This is D-Day (143 HQ Photos)

/ This is D-Day (143 HQ Photos) #2  
Thank you for sharing this. Some breathtaking photos and what a memorial to the sacrifices they made for us. Some of the most striking photos were the veterans returning so many years later and having the emotions brought back again. A burden they carried for so long that most of us today would run from at the thought of doing it ourselves.

/ This is D-Day (143 HQ Photos) #3  
Thanks for posting. I've enjoyed watching Dday on the History Channel this weekend.

/ This is D-Day (143 HQ Photos) #4  
Sometime in the early 30s my Dad's older brother gave him, his brothers, and his best friend a 1922 Silver Dollar. Dad and his brothers couldn't wait to go to town and blow their dollar. My Dad's best friend kept his. Later on he drilled a hole in it and wore it around his neck. The silver dollar was around his neck along with his dog tags when he hit the beach at Normandy.

Years later Dad's friend was visiting, I was probably 40 years old by then. The friend said he had something he wanted me to have, and presented me with the silver dollar mounted on a belt buckle. Not too many years later I attended his full military funeral. The silver dollar has since come loose from the buckle but I still have it. The hole he had drilled had been filled and the whole dollar re-chromed or maybe nickel plated. Pretty special piece for me.

My uncle, who had given out the dollars died before I was born, when he was 29.

/ This is D-Day (143 HQ Photos) #5  
Here is a picture of my Dad in France, 1944.

image-100638670.jpg

image-1991312480.jpg

/ This is D-Day (143 HQ Photos) #6  
Thank you for the link. Very powerful. The sacrifices those men made are unimaginable. God bless them all.

/ This is D-Day (143 HQ Photos) #7  
Just finished watching History Channel's "D Day in HD" 2 part series on the DVR. Gives a whole different perspective of the sacrifices the soldiers made. Hearing the veterans speaking about their experiences 70 years later makes you really appreciate what so many have sacrificed so we may enjoy our freedom as a nation.