Doctor rant...can I please please????

/ Doctor rant...can I please please???? #1  

MotorSeven

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti DK40SE Hydro
I do get it, Dr's are hardened like Cops because they see and endless line of people every day with problems. They want the facts and not the drivel("Let me do my job and go"). And, they deal with a bunch of folks that are slowly killing themselves by their lifestyle, then come in for help, not to mention the hypochondriac's, the not too bright, bad breath, etc etc. So after a while compassion takes a back seat and it's human nature to clump all your patients into one big category.

But(you knew there would be a "but" right?). We as patients are not all the same, and here is a recent experience that left me perturbed and a little pizzed off. I have been ignoring(when it let's me) my left elbow now going on 10+ years. It clicks, locks & pops, stops working when doing repetitive tasks(ummmm.. like building a house for two years by myself), numbness & tingling, range of motion loss @ 30%, then hurts like heck for a couple of days after using it before a rinse & repeat. Lately I am just losing my superhero power and about 50% is gone on that arm, so I decided to bite the bullet and go in and see if they can do something about all of the above.

I have a $5K deductible so I went right to an orthopedic surgeon which I knew would order a MRI...she did and it is a whole page of "loose material in the joint, Mr. Arthur Itis, several torn tendons, bone spurs, Carpal tunnel likely, a kitchen sink and a bag of rusty nuts & bolts." Off to another surgeon that specializes in elbows, who then tells me, I'm special and will need two surgeons...him for the arthroscopic, and another to repair tendons and possibly move things off the damaged nerves. Dr # 3 looks at everything, then sends me off for a Nerve Test to determine how bad and what nerves are shorting out so he can avoid or attempt repairs.

And, my friends we have now burrowed down into the issue, or let's say Dr #4...the Nerve Tester. First a tech comes in and hooks up some electrodes then proceeds to shock my finger & hand into doing a jumping bean dance while listening to some sounds similar to a needle dragged across a album(remember those?). Turns out, he is not measuring how big of a twitch my fingers/arm/wrist have, but it's more of a resistance test...kinda like an ohm meter. Then he leaves and #4 comes in to stick some very fine needles into my nerves while hooked up to the same machine. She was pretty good and only made it really unpleasant one time. Then she asks me about my neck...any problems there...yep, it's a long-er story, but back in the late 80's while attempting an arrest I lost the battle but won the war. Ended up with 26 stitches on the coconut, which messed my neck up for life...lot's of grinding and popping these days but I deal with it just fine. Bad guy ended up in the ER with two bullets in him...he lived.

Anywhoo, #4 then asks if I have any numbness or tingling on the bottoms of my feet or my toes. Well, by golly we are getting somewhere now, she is right on the money...slight numbness on the ball and pad of the big toe..both feet. She then get's up, says "You have Carpal Tunnel" (which I already knew and expected) and some nerve damage(angin no shocker there), then say's, "Oh, that numbness on your feet, it could be DIABETES, so you need to have your family Doctor run some tests"....then starts to walk OUT! WHOA whoa whoa.......hold on there Doc, whuddaya mean "diabetes", no family history, no weight issues, and I get plenty of exercise? She says, "well, your damaged nerves could be because of that, so have it checked"....poof, out the door she goes.

Need I point out that I am IN A HOSPITAL at that very moment, over an hour away from home. I am pretty sure there is someone there that could take the 3.5min to draw blood and send it off to the Lab that is on the next floor to rule in or rule out diabetes that very same day. Nope, I'm left to ponder my fate until I make an appointment closer to home to get a blood test done, and 6 days later it's confirmed...NO DIABETES. Anyway, I just wanted to rant a little and point out the overspecialization in the medical field fails to recognize common sense and the ensuing 6 day depression of a patient that might have to ponder giving up BEER....f...fffo....forever:laughing:. Thank you Doctor #4 for Mr Toads wild nondiabetic ride. I appreciate you ruling out all possibly related medical conditions to a particular ailment.....but it could have been done quicker and easier on the patient's part. :drink:

/ Doctor rant...can I please please???? #2  
I know exactly what you mean....We have a friend now who is forced to wait until next Monday for a simple test that could have been done yesterday concerning fluid in her lung....Amazing how they make someone suffer for days ...not knowing when they could easily expedite the test so the person has some peace of mind...Yes , most Docs and Nurses are hardened and patients are just numbers....I suppose the best policy is to try hard to stay healthy and out of the system...There are some good ones...but increasingly hard to find....

I hope you get all your pain subdued...My son is having elbow, shoulder , hand and foot pain...He played every sport in HS and College and football really did a number on him ...he is 44 now and having to deal with it...I hate it .

/ Doctor rant...can I please please???? #3  
Motor sorry to hear you are going thru all of this, and you are right, sometimes this whole medical
system is scary. My son had a similar incident at his work, he and other guys would sometimes have
to restrain a "juvenile" where he works (like a detention center). during the process he hurt his back,
disk problem in his lower back, pushing on nerves, and similar symptoms in his feet etc. well, here we go
because it's worker's comp, and yea, it's good ol NY state who he worked for, and they sent him for
tons of tests etc, therapy, shots, and he even even got the diabetes diagnosis! currently he is waiting for the state
doctor's MRI results so they can approve what all the other doctors have told him, he needs surgery
to repair that disk. going on 8 months out of work , more i think.
good luck with your surgeries! sounds like you may be in for a little rehab time, but in the end i'm sure
things will be better...

/ Doctor rant...can I please please???? #4  
I am sitting here in much the same predicament. I have a wisdom tooth that needs to come out, saw the dentist he can't do the job need an oral surgeon. Call several that take my plan, next available appointment is next Monday for an evaluation!!!!!! and oh by the way I need clearance from my cardiologist because I am on medication. He also wants a referral from my dentist. You would think that they never heard of a TOOTH ACHE!!

/ Doctor rant...can I please please???? #5  
I'm sure many of us have had, or are having, similar problems with the medical profession, and I can't help but wonder how much of them are due to:

1. fear of lawsuits, so they send you to one doctor after another and run many, many "tests", and

2. insurance requirements, private insurance as well as Medicare. I know that doctors usually only want to talk about, test for, and/or treat the one specific thing you came in for. For anything else, you need another appointment so they can get paid for another office visit. For example, I had (still have to some extent) shoulder problems with both shoulders, but the orthopedic doctor requires separate visits and appointments for the right shoulder and then for the left shoulder.

/ Doctor rant...can I please please???? #6  
Sorry you are having those issues and hope you can navigate the system to better health and a return to superhero power levels. :)

In retrospect, you lived with your elbow/arm issues longer than you should have maybe. Cost avoidance, no time for that, it will get better on its own, yada, yada, yada. I'm pretty sure most guys are guilty of that approach to medical care, self included.

/ Doctor rant...can I please please???? #7  
Docs and Techs are allocated a certain amount of time ( much like your mechanic ) to assess and diagnose the specific problem, after that they are doing it for free. And yes it is very frustrating.

/ Doctor rant...can I please please???? #8  
I think your first mistake was not going to your family doctor first instead of seeking out an orthopedic surgeon on your own. Just sayin'. ;)

/ Doctor rant...can I please please???? #9  
with today's deductibles, i think he was trying to avoid excess costs, but it probably won't matter,
once there is a surgery his deductible will be met very quickly! if not before!

/ Doctor rant...can I please please???? #10  
Yes, I have a large deductible, too. But the family doctor knows my history, and he knows my plan for the future. I work with him on an annual basis to keep me in peak condition! hahahaa well, maybe not peak, but we look at the past and he tells me how many more cookies I have to cut out of my diet next year. :licking: But seriously, the family doctor is where is should all start. The trick is finding one who's opinion and skills you trust to guide you along to where you want to be. ;)