How not to shoot a gun...Or you can't fix Stupid

/ How not to shoot a gun...Or you can't fix Stupid #21  
For home defense I was going to teach my wife how to shoot a 1911 45. She was game so I loaded it and told her what to do. The casing ejected and hit her in the forehead and she thought she shot herself. That was it for guns for her. How in the world that happened I don't know.

/ How not to shoot a gun...Or you can't fix Stupid #22  
45 a hot load for a woman ! I'll bet she was done,

/ How not to shoot a gun...Or you can't fix Stupid #23  
I'm not a big gun guy, and I know this is a hijack of sorts.. But is a 9mm a "ok" gun for home defense? I got a good deal on a used Springfield 9mm. I know the guy was getting rid of it cheap to buy a 45. But we've been in our house for 30 yrs without incident, and I'm thinking we will be here another 20 without issues.
However, we have a travel trailer, and take it to some pretty out of the way places. So I thought the 9mm would be easy to shoot, and cheap to take to a range and get relatively proficient with it.
If I buy a heavier hollow point for self defense, would it be ok? (Sorry if I've worded this poorly, it's been a long week.)

/ How not to shoot a gun...Or you can't fix Stupid #24  
9mm seems OK for the military. A 45 does have a little more kick than a 9mm.

/ How not to shoot a gun...Or you can't fix Stupid #25  
I'm not a big gun guy, and I know this is a hijack of sorts.. But is a 9mm a "ok" gun for home defense? I got a good deal on a used Springfield 9mm. I know the guy was getting rid of it cheap to buy a 45. But we've been in our house for 30 yrs without incident, and I'm thinking we will be here another 20 without issues.
However, we have a travel trailer, and take it to some pretty out of the way places. So I thought the 9mm would be easy to shoot, and cheap to take to a range and get relatively proficient with it.
If I buy a heavier hollow point for self defense, would it be ok? (Sorry if I've worded this poorly, it's been a long week.)

9mm is fine for defense. Sure there's better maybe, but .380, 9mm, .38 special are all adequate.

/ How not to shoot a gun...Or you can't fix Stupid #26  
Thanks..
I was hoping you all would say that. The clip holds a bunch, so I guess what it lacks in knock down power, you make up for in numbers..

/ How not to shoot a gun...Or you can't fix Stupid #27  
I never thought I would own a 9MM.Had .357,.44 mags ect.I do now......there has been great improvements in all ammo ,9MM with quality defensive loads will do the job.I have a 9MM Springfield XD sub compact and a .40S&W Springfield compact.

/ How not to shoot a gun...Or you can't fix Stupid #28  
Problem with a handgun for defense it requires practice and a lot of it to become proficient with it, I'd but a cheap 12 gauge pp with a 24 in barrel and load it with mild loads! Easy to hit something and quite effective!

/ How not to shoot a gun...Or you can't fix Stupid #29  
Something loaded on the bed stand that I can grab quickly while laying in bed with one hand in the middle of the night is what I prefer. And night sights. Something instant when needed.

/ How not to shoot a gun...Or you can't fix Stupid #30  
Shot gun has some advantages. I know an ex cop who said Nothing got the bad guy on the ground faster than the click-clack of a pump shot gun. The other side is the shot gun probably stays in a closet farther from you, and your less likely to get it when woken up.

I read a study once: people where given a semi auto military style rifle (not an assault rifle, as by definition that is automatic...) and a pistol and presented with situations. Something like 90% of the time the people grabbed the pistol. They did note that nearly all of the 10% who grabbed the rifle/carbine where ex military. It was a discussion regarding carbines/rifles for use by law enforcement.