How to test if wheel bearing or transmission?

/ How to test if wheel bearing or transmission? #1  

CobyRupert

Tractor
JD 5075E
This isn't about a tractor, but I know there's a lot of knowledge here. Wife's 2005 Saturn Vue (135,000 mi), makes a whirling noise from front end when going down the road. It's strictly related to tire speed/ final drive. It's not effected by engine rpm's or applying brakes.

I'm thinking wheel bearing or transmission. I don't feel any play in the wheel bearings when I grab the raised tires. The manual transmission has a wet film (sweat) of oil on it, but seems like I've seen a lot of cars like that.(?)

What seemed odd was the drive shaft coming out of passenger side of the "differential" was very warm/hotter than I'd expected, though it does run right next to the back of the motor and oil pan. Is it normal for it to get this hot, or is this a sign of a failing transmission?
I'm going to change the transmission oil, but is it most likely a transmission bearing?
How can I test?

/ How to test if wheel bearing or transmission? #2  
Driving down the road shift trans to "n". Does the noise go away? If the trans is going along for the ride, and the noise is still present it would be a wheel bearing. Or a constant velocity joint which should be covered with some sort of rubber boot.

/ How to test if wheel bearing or transmission?
Driving down the road shift trans to "n". Does the noise go away? If the trans is going along for the ride, and the noise is still present it would be a wheel bearing. Or a constant velocity joint which should be covered with some sort of rubber boot.

No, pressing in the clutch does not make the noise go away.
I'm definitely convinced it's either a wheel bearing or maybe a bearing at the transmission/drive shaft (or low oil- just needs so topping off (wouldn't that be nice :thumbsup:)-yeah right!).

Do CV joints "whine" (actually it's more of a "whirl") if they go bad? - I thought they "clunked" when you turned?

I guess my questions are: 1) How can I test if it's a wheel bearing ? Grab the tire and shake?
2) How can I test if it a bearing at the output of the transmission? Grab drive shaft and wiggle? It seemed warm, is this a sure sign?

/ How to test if wheel bearing or transmission? #5  
Wheel bearings "usually" howl worse when going around a corner, particularly hwy off ramps. Or they can be completely silent until they fail.... lol.

Jack the tire off the ground by the control arm leaving about and inch of clearance. Put a breaker bar under the tire and visually inspect the suspension while working the pry bar up and down. If you still can't see anything, pull the brake pads and rotate the rotor by hand. You will hear the bearing if it's bad.

/ How to test if wheel bearing or transmission? #6  
I had a front wheel bearing go bad on my Escape. You could play it like a tune by turning the steering wheel back and forth. Unfortunately the rule of thumb for determining which side was bad was exactly backward and I replaced the wrong side, initially.

/ How to test if wheel bearing or transmission? #7  
Something no one's suggested yet is tires. If your tires are worn funny they can make noises that can sound like a bearing.

Does the noise change when you steer in one direction or the other? Usually a bad wheel bearing will change in pitch if you do that.

/ How to test if wheel bearing or transmission? #8  
Those cars are pretty good for wheelbearing failure. If you have more than 50k it could be. As far as which one it is yes you can tell be going around corners. It is about unloading, going around right corner body weight is transferred to the left by body flex if the noise gets worse it is the left (drivers side) if it goes away it is the right. Turn the other way and visa versa, but it should lead you to the same conclusion. Bearings can absolutely positively make noise and not have ANY play in it at all. I have heard them hum, squeak, grumble and growl. Get the best one you can and it is a pretty DIY. Remove brakes, axle nut and held on with 3 bolts. Hardest part is releasing the axle (usually not bad ) and getting the hub from the knuckle, usually a air hammer makes quick work of both

/ How to test if wheel bearing or transmission? #9  
^yup Vues eat wheelbearings

My brother had one. We were changing them ALOT!

/ How to test if wheel bearing or transmission? #10  
^yup Vues eat wheelbearings

My brother had one. We were changing them ALOT!

Those GM hubs are just prone to failure. I have changed 20 or 30 of them over the years. Got it down to a science. Cars, trucks, SUV's does not matter. Over 50k on them is doing good