How not to shoot a gun...Or you can't fix Stupid

/ How not to shoot a gun...Or you can't fix Stupid #11  
Great video.

/ How not to shoot a gun...Or you can't fix Stupid #12  
I like the video. It makes me want to hang onto the gun tighter and be more attentive.

40 years ago I was doing some mortar training in the Army and I was tempted to be cool and plant a small hand held mortar on my leg instead of on the ground and drop one in and see what happens. After looking at these films I think I would know.

/ How not to shoot a gun...Or you can't fix Stupid #13  
The Japanese knee mortar of WWII had a small baseplate you were supposed to rest on the ground and while "kneeling" you fired the mortar without benefit of solid base or aiming equipment. Some GI's were tempted to fire the mortar from their upper thigh. The result from what I understand was a broken leg.:shocked:

/ How not to shoot a gun...Or you can't fix Stupid #14  
I like the video. It makes me want to hang onto the gun tighter and be more attentive.

40 years ago I was doing some mortar training in the Army and I was tempted to be cool and plant a small hand held mortar on my leg instead of on the ground and drop one in and see what happens. After looking at these films I think I would know.

I suspect you would probably walk with a limp today.

/ How not to shoot a gun...Or you can't fix Stupid #15  
Best pistol to start a newbie on is usually either an airsoft pistol, or a bb gun pistol to get used to proper handling, aiming, and trigger control. Move up to a .22 to get them used to real firearm noise. Don't go for the 9MM or up until they're both ready, and capable of handling a larger caliber weapon. Don't forget that if the grips are too big or too small, it doesn't matter what caliber the weapon is.

I disagree somewhat. My wife had never really shot before; sure her brothers bb gun a time or 20; maybe her dad's .22 some, 5+ years before I meet her. I searched for the perfect starter lady gun for her (secretly of coarse), and strongly considered a .380 or .32 acp; but I already own a 9x18 Makarov. No point having a .380 and a Mak. I ended up getting her a Hi Point .40. I told her "it might be a bit strong for you, and if it is I'll sell it and buy something smaller". She said I guess I'll learn to shoot it. A 9mm or .40 is far from too big a caliber for women and kids to learn on.

Btw: incase your stating the obvious, why not learn on my Makarov. Because it is mine, and the interest wasn't there compared tooo: here is Your gun, want to learn

Plus, if she finally has enough of me, I don't want a slow miserable death of a gut shot with a .32, and don't cripple me; blast me with the .40 and call it done. Jus kidding..... mostlly...

I've found that after banging of a couple hundred 12 gauge shells, you actually have shoot a .22 LR better; because you don't jump or flinch with the expected noise. Like it or not, it's your natural reflex to flinch in expectation oof the noise. Shooting somewhat of a real caliber gun, IMO, gets that out of you...

/ How not to shoot a gun...Or you can't fix Stupid #16  
Ear (double if needed, ie. both plugs and muffs) and eye protection go a long way in reducing flinching problems:). Not to mention when you are 60 you won't be saying "huh"? all the time.!

/ How not to shoot a gun...Or you can't fix Stupid #17  
A guy told/showed me once how to tell how much you jerk the trigger. Have some one drop a spent shell mid way down the mag. You will notice how much you jerk on that dumby shelll

/ How not to shoot a gun...Or you can't fix Stupid #18  
A guy told/showed me once how to tell how much you jerk the trigger. Have some one drop a spent shell mid way down the mag. You will notice how much you jerk on that dumby shelll

You would need a little more than an empty cartridge case. Most semi auto's won't feed an empty case(there are a very few that will) and you would notice the miss-feed and the slide out of battery right away and not pull the trigger.. but you could seat a bullet into an empty case (if you possessed reloading equipment.) and place it in the magazine at a random position to accomplish your goal. Of course the empty case would work fine in a revolver for the stated purpose.:)

/ How not to shoot a gun...Or you can't fix Stupid #19  
Point taken. I don't remember what they call the rounds made specifically for that.

/ How not to shoot a gun...Or you can't fix Stupid #20  
You would need a little more than an empty cartridge case. Most semi auto's won't feed an empty case(there are a very few that will) and you would notice the miss-feed and the slide out of battery right away and not pull the trigger.. but you could seat a bullet into an empty case (if you possessed reloading equipment.) and place it in the magazine at a random position to accomplish your goal. Of course the empty case would work fine in a revolver for the stated purpose.:)

They do have practice rounds just for flinching.