Incorrect Scrolling with Internet Explorer 6.0

/ Incorrect Scrolling with Internet Explorer 6.0 #1  

DocHeb

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC40D Supersteer
Establishment of Relatedness: I learn about my tractor here, and I use a computer to get here, so problems with my computer directly affect my tractor. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

A minor, although very annoying, problem has cropped up on my computer. Over the last week I've had a problem with the scroll bar when using Internet Explorer 6.0. It does not happen while using other programs.

Normally while using the scroll bar, clicking the up and down arrows usually move the screen up or down a little, while clicking on the scroll bar background moves the screen a page at a time. Now when I click on the scroll bar background, the screen moves ~1 1/2 pages at a time.

I am running Windows 98 SE with critical updates performed, Norton Antivirus with up-to-date virus files, and SpyBot for Trojan/spyware protection, and work behind a Linksys Router. Although I cannot recall the exact timing, around the time this started I did install a Windows Security Update.

Any suggestions?

/ Incorrect Scrolling with Internet Explorer 6.0 #2  
Oh, yeah, I remember the scrollbar... I have mice with a roller that I spin to scroll. Don't EVER use one, cause you will NEVER go back....

/ Incorrect Scrolling with Internet Explorer 6.0 #3  
Scrollbars /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif , They still have those?? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'm a wheel mouse man myself. I'll never be without one!

Now to the problem at hand.
I'd bet that it's related to the update. You basically have 2 options to try and correct it.
<ul type="square"> [*]Uninstall the update. [*]Find the registry entry that tells the scrollbar how many lines to move. [/list]

If you choose the registry route be very careful. You can totally stall the operating system.

/ Incorrect Scrolling with Internet Explorer 6.0 #4  
If you are going to work on the registry then back it up first.

The mouse on my home machine has an option for the number of lines to scroll, Logitech wheel mouse. Maybe yours has the same thing. That may just be for the wheel though, I'm doing this from memory.

Why it would affect just one app I'm though I'm not sure. Anyway try changing it to another value and back again.

/ Incorrect Scrolling with Internet Explorer 6.0
Mike, Dave: Yeah - Scrollbars, he said sheepishly /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif. Trying to use the middle mouse button to scroll "just ain't natural" - its trying to unlearn 20 years of scrollbar habit. Maybe this will be the incentive.

CTyler - Any idea on the header for the Registry entry for scrollbar movement?

/ Incorrect Scrolling with Internet Explorer 6.0 #6  
oooooooooooptical wheelmouse he whispers into your ear... then you can toss your pad away too

/ Incorrect Scrolling with Internet Explorer 6.0 #7  
I'm using a different OS so I'm not sure where exaclty to tell you where to go but this will get you started.

Do a find in the registry for Internet Explorer. Its' probably under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE then Software, Microsoft, Internet Explorer. There should be a bunch of entries. There may be a scroll value.

You could do a find on scroll as well.

Have you looked on the Microsoft site and see if they have a trouble case listed on this?

/ Incorrect Scrolling with Internet Explorer 6.0 #8  
Check in Control Panel (Start/settings/control panel/mouse)

If there is a mouse entry you may be able to adjust the scrolling properties there.

/ Incorrect Scrolling with Internet Explorer 6.0 #9  
What really messes you up is using an optical wheel mouse at home and then going to a crummy old fashioned ball mouse at work. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I wish they would spend an extra $30 and get me a new mouse! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif