Sick fo digital crap

/ Sick fo digital crap #1  

thirdroc17

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota & Wheel Horse
Unable to afford the outrageous price of cable, we put up a digital antenna. The two "strong" stations, we do not get, the two "moderate" stations we sometimes get, forget about the rest.

Back in the days of analog, 3 of those above 4 stations didn't exist, the signal had to come from stations twice as far away. Guess what? We still had 5 stations within range of a plain old, non-rotating, box antenna.

So much for the "improved" digital system. Pay more, get less.

Spent 35 minutes this morning attempting to do on Windows 8.1 what I used to do on Windows XP in 5 minutes. This is IMPROVED????

I long for analog tv that worked, and Windows 3.1 at most for digitization.

/ Sick fo digital crap #2  
Ditto what thirdroc said. I just use cable for this internet which is okay. And the rate for it keeps going up...the SOB's. TV reception stinks, whereas before, the pictures and sound came in clear even in black and white . Oh well , most of the TV content stinks anyway.

/ Sick fo digital crap #3  
That's the problem with digital signals over the air - they either come in or don't. There is no inbetween. With analog signals as long as something was getting to the tuner you got something to see even if it was fuzzy.
I really hope you didn't pay extra for that "digital" tv antenna because there is no such thing actually. Antennas are just pieces of metal engineered and cut to resonate at specific frequencies. They don't know if a signal is digital or analog. If there is an amplifier involved it will make a difference, but not the antenna itself.
If you still have the old antenna up that worked so well try changing back to it. Its still up there resonating.

As for the computer I'd say get Windows 7 or wait for the next product. Microsoft usually gets it right every other release.

/ Sick fo digital crap #4  
I was all hyped up about getting " Free TV " but first I experimented by getting one of the cheap antenna's the kind they say are digital that sit on top the TV or shelf, just to see if it could pickup anything at all, No! this kind is worthless, unless you are within 10 miles of the network,

Here in NE Ga. I'm about 60 miles nth of Atlanta (TV networks ) I wound up having to spend close 150.00 on a Large mast antenna in order to get "Free TV:laughing": ( 13 channels)
I was told if I were to install a rotor ( More $$$ ) I could tune in a few more channels, a total of about 20 digital channels in all, While I remain to keep our Sat, and even though I cut back to the lowest basic package, The Antenna will take a while to pay for itself, eventually will cut the Sat. off all together, A year ago we got a Internet streaming device called ( Roku )and subscribed to netflix been very pleased with it so far, You don't have to subscribed to any of the channels, there are plenty of free ones available if you don't mind watching commercials every 5 minutes:cool: Roku is starting to offer local news and weather reports, With our current setup the total cost for Internet -via:
( movie streaming) free TV, and basic Sat. is about half of what premium Satellite programing cost is,
all-n-all we're happy,

If your wanting to receive digital TV find out how far away the networks are and get an Antenna that can reach them,
Maybe even a signal booster will help,

/ Sick fo digital crap #5  
ok...i have some help for you.

I got rid of CATV 2 years ago, and was very frustrated with digital over the air signals. I purchased a $150.00 over the air antenna from best buy (it was a clear stream digital antenna Antennas Direct C4 - Best Buy) what a piece of crap....never worked right.

But after looking at the many youtube videos on building your own digital antenna, i made my own. All it took were a few feet of copper wire and a 2x4 board. And i added the 2 reflection screens i took of the old digital stream unit i threw out. Coat Hanger HDTV Antenna! - YouTube

I did a few modifications...i used #10 bare copper wire instead of coat hangers for the antenna loops and i used insulated #12 for the longer runs. that way they did not interfeer with each other.

Next i added a signal booster i was told to add for long runs (as i put the new antenna on the 10' mast on my roof where the old antenna was mounted. I tried the radio shack unit ($10.00) with some luck. Someone suggested that i try a product called "Channel Master CM-3410" its a 15db signal booster.

what i did was install the antenna outdoors, have a 50 foot drop of RG6 cable to the splitter in the closet. I took this cord and ran it to the input of the signal BOOSTER, than put an output cable to a 6 in 1 splitter. this unit transmits all signals to the other tv's.

i used to get 4.1 and 4.2, 28.1 & 28.2, and sometimes 26.4. it was spotty at best

now i get crystal clear

2.1 2.2 4.1 4.2 6.1 6.2 7.1 7.2 7.3 26.1 26.2 26.3 26.4 28.1 28.2 40.1 40.2

all on a $3.00 antenna and a $20.00 signal booster (amazon )

/ Sick fo digital crap #6  
ok...i have some help for you.

I got rid of CATV 2 years ago, and was very frustrated with digital over the air signals. I purchased a $150.00 over the air antenna from best buy (it was a clear stream digital antenna Antennas Direct C4 - Best Buy) what a piece of crap....never worked right.

But after looking at the many youtube videos on building your own digital antenna, i made my own. All it took were a few feet of copper wire and a 2x4 board. And i added the 2 reflection screens i took of the old digital stream unit i threw out. Coat Hanger HDTV Antenna! - YouTube

I did a few modifications...i used #10 bare copper wire instead of coat hangers for the antenna loops and i used insulated #12 for the longer runs. that way they did not interfeer with each other.

Next i added a signal booster i was told to add for long runs (as i put the new antenna on the 10' mast on my roof where the old antenna was mounted. I tried the radio shack unit ($10.00) with some luck. Someone suggested that i try a product called "Channel Master CM-3410" its a 15db signal booster.

what i did was install the antenna outdoors, have a 50 foot drop of RG6 cable to the splitter in the closet. I took this cord and ran it to the input of the signal BOOSTER, than put an output cable to a 6 in 1 splitter. this unit transmits all signals to the other tv's.

i used to get 4.1 and 4.2, 28.1 & 28.2, and sometimes 26.4. it was spotty at best

now i get crystal clear

2.1 2.2 4.1 4.2 6.1 6.2 7.1 7.2 7.3 26.1 26.2 26.3 26.4 28.1 28.2 40.1 40.2

all on a $3.00 antenna and a $20.00 signal booster (amazon )

You have pics of this contraption, I would like to dump cable tv in the spring

/ Sick fo digital crap #7  
You have pics of this contraption, I would like to dump cable tv in the spring
sure, ill go take some after i feed the horses. took about 45 minutes to make and install

/ Sick fo digital crap #8  
i also use netflix and like it....whats not to like for $8/month. but lately its gotten slower. I hear there about to launch a new streaming feed thru comcast to help that issue. i guess too many people have signed up to it

/ Sick fo digital crap #9  
I recommend that you go to www.tvfool.com and plunk in your address - they'll show you which broadcasters you can expect to receive.
A mast-mounted amplifier goes a long way in overcoming cable and splitter losses
A rotor is mostly unusable these days as you'd need to rescan for tv channels each time you changed antenna direction.
If buying a new antenna, most folks only need VHF-high and UHF. Most VHF-low frequencies have been abandoned. Your tvfool report would show the rf of local broadcasters.

/ Sick fo digital crap #10  
But, how can anyone live without ESPN or, where I am at, Fox Sports Midwest????? Without cable I would never see any Cardinal games on TV. Now, that is just plain barbaric!!!!

MoKelly