Telepathy and animals

/ Telepathy and animals #1  

TresCrows

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2200, Kubota B2410
OK, while the threads on Wal Mart and Guns are likely to go nuclear I thought to escape down here with a subject that surely will not cause a fight /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.
Do any of you feel a telepathic bond with your animals? Is it a two way connection or a one way connection? Do they know when you are coming home or feel badly? Has that bond ever continued to exist beyond their passing? Of course I might would ask this as well with parents and children or their parents or life partners. OK, well, do you ever feel what they are thinking?
Some years ago, when Mac, one of my collies became tangled in of all things an airconditioner grate, I had a strange experience. His collar tag had fallen down into the grate while he slept over it and when he got up it pulled his collar tight. He was choking to death. I was away on errands when this powerful dread came over me. I knew something was wrong with him and I started to home in a hurry, the closer I got the more a sense of desperation overcame me. I found him on the edge of death, strangled by his collar and the grate, laying prostrate on the floor. The other collie, Bobby was howling and he hardly ever barks and I have never heard him howl. It was the same howl from years before when our female collie Honey knew our male Sam was passing away. In any case I had to cut the collar off with my knife and administered mouth to nose ressusitation. A few more minutes and he would have been gone. The story of the passing of Sam is probably more than I should go into in a public forum for many reasons except to say that there was a tremendous wrenching within me that persists to this day as if a part of me was gone.
I was just wondering what if any similar events have happened with other companion animals or other loved ones and friends? I am sure I am not the only one with similar experiences but I respectfully realize many may not wish to share them and that is OK. J

/ Telepathy and animals #2  
On a lighter note, our Golden Retrievers seem to know when I come down the road.
I can follow other cars down the road and they will not notice them. I don't know if sound of my tires or what. They will always know it is me.
It does make you feel good when you see those two dogs running around like crazy to see you after you have been gone at work.

/ Telepathy and animals #3  
A young Rhodesian Ridgeback /Yellow Lab hound showed up at our remote mountain campsite three summers ago. He was near death weak, skin and bones with a broken leg....could barely lift his head! We nursed him back...don't know his background but he was obviously loved dearly and trained well, but at some point also clearly abused.

He has turned into the best dog I have ever had the pleasure to know. Initially a bit skittish and definately on the wild side, he was, at the same time, so eager to please that I had him voice trained in a half day!

He actually does seem to be quite telepathic, to the point that I can basically, while walking him (sans leash) think "turn left" or "come close" and he will almost without exception do it. He does the same thing with my wife...

Sabi

/ Telepathy and animals #4  
I've never had that feeling towards an animal. People, yes, but not animals. However, we have had animals that seem to sense us better than we sense them. One, in particular, belonged to my mom. That dog seemed to sense everything. Go wait by the door when she was a 1/4 mile away, knew family members and neighbors by name. If you told him to go see Mrs. so and so he'd go over to her fence and bark at her until she came to see him. Go see mommy, daddy, paper boy. He could learn a trick in just a few tries. He could count the number of fingers you held up by barking, sit, lay, sit up, climb a ladder, jump through hoops. We'd yell "DEAD DOG!" He'd flop on the floor on his side and close his eyes. We'd yell "DEAD DOG!" again and he'd roll onto his back wagging his tail. Then very softly we'd whisper "Dead dogs don't wag their tails" and he'd stop. After a minute or so, he'd start to peak to see if we were still watching him. Snap your finger at someone and he'd show his teeth and start growling at them. That really kept panhandlers from coming up to the car windows. When he came inside on rainy days, we'd say "Wet feet!". He'd go to the laundry room and pull a rag out of the rag box and bring it to you. Then he'd flop over on his back so you could wipe his feet. My mom even taught him to take the dirty rag and drop it on front of the washing machine. He'd be quite upset when someone was ill, too. Sit by their bed until they got better. Most impressive animal I ever met. Learned stuff as an old man, too.

We got him for $40.00 at the Humane Society. We went looking for a dog. All the other dogs were barking. That one just sat by the gate and stuck his paw through and grabbed my mom's leg when she walked by. Gave her the old sad eyes. She took him right away. Funny thing was, the previous owners said they gave him up because he was untrainable! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

We've had several dogs since then. None were as keen to us as that one, but all were good animals. One of the reasons I don't have a dog right now is we don't have the time for them. I'm convinced the thing would be lonely while we were gone. Not fair to an animal of such high intelligence. Now, the cat, on the other hand, is just fine with being alone for the day. All he cares about is sleeping, eating and his cat nip spider. And maybe sleeping on you if he is cold. He's my buddy, I love to hold him and play with him, but he ain't 5% as intelligent as the dogs. Good house animal /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Telepathy and animals #5  
JR -- I've been lucky enough to experience that bond several times with my dogs, though must admit they seem more finely attuned to me than the other way around.

When we rescued Molson, he had been a stud in a puppy mill and had never known any human kindness. In fact, the mill owner controlled him with a cattle prod and kept him half starved. It took a lot of hard work to turn that dog around, but he trusts me absolutely and when there's trouble, in turn, he's the dog I call for. In fact, even without calling, he's the one who shows up to stand by my side. If he's feeling sick, I seem to sense it and will sleep downstairs with him.

One winter when we had no snow but the temps hit the minus thirties, our waterline froze from the wellhead all the way to the house. For three weeks I had to take a pair of mud buckets up the hill to the site of an abandoned springhouse. The more trips I made, the slicker it got around the water source. One bitterly cold morning I slipped on the ice and fell into the spring head first. I was able to keep my head barely above water, but there was no way I could get myself out. I called for help, but with my head five feet down a hole on the far side of a hill from our house there wasn't much hope of being heard.

My wife later said Molson absolutely went ballistic inside the house, and began hurling himself against a plate glass window until she opened the door. He ran out, quickly followed by our other goldens. Molson grabbed the leg of my Carhartts and began pulling, growling ferociously the whole time. I could hear the other dogs barking, and about a minute later Tetley began pulling on the other leg. Between the three of us, I was able to get myself out.

He's getting old now, and I know our time together is growing short. Breaks my heart to think of losing that one!

Pete

/ Telepathy and animals #6  
yes very much so.

both of our dogs know when we are on our way home up to a half hour before we get there. even if we are in someonele's car. in addition, these 2 high energy dogs will not get out of bed if you are home sick. they will just stay with you for hours, forgoing potty outings unless forced. this is one of the ways that i know if laura is sick. torii, the one in the picture, sleeps in the bed with us and she rarely does this. she would rather be on the couch where there are better views.

/ Telepathy and animals #7  
Interestingly, I have a bond like that with all three of my dogs and most of my other animals. The dogs know if I don't feel well, and I know if they don't. In fact, I've brought my dogs to the vet many times, just because, I knew there was something wrong, but I didn't know what. Each time the vet did find an ailment after thorough examining, but they couldn't figure out how I would know. I just did. I recently had oral surgery, nothing too bad, but I was out of it for a few days. My three dogs wouldn't leave my side. And every time I fell asleep, I'd wake up covered with dog toys.

I seem to have the connection with my horses, too. My farrier is also a horse trainer, and he helps me in my training them. They often respond before I tell them to. Such as stoping or turning. He tells me that he's seen that happen with other people, and he insists that some people get such a close bond to their animals they develop a sort of telepathy. I think that's true also.

/ Telepathy and animals #8  
MossRoad....... seems like you have great luck training the dog...... were you that successful with your children??? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Telepathy and animals #9  
<font color="blue"> MossRoad....... seems like you have great luck training the dog...... were you that successful with your children??? </font>

Mom trained the dog, mostly. Didn't really train him, just showed him what to do and he did it. Like I said. Smartest, most impressive animal I ever met.

As for our children, so far so good. My wife and I are having a blast raising them. They are fun to be around, teach us something new every day, and keep us on our toes. The older I get, the more I enjoy them. The 11 year old is pretty sharp. Straight A student plus very active in sports. She gives me a good run for the money in strategy games like chess and she could do some damage as well as she is soon to test for her purple belt in karate. The 6 year old is a wild eyed little girl. Smart as a whip and very active. I think she is getting bored in Kindergarten, so we have to supplement her curiosity outside of school. We are very fortunate people, indeed. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Telepathy and animals #10  
My Chow/Shepherd cross, Leo (the Lion), is pretty well in tune to me. He has me trained quite well, and I reasonably well have him trained. I feel horrible when I have to speak harshly to him, because it obviously hurts his feelings and he will be glued to me for the rest of the day. The most in tune thing he does with me is when I am working on something and it goes awry and I curse loudly (Hey, I'm single, no kids). Immediately Leo gets up, and comes over and nudges my leg, stairs up the ladder, or sets over me depending on the situation. I have seen it happen many times and you can see him get up and I imagine him thinking, "Gotta go comfort dad, he's havin a bad time". It is pretty amazing. After petting him a few times, talking to him, I feel better, and he goes back to whatever.

As for dogs just being in tune to human beings, I was in a bad auto accident, a fatality, my fault, came out without a scratch. A friend of mine came and picked me up for the night. I had been around their cocker before, but she looked at me as just another person to beg for an ear scritchin. That night she was right beside me constantly, even gave up her normal sleeping location in the girls room to sleep in the bed I was in. She knew I was having a bad day and wanted to do her part to help me through it.

Dogs really can be amazing. Their sixth sense is pretty impressive.

Nick