Craig's List savvy question

/ Craig's List savvy question #1  

jmc

Elite Member
Tractor
Ford 1920 4x4 (traded in on Kubota). Case 480F TLB w/4 in 1 bucket, 4x4. Gehl CTL60 tracked loader, Kubota L4330 GST
Hi All,

How would you read this situation?:

A couple of months ago I responded to a CL ad for a very used tractor. I also asked him to respond even if it was sold so I wouldn't bother him with followup questions. No response from him/her, but I got a response from CL at that time to the effect that the ad was in the process of being removed, and with no further explanation. After today, wish I had made a note of the exact wording. Oh well.

So today, I get a response from the seller that it's still for sale and that he just found my inquiry in his junk file. He wants my email so he can send more info, which I provided, before thinking too much about it. His initial response sounded legit, no broken English, and a reported victim of CL policy preventing him/her from providing pictures, etc. through the CL site.

What would you predict will happen next?

Thanks,

John

/ Craig's List savvy question #2  
... and a reported victim of CL policy preventing him/her from providing pictures, etc. through the CL site.

Prevented from providing pictures?

I've posted dozens of pictures on Craig's List.

/ Craig's List savvy question #3  
Ask for the tractor's location so you can see it.

If a scam, there will be all kinds of reasons given why you can't go look at the tractor. Often they are "loaded in a container in a freight yard waiting for a shipping address." Or, "The tractor is 2500 miles away, so I can't answer any more than the photos show."

Bruce

/ Craig's List savvy question #4  
Sounds like a possible scam since CL sent you a response the ad was being removed. Why would CL prevent him from posting pics? I do it all the time. I have several ads with pics posted. If he still sounds ligit replying to your email the next question I'd find out how close he is to you and whether you could see the tractor in person.
I still think its a scam. CL removes ads if they are scams or if the seller deletes the ad. Don't send any money or any more personal info. Just my opinion. There are lots of used tractors on the market.

/ Craig's List savvy question #6  
was this posting in your City or close by?I would have him call you.

/ Craig's List savvy question #7  
It's a very common CL scam. There is no tractor. He will try to get you to send money. You won't get a phone number from him, and a ton of excuses why you can't see it.....the usual one is "it's already at the shipper"

/ Craig's List savvy question
Thanks All. I do appreciate your CL experiences.

This tractor is a unique, low volume model that was orphaned by a major manufacturer. Tell you more later.

He posted pictures in his original listing, while it was up, but reported that he could not send me pictures in response to my inquiry. (I didn't ask for any)

The ad was either in my home town in SW Indiana or nearby in Indianapolis. Forgot, but probably in Indy.

Stay tuned.

/ Craig's List savvy question #9  
As a user of CL he was correct about attaching pics to a CL email reply. You can't do it. CL won't let you attach pics when replying via their email. If you gave him your email he can send pics direct. Keep us posted.

/ Craig's List savvy question
As a user of CL he was correct about attaching pics to a CL email reply. You can't do it. CL won't let you attach pics when replying via their email. If you gave him your email he can send pics direct. Keep us posted.

That sounds more promising. Thanks.

John