Do You Have a Web Source For Free Aerial Photos???

/ Do You Have a Web Source For Free Aerial Photos??? #1  

NY_Yankees_Fan

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX 2200
Mapquest.com has stopped, for some unknown reason, displaying aerial photos. The only other site I know of is terraserver-usa.com but the photos are black and white and is hard to pick up any detail. For my job aerial photos are helpful to illustrate the location of the building and surrounding buildings to our underwriters. Does anyone know of a free web site that will provide color aerial photos?

Thanks

/ Do You Have a Web Source For Free Aerial Photos??? #2  
Other than the ones you mention, I can't think of one, although our local county government has them available on line for free. So you could move here, to Northern Indiana, to make them relavent to you. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Or maybe check with your local county government.

I think you'll see fewer and fewer free services as time goes on. It costs money to make that stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Do You Have a Web Source For Free Aerial Photos??? #3  
Re: Do You Have a Web Source For Free Aerial Photo

Try the county in which the property is located. I know the two
counties in which I have property have online access to their
arial maps. I think they are blank and white though. If the
online photos are not good enough call the county GIS office. I
think one of the counties has much better photos available at
the office. They have been very helpful to me over the years...

Later,
Dan McCarty

/ Do You Have a Web Source For Free Aerial Photos??? #5  
Terra Server is the only one that is left that is free that I am aware of. My GPS software uses it. The problem with Terra Server at least with my GPS software is the fact it is over ten years old on most views.

murph

/ Do You Have a Web Source For Free Aerial Photos??? #6  
Re: Do You Have a Web Source For Free Aerial Photo

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( ............. I think they are blank and white though.....
Later,
Dan McCarty )</font>

aren't they difficult to view???? LOL.... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Do You Have a Web Source For Free Aerial Photos??? #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Mapquest.com has stopped, for some unknown reason, displaying aerial photos. )</font>

They must be having some type of problem, for not only don't they offer the Aerial Photo tab, you can't even display the BIG MAP currently.

I'm hoping both those features return in the near future.

/ Do You Have a Web Source For Free Aerial Photos??? #8  
Not a websource, but several here have mentioned contacting your county government. Your local federal NRCS office (formerly SCS) often has a "current" set of air photos for their area. Might give them a try...Don't know that you could get 'em for free, but I think the gov has an air photo "clearing house" in Denver. The NRCS could probably give you a phone number if you decide to go that route.

/ Do You Have a Web Source For Free Aerial Photos???
This is the responce from my e-mail from mapquest.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Aerial or satellite photographs are not currently available on the MapQuest Web site at www.mapquest.com. We have forwarded your comments about the value of these images to your MapQuest user experience to the Web site producers.

GlobeXplorer, the company that provides and maintains the aerial images, sells complete image tiles of select locations for business use. You may wish to contact GlobeXplorer through their Web site at www.globexplorer.com.

Best regards,

MapQuest Consumer Customer Support
www.mapquest.com

I know globexplorer was sold, perhaps new owners what more $$, can this be possible? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Thanks all for the info you suggested.

/ Do You Have a Web Source For Free Aerial Photos??? #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( </font><font color="blueclass=small">( Mapquest.com has stopped, for some unknown reason, displaying aerial photos. )</font>

They must be having some type of problem, for not only don't they offer the Aerial Photo tab, you can't even display the BIG MAP currently.

I'm hoping both those features return in the near future. )</font>

Yeah, the site has a whole different look to me.