Your thoughts on my future carreer change

/ Your thoughts on my future carreer change #11  
i think you should write a business plan first. it will force you to consider all the expenses in creating the project and then running it.

Eddie, I am the ultimate devil's advocate when it comes to a new business and career changes, but not knowing your demographic and enough about you personally I will not comment in detail. The above quote is good advice though.
Another poster commented he thought your idea was 'a winner'. Like the rest of us we wish you the best, but I don't recommend thinking this way when you have so much at stake.
Having said that I'm sure you will do a good job whatever you do.

Terry

/ Your thoughts on my future carreer change #12  
Eddie, I am the ultimate devil's advocate when it comes to a new business and career changes, but not knowing your demographic and enough about you personally I will not comment in detail. The above quote is good advice though.
Another poster commented he thought your idea was 'a winner'. Like the rest of us we wish you the best, but I don't recommend thinking this way when you have so much at stake.
Having said that I'm sure you will do a good job whatever you do.

Terry

Measure twice then again and cut once...I agree...:thumbsup:

/ Your thoughts on my future carreer change #13  
Eddie I like to make lists and this is just me thinking out loud. I like the idea of wedding (1 day "guests") vs rv park (long term guests).
1. Who would cater, would they be responsible for their own food? could you add a premium of offering things like a pig roast etc? what type of permits, licences would that require?
2. Photography you have some awesome areas on your property. Would you be able to transport people to them? or is there access to get the wedding party to those areas?
3. Reception hall, what type of decoration/interior design would work best? or would you offer an empty shell that they could decorate themselves? Do you need a liquor license or would it be byob? Septic or sewer?
4. How many could you seat? Prep area for the food, dance floor? outdoor area?
5. Proximity of hotels, will they shuttle people to your place to cut down on drunk driving?
6. How much liability insurance would you need, could you form an llc and "rent" yourself the property to protect yourself legally?
7. Dj, music system, lights for the dance floor?
8. Handicap accessibility?
9. Would they be able to get married on the property? Seating for that and dinners tables etc....
By the way congrats on your upcoming wedding!

/ Your thoughts on my future carreer change #14  
I like the idea; actually I like it better than the RV park idea where the buildings were going to look primitive. Looking at expansion possibilities before you build anything is very wise.

Suggestions:

1. Look at total possible annual revenue. There are only so many weekends in the year during "wedding season". All of your costs and your income has to come out of this. In fact, the costs come first, your personal income is the last item paid.

2. Your areas need to be far enough away from each other and the highway so that each can have their ceremony unspoiled by road noise or a loud band at an adjacent ceremony.

3. Look at wedding trends both in your area and in the US as a whole. Where we live, the trend is for couples to not get married any more, just live together. In 15 years, revenue might be lower.

4. Costs & Security. Weddings will always have extra costs. As many of these should be put on the wedding party as possible. For instance, security. Some percentage of weddings end up with serious fights and sometime general brawls. Doesn't seem like it should be that way, but when people add alcohol, family feuds, and possible thug friends of the wedding party it happens. Not always, but enough times that you should have a plan. Require 2 or 3 uniformed guards to direct parking and prevent fights. Whatever happens, you should never go out yourself to deal with a disturbance.

5. Work with some wedding planners before you build anything. What would be the way they want facilities laid out? This also gives you free publicity before you open.

6. Same with caterers for food before you build. What layout of roads would give good service access, while letting the actual wedding party not see any of the behind the scenes, nuts and bolts stuff of how it happened. The garbage truck and dumpsters need to be there, but the guests don't need to see them.

7. Liquor license. Do you need one? How long does it take to get one?

8. Clean up crew. Who is going to clean up after each use? They need to be absolutely reliable. The team that arrives to decorate for an expensive Saturday ceremony does not want the old stuff from the previous, low cost Friday night party there when they arrive.

9. Shift work. You will need Friday night cleanup and setup for Saturday, same for Saturday night cleanup and setup for Sunday. Who does this in your area?

10. Garbage removal. Do you want larger dumpsters or more garbage trucks? Think hard about this, there will be a lot of food prep and cleanup. Dumpsters will smell in hot weather, even "empty" ones. How do you handle this?

11. I think you said you had a sewer system which pumped to a public facility of some sort. This is good, but the surge capacity might have to be greater than for an RV park. All of the food prep will have to be done at once.

12. I presume you will start with one facility and then more as you have success. Plan out the siting and construction now. No one is going to want to have a wedding right next to a construction site, so visual screening during construction will be important.

13. Janitorial Service. Grounds, restrooms and food prep areas have to be cleaned before each ceremony. Who does this, and when? Do you need enough outdoor lighting to clean the grounds at night? Even a small amount of litter makes the place look trashy, and many of the previous guests were drunk and not on their best manners the night before.

Good luck, and I think you will come up with a lot more questions. None of them are show-stoppers, but a little planning ahead will keep things elegant and desirable for quite a while.

Dave

/ Your thoughts on my future carreer change #15  
I'm kinda in the same situation. 3 years sago we were able to buy the farm that we were keeping our horse at. We had leased the front pasture and barn for 5 years. I had 1 boarder at the time that I cut her board back if she would stay and help me move in case the sale fell through.
~ The day of closing I started knocking down trees and moving stuff. The previous owner had done nothing to the property since they bought it in 98. I started clearing in earnest that winter watching the brush piles stack up. I had my logs sawed in to fence board and put in new fence and replaced a lot of old rotten fence. And the brush and stumps keep piling up. I have pretty good fences in now but still have more clearing to do.
~ I have put so much work in to this place it hard to believe. I also have big plans for businesses like a wedding area by the pond and trail rides. The Dead Horse campground for layover traffic. A petting zoo and play area near a big riding arena where children could play while mothers ride. Chuck wagon dinners with entertainment. All sorts of ideas.
~ But I am concentrating on getting more boarders in first to help pay for it. But the problem there is people come look at the place and something that's not perfect turns them off. They never realize what it Offset worked perfect good job sherrif.looked like 3 years ago. They just say sure we will get back to you. Luckily I have been able to get several good boarders that at least pays some of the expenses.
~ What I'm tryin to say that no matter what you do or how good your close friends say the place looks some are looking for top notch and can't look over renovation messes even if it doesn't bother what they are there for.
~Good luck on your venture and maybe you can offer me some tips.

/ Your thoughts on my future carreer change #16  
They never realize what it looked like 3 years ago. I don't know where that garble came from.

/ Your thoughts on my future carreer change #17  
Eddie, my wife and I wanted a very low key wedding with just a couple of friends and family. Her friend offered to fix up her small barn for the wedding. My wife is a horse lover and all for it, but I was a bit skeptic. It turned out to be a great idea! I told her friend that I thought that she was onto something with the idea. She hasn't really been pursuing the idea much, but when she made a recent comment on fb the requests starting coming in.

You never know until you try.

/ Your thoughts on my future carreer change #18  
The business plan is really important.

I would try to find out where event halls make their money. Is the basic rental going to provide enough net return, or is it critical to have some added service such as a bar or catering?

Catering seems to be a growing business. Could you partner up with someone who wants to be in the catering business but doesn't have the food prep facilities? You could earn income for every event they cater on or off premises so to speak if they pay you rent or by-the-event fees.

Is your geographic area growing in population to provide an expanding potential market?

Can you identify lacking or missing offerings in the existing venue providers, some unmet or poorly met need that you could fill?

There was a weekend barn restaurant up the road from us in Ohio. They served chicken/ham type dinners every Sunday, rented out the hall for events on other days of the week. A BBQ pit would probably be a Texas equivalent.

I know nothing about that sort of business, but would you be satisfied with a 10% (or whatever %) annual net profit on your invested capital?

Would you be willing to sell the business and facilities later in life, and could you locate it on your land such that you would feel comfortable with that?

/ Your thoughts on my future carreer change #19  
Eddie -
Obviously you are only thinking out loud.

1. The future Mrs. doesn't like a trailer park
2. The future Mrs. likes the idea of weddings
3. You job is to keep the future Mrs. happy.
mamaainthappy1.jpg

If you develop for the wedding venue you can probably change to an RV park. And since I don't know what the hotel facilities are like in your area you might even want to have a few "cabins" or RV facilities on the site any ways for wedding guests.

/ Your thoughts on my future carreer change #20  
A wedding is a highly emotional event for all involved. It kind of sounds like running a crisis center 24-7. Your wife may deal with customers and enjoy it.
What do you have in your area that would appeal to RV owners, how far from your location ? Texas is a good spot for retired snow bird RV owners many will return year after year.
I would first get married and enjoy the next 6 months with your new wife.
Next I would get a job for at least 3 months each ( even minimum wage ) at a local RV campground and wedding provider. It will give you a taste of how things work on someone else's dime, and they will pay for your mistakes not you.
Go to work for the companies that successfully run the type of operation you would like to have, lots of good information floating around. Subcontractors, advertising contacts , customer lists, and other things most learned the hard and expensive way.
Both operations are a huge cash outlay better to do it right the first time. Try to plan to keep your and fathers house separated from commercial operation.
I personally would probably rather deal with a retired snow bird couple ( RV ) more than some 23 YO high strung bride and all of her relatives.
Good Luck in whatever you decide. You are a great builder and your post are 100 % correct in my opinion. I have learned a lot from you.
Scott