Things to do with old washing machines.

/ Things to do with old washing machines. #21  
I have a 2002 model front loading Maytag Neptune that has been dead reliable but I have always used the recommended HE detergents.

This is exactly the set I have too. My dryer board has failed once. My washing machine; one board, one door lock motor, and two tub bearings. We have good water and use HE detergents as well. There are a couple of websites devoted to fixing just this generation of Maytags fwiw...

/ Things to do with old washing machines. #22  
Used dishwashers make great parts washers. Had a cousin that had a portable dishwasher, the undercounter type with a sheet metal skin, hooked it up to a garden hose throw in some degreaser and let it rip. Regular dishwasher detergent work good as well.

/ Things to do with old washing machines. #23  
Maytags I'm guessing. The burned circuit was probably the control for the door lock. I did mine about three years ago, and you have to do the repairs on the board and replace the door lock at the same time. I'm now replacing the drum bearing for the second time on the same unit.

Pisses me off how cheaply these things are made these days.

Sounds like what I did for my old kenmore combo unit. The 3rd time I needed to do the drum for the dryer I called it quits and replaced it. The washer was developing problems as well.

/ Things to do with old washing machines. #24  
Have two former relatives that needed to have front loading washing machines repaired at a big expense, and for both cases, the service guy told them the problem was they had been using the older type detergents and not the HE type that was recommended...something about the older detergents having a corrosive element that eats away at the tub bearings. I have a 2002 model front loading Maytag Neptune that has been dead reliable but I have always used the recommended HE detergents.
I had a Maytag Neptune that worked very well till a circuit board went out. Called Sears repair service and they said I could get an extended warranty for $200 so we did that. The repair girl, yes girl, came out checked it an the circuit board would have cost us over $400 if we hadn't paid for the warranty. I think we bought it in 1998 or 1999 then put it in storage for 5 years then it went out in about 6 months of use. It was still working fine though when we got our new house completed in 2010 but wife wanted all new stuff so the Neptune went to a daughter. I think it is still working for her.
I cant say the same about our Kenmore Pro model microwave that quit working after 3 years. I knew it had to be the magnetron so I tore it apart (after I bought a new microwave) and sure enough it was the magnetron although I think the 'tron itself was likely still good but the connections were fried and looked like they had caught on fire. I might could have silver soldered the connections together if I had not totally trashed it getting to the magnetron but regardless, 3 years isn't long for a microwave to last when it cost $650. I found a similar version, same size with all the same bells and whistles but no stainless panels on the door. It was normally $269 but on clearance for $99 to replace it. The salesman said it was over $400 to replace the magnetron in one now.

/ Things to do with old washing machines. #25  
Maytags I'm guessing. The burned circuit was probably the control for the door lock. I did mine about three years ago, and you have to do the repairs on the board and replace the door lock at the same time. I'm now replacing the drum bearing for the second time on the same unit.

Pisses me off how cheaply these things are made these days.

Newer doesn't mean better and this especially true where trade offs are made for energy usage.

I guess I'm showing my age when I remember a time when buying a washing machine, let alone a dryer was a big deal... just like folks spending 6 to 8 weeks pay to bring home a color set.

We most certainly have gone to a throw-away society and I have scored some real finds just for the asking.

Seems I'm about the last around here without a flat screen TV... not that I watch TV much. Neighbor asked if I could carry her Picture in Picture 27" set to the curb for pickup... their daughter bought them a new flat screen.

That Tosiba works great even if I need a convertor box and I feel sorry for the folks that gave it to me... they are on their thrid flat screen!

I won't be "Upgrading" any of my applicances that still perform today just as good as the day I bought them...

The trend is especially troubling when it comes to medical equipment... somethng that cost $40,000 ten years ago is now scrap because the manufacturer no longer supports it.

/ Things to do with old washing machines. #26  
Sounds like what I did for my old kenmore combo unit. The 3rd time I needed to do the drum for the dryer I called it quits and replaced it. The washer was developing problems as well.

A retired Kenmore repair guy told me the major shift was when direct drive came out... washing machines with belt drives used inexpensive parts.

/ Things to do with old washing machines. #27  
You could always build a trebuchet to see how far you could throw it.

Attachments

• 350px-Trebuchet_Castelnaud.jpg
    350px-Trebuchet_Castelnaud.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 60
   / Things to do with old washing machines. #28  
You would want to be vert careful (don't do it) using any flammable solvent parts cleaner in a normal clothes washer.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

Agreed. For manual cleaning, I usually use Simple Green, that's probably what I'd start with.

Rgds, D.

/ Things to do with old washing machines. #29  
Have two former relatives that needed to have front loading washing machines repaired at a big expense, and for both cases, the service guy told them the problem was they had been using the older type detergents and not the HE type that was recommended...something about the older detergents having a corrosive element that eats away at the tub bearings. I have a 2002 model front loading Maytag Neptune that has been dead reliable but I have always used the recommended HE detergents.

Before dropping by this thread, I was in no hurry to buy one of these front-loaders.

I'd never heard of this detergent issue before.... what does HE stand for ? How much more expensive is the HE goop, than regular detergent ?

I believe you guys, but really.... this makes about as much sense as a car manufacturer selling you a new car that can't tolerate E10 gasoline, then blaming the customer when the injector seals leak.

If detergent is getting to the bearings, then the seals are inadequate for the task - No ?

Just sounds like more planned obsolescence to me.

Rgds, D.

/ Things to do with old washing machines. #30  
Had some drive time yesterday.... was thinking about appliances....

If the failure rate stays high enough on these new Latest/Greatest/Blingomatic 3000 washers, it may create an opportunity for a company like BIC.

I can be sarcastic, but I'm actually serious. If BIC designed a basic no frills washer to (really) last 6 years, and sold it for something like $300 Canadian, it would probably sell. Why pay $1000+ for a washer that doesn't last any longer ? I'm not interested in pounding on rocks to wash clothes, but seriously, does somebody really need 82 different program options on a clothes washer.

I'm not anti-technology, at least when it works well..... you could easily take a low cost platform in another direction....

Complex Human Interfaces are low cost and pervasive these days...... BIC could take that $300 unit, strip all the controls and displays off it, and just hang an ethernet port off the back. For the folks that like to use a PC/tablet/Smartphone all the time, they could go with a monolithic look machine, for a few bucks off $300.

The programming options on the monolith version could be as complex as you want, w/o any added display/keypad costs.... or more relevant to this discussion.... failure points.

I'll take mine as a black monolith (playing the 2001 soundtrack), for washing my stuff !

Rgds, D.