A milestone

/ A milestone
Dad says that was his US army issued rifle in the picture.

/ A milestone #22  
This is a great thread. Tell your father this story:

Me and 2 of my buddies went to the Normandy beaches and cemetary on Memorial Day 2007. (We worked for Army V Corps in Heidelberg and took a weekend trip). A tour bus group of very senior citizens from Belgium discovered that we were Americans (by our accents of course). They surrounded us and mobbed us with thanks, hugs, kisses, tears---very emotional moment for them and us. They knew that we were too young to have been in that campaign but nonetheless they were thanking all of America through us. There was a light rain and I'd say we all stood there for 2 hours.

It is an incredibly solemn place, I walked from headstone to headstone looking at the names, and felt guilty when I left because I could not visit every one of them. Tell your father that.

/ A milestone
We were talking some yesterday of his experience in the Ardennes. He got pretty choked up talking about it, never seen him get choked up like that. He has seldomed talked about it. I gave him a copy of the book on the 16th Corp which he enjoyed reading. He has a couple pictures of damaged buildings in Aachen, and said he fought near St Vith. Said he saw Patton once. His group moved around between the 3rd Army and 9th Army. In the end, he said it was war, it was kill or get killed. He didn't say any more after that.

/ A milestone #24  
Dad says that was his US army issued rifle in the picture.
Happy belated birthday to your father and I thank him for his service?
If that is his issued weapon, was he the platoon or company sniper? I think most were issued '03 Springfields for that purpose.