Sick fo digital crap

/ Sick fo digital crap #21  
Unable to afford the outrageous price of cable, we put up a digital antenna. The two "strong" stations, we do not get, the two "moderate" stations we sometimes get, forget about the rest.

Back in the days of analog, 3 of those above 4 stations didn't exist, the signal had to come from stations twice as far away. Guess what? We still had 5 stations within range of a plain old, non-rotating, box antenna.

So much for the "improved" digital system. Pay more, get less.

Spent 35 minutes this morning attempting to do on Windows 8.1 what I used to do on Windows XP in 5 minutes. This is IMPROVED????

I long for analog tv that worked, and Windows 3.1 at most for digitization.

That about sums it up!

/ Sick fo digital crap #22  
Go cold turkey on "tv", get rid of it and the giant idiocracy anchor that comes with it.

Your statement has merit, paying $125/mo for DirecTV to watch endless commercials and inane programming does seem to be a rather dubious activity. Truly a "great wasteland".

/ Sick fo digital crap #23  
by the time i cut the dish off of the house, we had been paying about $120/month for 10 years. Thats $14,400 to watch television. Thats NUTS.

And the programming just got worse and worse. The real downfall was reality TV....witch is SO unreal its pathetic.

Some stupid advertisement for a show called Bridalplasty...or some sort of name...pushed me over the edge.The show followed women competing for the wedding of their dreams and their dream plastic surgery procedure. The woman wanted a dream plastic surgery, and the winner of each show win one plastic surgery procedure. This was the last straw. I cancelled satellite that night

never looked back, and never missed it.

Now if they would ever offer a package where you could PICK your channels and only pay for those channels, id sign back up. id get discovery, history, and a few others....but leave the rest.

/ Sick fo digital crap #24  
Yep, it was reality shows that pushed me over the cliff too. I can honestly say that I was dangling by one arm after that looser Howard Stern got a TV show....sheeesh.

/ Sick fo digital crap #25  
them reality shows. yeck...

/ Sick fo digital crap #26  
Never lived in a home with cable or sat TV.

I still use rabbit ears and get all the channels I want... over 40... only half are in English.

Mom has the 1980 Zenith console that I hooked up rabbit ears and she is pleased... gets all the networks.

The boss at the Hospital was looking for ways to save... I put up a $20 radio shack antenna about 10 years ago... then bought several digital convertor boxes and get more channels.

I don't know a single person around here without cable or sat.

It's kind of strange because I manage low income property and normal rentals and every home has cable, sat and some have both... with some paying close to $200 per month.

I'm probably the only person with a smart phone too.

/ Sick fo digital crap #27  
Never lived in a home with cable or sat TV.

I still use rabbit ears and get all the channels I want... over 40... only half are in English.

Mom has the 1980 Zenith console that I hooked up rabbit ears and she is pleased... gets all the networks.

The boss at the Hospital was looking for ways to save... I put up a $20 radio shack antenna about 10 years ago... then bought several digital convertor boxes and get more channels.

I don't know a single person around here without cable or sat.

It's kind of strange because I manage low income property and normal rentals and every home has cable, sat and some have both... with some paying close to $200 per month.

I'm probably the only person with a smart phone too.

tell me about it. i get service calls to houses that are govt subsidized.....some up to 80% as ive been told, yet they all seem to have cable or sat tv.

go figure. im sure cable companies take food stamps haha

/ Sick fo digital crap #28  
have you not seen the 9.99$ packages on sat tv and cable for low incomes. same with phones...

/ Sick fo digital crap #29  
I'm an analog guy in a digital world...

That said, I have managed and still manage a handful of Section 8 rentals in the SF Bay Area.

The residents are very much digital.

Smart Phones, Flat Screens, Cable, Sat TV, Play Stations, Caller ID... etc.

It is true that families with Housing Vouchers automatically are eligible for many free or reduced services and free cell phones would be one of them.

My home has two traditional telephones and one is rotary... same telephone number for decades... Western Electric made quality equimpment and had a lot of friends that worked for them.

Many of the rentals have 4 or more lines for a single apartment... running out of lines was a huge problem back in the 80's.... then it was cable and sat to every room that was the issue and now it's getting the updated lines because the drops from 10 years ago are obsolete for higher speed.

I find it interesting as to what's essential depends on where you live and who is paying for it.

My brother has a collection of computers and cell phones... both a requirement of his employment... doing the simple math he averaged a new phone and new computer every 2 years... I'm sure it was a boon to the economy.

The biggest theft item in San Francisco comprising over 50% of thefts is cell phones... thankfully, I don't have to worry about it.

Laptops and tablets are also high on the list...

Whenever I have tenants move... they always leave behind lots of obsolete or broken electronics... the biggest was a Section 8 family that had a huge Projection TV if anyone can remember how big those were... she said it cost $2500.

All I know is the dump charged me $25 extra handling just to dump it.

Two years ago, it seems like I was disposing of CRTs every month... monitors and TV's.

A few year before it was cordless phones... enough to fill a garbage can and somewhere in between I had cartons of VHS tapes and players.

All I can say is I'm glad I didn't go all in for the digital band wagon and my digital footprint continues to remain small and my pocket book still has some green in it.

PS... My 8 Track still works great in my mustang!

Last edited:
   / Sick fo digital crap #30  
That's the problem with digital signals over the air - they either come in or don't. There is no inbetween. With analog signals as long as something was getting to the tuner you got something to see even if it was fuzzy.
I really hope you didn't pay extra for that "digital" tv antenna because there is no such thing actually. Antennas are just pieces of metal engineered and cut to resonate at specific frequencies. They don't know if a signal is digital or analog. If there is an amplifier involved it will make a difference, but not the antenna itself.
If you still have the old antenna up that worked so well try changing back to it. Its still up there resonating.

As for the computer I'd say get Windows 7 or wait for the next product. Microsoft usually gets it right every other release.

Dave remember when color tv started to become popular and Sears sold a gold Antenna to pick up the color tv signal.

used to be able to purchase a single channel amplifiers for weak stations and if signal was 100 miles away could get a clear signal
Even sit up at night and watch skip from some station several states away. now if cloudy no tv.
But a least old days when talking to some one they didn't hold the phone to there ear to hear some one else talking
watch a pack of teen agers all holding phones and flicking the key board Ask them a question get for answer Duh.
ken