. Shears appear to be actually scissors...

If you want the whole ball of wax and don't care about cost, here's an Oster 76 clipper and 6 blades - buy it now for $270 -
Oster

If I keep editing and adding to this post much longer, it might go on forever. But, since we've mentioned Andis and Oster clippers, there's links at the bottom of the page, now. I clicked on the Oster link, and found a new model 76 for $119, plus blades from $20 to $28. This would come out cleaper than the "whole ball of wax" deal from EBay 'cause you can pick and choose your blades.