Your opinion on Resturants..... Please (part 2)

/ Your opinion on Resturants..... Please (part 2) #1  

AndyM

Veteran Member
Tractor
1948 Ford 8N and 1993 Toro WheelHorse 520H
I'm going to continue Junkman's thread in a new post with a slightly different twist--

As I've said in the past, I like to eat (and eat and eat). We like to frequent establishments such as Ponderosa and the Old Country Buffet. We also eat at the Chinese Buffet a lot. At these places, you go up to the buffet and get your own food and take it back to the table. The only thing the waitress does is pick up your dirty plates and refill your soft drinks. Heck, at the Old Country Buffet, you even get your own drinks.

Is someone expected to give their server a full tip at these places, even though the service isn't quite full service? Usually, my wife and I spend $20 or less on a meal, and we give either a two or three dollar tip, depending on the level of service. There are times at the Ponderosa when the server hasn't stopped back at the table once to see if we needed soft drink refills or anything else, and I didn't leave a tip.

I'm sure you're not supposed to leave a full (15-20 percent) tip when you're going to the buffet and getting your own food, but I'm pretty sure you're supposed to leave SOMETHING...

Well???

/ Your opinion on Resturants..... Please (part 2) #2  
In those type of establishments I don't leave any tip, or a very small tip depending on how often the person came to clear the plates. You are doing most of the work -- getting your own food, bringing it back to the table, etc. What is left on the table may be a buck or two.

Purely a judgment call.

/ Your opinion on Resturants..... Please (part 2) #3  
AndyM, you say $20 or less and leave a $2 or $3 tip? $3 would be 15% of the $20. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif And we do the same thing. When we eat out, our preference is the buffets; usually Golden Corral, Pancho's, or either of two Chinese buffets we like. Cheap, good food, choose what we want, and how much of it we want, and yes, a $2 to $3 tip is usually at least 15%.

/ Your opinion on Resturants..... Please (part 2) #4  
The Goldon Corral, now theirs one I haven't heard in many years /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I used to go to theese when I was in school, along with Sunnys BBQ for the all you can eat smoked chicken on sundays /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I used to leave a buck, maybee two for great service but there never really was any, except at Sunnys. Knowing what I know now, I never ever eat at theese places, especially the chineese Buffets /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Your opinion on Resturants..... Please (part 2) #5  
I always have a "minimum tip rule" which deterimine the minimum I will leave if I have decent service no matter where I go. I'm not talking about a small tip I give to the person who brings my order at Sonic, but at a sit-down restaurant. For example, we have a little grocery store and cafe in town that serves great food for a low price. Many times I go in there with my girlfriend and get served a tasty hot meal for $10 or less. The person who serves me that meal does just as much as the person who serves me a $25 meal at another restaurant. I normally leave a $3 tip in this situation. Is that too much? I don't think so. At buffets when I go to lunch with coworkers, I'll normally leave $1 or $2 depending on the "at table" attention. If a buffet is dirty, or no plates, silver, etc., or the wait-person only brings drinks and I have to "beg" for the check, I just may leave nothing. As with my "minimum tip rule", I expect a "minimum service level." If I get bad service twice in a row, I'll probably not come back for more. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Your opinion on Resturants..... Please (part 2) #6  
Sonny's BBQ, man that is the best. I grew up in Central Florida where their headquarters is. We've moved to Virginia and the BBQ here is pulled, shredded and coated in some sort of vinager sauce. Good for some, but give me sliced and smoked pork and let me put some sauce on it myself. I always stop at the one in Charlotte when we head back to FL for a vist. That is their northern-most store. On the way back home I will sometimes pick up 10-20 lbs and keep it in the freezer for later.

I remember Tuesday's used to be all you can eat pork night. mmmmmmm. They lost money on me those nights.
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
-Frank

/ Your opinion on Resturants..... Please (part 2) #7  
LOL, I was figuerin that Sonny's would make some ones taste buds pop /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I know they lost money with me on that $3.95 chicken deal, I love their BBQ beans as well. Been to your area a few times and the BBQ there is a whole lot different with the viniger. Texas BBQ is more like smoked meat with salsa /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Your opinion on Resturants..... Please (part 2) #8  
I'm from north Alabama and all the BBQ here is pulled pork that has been smoked over hickory chips. The vinegar is in the hot sauce. I went to Seattle a few years back on business. My co-worker and I decided to eat a BBQ place just down the street from the hotel. I ordered the large pork BBQ plate. I ended up in a debate with the waitress over what she brought me. I said it was sliced ham with BBQ sauce poured over it. She claimed it was BBQ. I guess it is a regional thing.

/ Your opinion on Resturants..... Please (part 2) #9  
I have always been curious about the other end of the spectrum when it comes to tipping. I agree with you about tipping beyond 15% in inexpensive places if the service good.

While I don't eat at really expensive places that often, I've often wondered why it's worth 15% of a $60 bill to carry a plate with steak and lobster when it's only worth 15% of $7 to bring a plate with a bacon cheeseburger.

My question is, if there's a minimum tip is there a maximum also? The situation which brought this to mind was a dinner I had with two customers when the bill was just a bit under $220. Is waiting on this table of three really worth over $30?

I'm going to have you assume the same level of service here when you answer this one. Any thoughts?

/ Your opinion on Resturants..... Please (part 2) #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Sonny's BBQ, man that is the best. )</font>

I second that recommendation. Sonny's is the one restaurant I miss the most since I left Florida. When we go down to visit my parents, we make a point of going out to Sonny's. We also buy about 5 bottles of Hot-Sauce to take home to cover us until our next Florida visit.

My favorite: The Pork Plate!

Man, thinking of that along with the garlic bread, fries, cole slaw and a SWEET tea is making my mouth water. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif