Self service...a boon or not??

/ Self service...a boon or not?? #101  
A guy I knew who was really into canoeing got good at manifold cooking. After a long drive into the middle of nowhere on a Friday night, having a hot meal ready as soon as you set up a tent is a nice bonus !

I love the title...

Manifold Destiny: The One! The Only! Guide to Cooking on Your Car Engine!: Chris Maynard, Bill Scheller: 9780375751400: Amazon.com: Books

Rgds, D.

RECIPE

MANIFOLD COOKING ON THE MODEL A
Cooking your lunch on your Model A manifold while you drive is a truly enjoyable
outing. To make a hot meal without a stove, along
with the enjoyable aroma of the meal
cooking is another benefit.
Triple wrap each food package in aluminium foil. Use enough foil to completely enclose
the food with enough left over to fold a flat seam
the full length and across the ends of the
package. Then do it again, twice more! Seal each
layer tightly. Preformed aluminium
pans can also be used.
While the engine is still cold, secure the foil wra
pped packages firmly to the exhaust
manifold using bailing wire.
Manifold cooking is more like braising than broiling or baking. The food is cooked in the
hot juices or liquids inside the foil package.

Seems someone actually manufactured a cooker that attached to the exhaust:

Automatic Food Cooker Runs by Exhaust Heat of Car | Modern Mechanix

/ Self service...a boon or not?? #102  
I can see a Manifold Cooking sub-forum in the future of TBN ! :D

Could be a new competitive event - set up a defined Time/Distance Rally, and have judges test the manifold cooked food at the Finish Line !

Hey, it's also a time-saver. Leave work, drive home, food is cooked when you get there !

Rgds, D.

/ Self service...a boon or not?? #104  
even the old straight sixes could cook 4 hot dogs at once ..

a length of 1/4" copper tubing wrapped around the exhaust a few times and an old windshield washer pump/bottle , filled with clean water ( and a piece of flexible hose between them ) .... tap a button and you got hot water for instant coffee / tea or hot chocolate....

/ Self service...a boon or not??
Yes, and there would have to be pictures of the culinary delights along with recipes.:laughing:

And those would go great to accompany Larro Darro's pictures in his "What's for supper" thread...:laughing:

/ Self service...a boon or not?? #106  
Back when they still pumped gas for you and gas was a buck a gallon I stopped for a fill up. I had a 75 Datsun long bed pickup that had a 11.9 gallon tank.

The guy fills up the tank and says that will be 20 bucks. I said shall we call the police and you can tell them how you managed to get 20 gallons in a 11.9 gallon tank.

He said no, how much do you think I pumped into your truck. I said I had a quarter tank, so about 9 gallons. He said ok give 9 bucks and I left.

I don't know if it was on purpose that they didn't clear the previous fill or they just forgot.