Termites or flying ants?

/ Termites or flying ants? #1  

coffeeman

Platinum Member
I'm in SW Pennsylvania. Do these creatures still swarm with wings this late in July?
Are there other flying things? How can I tell difference? I'm gonna guess termites are worse than ants.

Have good day. Coffeeman

/ Termites or flying ants?
Just got photos. Exactly what I need to identify
Clear enough on my phone to see good
My phone search produced too small
And not clear enough yours just rite.

Just talked with my bug guy. He kinda
Thinks its too late for termites. Of course,
he has to see bugs. Bug guy says
Ants swarm later than termites. I
Hope he's right. Since he's going to look
a them tomorrow, I may wait till
tomorrow for news. I'll go with the ant
theory today and relax.

Thanks for the pics.... Coffeeman

/ Termites or flying ants? #5  
Okay Coffeeman, hope you get good news tomorrow. We had termites 12 years ago. Cost $1800 to get rid of them but that's cheap compared to the damage they could have done.

Okay Coffeeman, hope you get good news tomorrow. We had termites 12 years ago. Cost $1800 to get rid of them but that's cheap compared to the damage they could have done.
Thanks. Another devastating bug is carpenter ants. They are pretty big. Had them in tree next to house. Then they set up branch office in my house. I was in garage one nite and heard a crunching sound. Investigating I saw a lot of sawdust. Saw the ants too. Ants don't eat wood. They tunnel the wood out, fast. they forage for food all over an bring back to their nest.

Getting rid of ants was not hard. Bug guy set out bait that ants tracked back to their house. (also my house. Like house guests). We killed ants in tree too. Then I cut the tree.

Having fun in the country. ........... Coffeeman .

THEY WERE ANTS!! By the way, the pest guy mentioned that termites can swarm anytime from Feb to Oct. Not usual, but could happen and sually in Spring. Ants swarm more than once a year and just certain ones in the ant community do that. Their out scouting and setting up new housing

Cheers .... Coffeeman

/ Termites or flying ants? #8  
I've got an occasional flying ant and I see a carpenter ant once in a great while. About 20 years ago I had a HUGH nest of those nasty red 'n black ants up in the attic. Three cans of ant spray and the shop vac took care of that. Never returned. I do lay down a layer of Diazinon ever year, around the entire outside perimeter of the house. Keeps most all bugs out.