Proper Use of a Lock Washer

/ Proper Use of a Lock Washer #1  

MikePA

Super Moderator
Tractor
Had TC25D, now JD X310
Should a flat washer ever be placed under a lock washer? Doing so would seem to defeat the purpose of a lock washer? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Proper Use of a Lock Washer #2  
You can use a flat washer under a lock washer with no problem.
The locker washer is to keep tension on the threads of a fastener, thus prevent loosening through vibration.
Occasionally, one needs a flat washer to spread a load or, most frequently in my case, to reduce the size of the hole the bolt or screw passes through. Sometimes a hole may by as large as the OD of the lock washer. Many reasons for this...mostly due to opening the original hole because it was drilled off location.

You get the drift, I'm sure...

Bottom line; no problem using a flat washer under a lock washer.
BTW, if it's a through hole, and you'll be using a nut...put the lock washer under the nut. A blind hole...obviously, the lock washer goes under the bolt or screw head.

/ Proper Use of a Lock Washer #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Should a flat washer ever be placed under a lock washer? Doing so would seem to defeat the purpose of a lock washer? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif )</font>

Do you have a screw loose??????? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Proper Use of a Lock Washer
<font color="blue"> Do you have a screw loose??????? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font>
My wife sez I do! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif But in this case, I was concerned that I put my wheel weight bracket on wrong. (See this message.) On the back of the wheel I only used a lock washer and the nut. Then I read in my Operator's Manual that when using wheel weights from New Holland, they show the use of a flat washer under the lock washer. Since the entire lock washer contacts the wheel, i.e., the hole is not oversized, I'm OK....'cept for the loose screw. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Proper Use of a Lock Washer #5  
I just looked at the other post and have determined that I wouldn't use a flat washer under the adapter the way that you have it pictured. I would have the bracket mounted directly against the wheel and then put the lock washer under the nut. I would also install the nut on the visual (out) side of the wheel and use a fine thread grade 8 nut, lockwasher and bolt. For attachments such as this, I prefer to use stainless steel. Are your <font color="red"> (part of sentance censored by moderator)</font> also?? ROFLMAO /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Proper Use of a Lock Washer
<font color="blue"> I would have the bracket mounted directly against the wheel... </font>
The bracket can't mount directly against the wheel. The bolts that hold the wheel on stick up about a half an inch proud of the wheel surface.

<font color="blue"> I would also install the nut on the visual (out) side of the wheel and use a fine thread grade 8 nut, lockwasher and bolt. </font>
I used Grade 8 but I never though about putting the bolt in through the back of the wheel. What would the advantage be?

<font color="blue">fine thread grade 8 nut, lockwasher and bolt. For attachments such as this, I prefer to use stainless steel. </font>
Stainless steel sounds like a good idea. I will check the bolts next spring and see what they look like. If they're beginning to rust up, I'll get some stainless steel ones.

<font color="blue"> Are your (part of sentance censored by moderator) also?? ROFLMAO</font>
Not sure what you're referring to, so I guess that means I am not involved. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Proper Use of a Lock Washer #7  
The reason for putting the nut on facing outward is so if any one of them start to loosen you will have a visual reference from the other two. I know that the weights will hide this when they are on, but I assume that you remove the weights periodically.

/ Proper Use of a Lock Washer #8  
Mike, I agree with Roy's comments about the lockwasher providing tension. But, I have also seen lockwashers dig into the nut and actually shave some metal off in the process of removal. The tab on the locknut digs into the nut and fastended object (in this case a bracket for your weights) and provides a lot of mechanical resistance to the nut coming off. I use flat washers all the time, but If I really want something to stay in place I'll not put the flat washer against a lockwasher if possible.

I've also had good luck using various grades of 'lock tite' on things that must stay together.