Do solar pool covers really work?

/ Do solar pool covers really work? #1  

Piston

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4610 Hitachi UH083LC
I would like to warm the pool up a few degrees so my wife and son enjoy it more.

Someone told me to get a solar pool cover.

Do these really work for warming up the pool? Or is it more of just a "cover" to keep pollen and leaves out?

Do they also help with keeping bugs out and keeping the pool cleaner?

Do you have any recommendations on which type, or manufacturer, to buy, or stay away from?

These are nowhere near as much fun to research as tractors are.

/ Do solar pool covers really work? #2  
Yes they do help quite a bit, my pool was 82 yesterday which is close to a perfect temp in my opinion but I also have 2 solar panels for it. The covers keep heat from escaping at night and water/chlorine from going away during the day. I'm on cover number 3 in 7 or 8 years. They only last 2 or 3 years and I found no gain in getting thicker ones. The current one I have now is pretty thick, all it gives you is a heavy cover that's harder manage. Get a reel to make removal easier. As for keeping the pool clean, it does keep some of the junk out but the surface water doesn't get filtered as well because the cover is sitting on it. I like the clear-ish ones, brand doesn't matter from what I see. The next one I buy will be the cheapest clear one I can get, they seem to last the same amount of time. E-bay has the best prices. A good website for pool questions is Trouble Free Pool. No it's not TBN but has lots of good info.

/ Do solar pool covers really work? #3  
Yes. Solar pool covers do work, BUT the real trick is too not run the pump during daylight, this allows the water to absorb the heat. AND do run the pump at night, as moving water does not loose heat as easily.

/ Do solar pool covers really work? #4  
I have used them on two pools. They do keep the heat in and when you pay to heat it and the night cool air drops the temp, the cover is great.
Raising the temps during the day without a heater? Not so much.
Keeping bugs and leaves out? The leaves stick to it and the bugs just slide off into the pool if you use the roller. Not the main reason to use it, keeping the heated water warm is the best use.
just my opinion.

Last edited:
   / Do solar pool covers really work? #5  
Yes. Solar pool covers do work, BUT the real trick is too not run the pump during daylight, this allows the water to absorb the heat. AND do run the pump at night, as moving water does not loose heat as easily.
Curious... I don't understand the physics behind your statement that moving water doesn't lose heat as easily. I understand the heat is transferred by one of three means... radiation, conduction, and convection. Convection being the operative word here. I would think the opposite is true.

/ Do solar pool covers really work? #6  
Yes. Solar pool covers do work, BUT the real trick is too not run the pump during daylight, this allows the water to absorb the heat.

I don't agree with that. If you dont run the pump you just wind up with very warm water in the top few inches, but cold water lower down. Better, in my opinon, to have an even temperature all over.

But as for the OP's original question.... yes they definitely work and you'll save water and chlorine. They can make the temperature much more comfortable but it largely depends on the surface area, depth and location of the pool. The aspect of whether they help keep the pool clean is not so simple but overall I'd say they are beneficial.

/ Do solar pool covers really work? #7  
I don't agree that solar covers work. When mine went bad I didn't replace it, because I felt it did no good. I never could really tell any difference using the solar cover and not using the solar cover

/ Do solar pool covers really work? #8  
Yes they do work. I did a lot of testing with a digital thermometer back when I had a pool. My best results were from leaving pool pump off during the time sun would shine on it, after that pump would come on and mix in heated water. Biggest difference you will see with cover is retaining heat overnight our if you have a heater. They do not work to keep pool cleaner. I had to hose mine off to clean it and that goes directly in pool. A leaf blower just bounces it around until it hits a wet spot then sticks. As stated above they do save water and chemicals. I would buy a mid priced one they last about 5 years.
Scott

/ Do solar pool covers really work?
It is an in ground pool, about 8' deep at the deep end and probably something like 3 and a half feet deep at the shallow end. I don't have a heater in the pool. It does get sun most of the day, from about 10am until the sun get's low to the horizon.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know a rough price it would cost to install a pool heater?? Is that a difficult thing to do? It's a 20x40 pool.

/ Do solar pool covers really work? #10  
Covers do work and can be quite effective... 'solar' is a bit of a misnomer. The cover reduces convection cooling when the outside air is cooler than the water temp especially if there is a breeze that carries the heat away.