Profile..... everyone should have one.. do you????

/ Profile..... everyone should have one.. do you???? #1  

Junkman

Tractor
2003 Kubota BX-22
When reading posts, I like to get a little biographical sketch of the person making the post.... If (s)he is referring to a tractor that is owned, then the profile should show that. Many, possibly as many as half of the people here don't fill in the profile when registering. Why is the question of the day? If you didn't fill in your profile, what is the reason? I can understand why some people will not put certain information in, but a completely blank page????? Inquiring minds want to know.....

/ Profile..... everyone should have one.. do you???? #2  
Junkman -- I see you take the minimalist approach in your own profile! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seriously, yours is a perfect example of protecting your privacy, while giving respondents enough information about your tractor etc so they can provide meaningful answers to your questions. Sometimes I start a reply, but check the profile to try to better tailor it to the poster's situation. But finding nothing there I don't even bother!

Pete

/ Profile..... everyone should have one.. do you???? #3  
Why mind? A farmer, a dealer, a manufacturer, a fireman, a painter, an artist, a president,etc etc, anyone can talk here and they don't have to have a tractor to talk about and they don't have to show it in their profile even if they have. According to the traditions on the net forums, the only rule is stay on the topic, join the conversations and do exchanges. If you like to show your tractor, it's fine. If you don't like, again it is fine. Agreement is reached;-)

/ Profile..... everyone should have one.. do you???? #4  
I have seen many discussions go all over the place, as the responders didn't realize the poster was in an distant locale (like, Turkey) had very differant equipment, or whatever. The Profile sure helps.

Of course, there is the usual guy posting a horrific experience with brand x, who everyone suspecs of being with brand Y.

And then, there is guys like <font color="blue"> spencer200 </font> who can do whatever they want, and we are all grateful for their input.

/ Profile..... everyone should have one.. do you???? #5  
<font color="blue"> Why mind? A farmer, a dealer, a manufacturer, a fireman, a painter, an artist, a president,etc etc, anyone can talk here and they don't have to have a tractor to talk about and they don't have to show it in their profile even if they have. According to the traditions on the net forums, the only rule is stay on the topic, join the conversations and do exchanges. If you like to show your tractor, it's fine. If you don't like, again it is fine. Agreement is reached;-) </font>

Well said /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Let's just have some good conversations and stop worrying about what qualifies each of us to participate.

It is interesting to read some of the profiles, though... I personaly like to see where each person lives. I almost always have met someone or know someone that lives near them(near being a completely arbitrary distance in my brain /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif).

I don't know anyone that lives in Turkey. I do have aquaintances that live in other parts of the world and it amazes me that we can all converse so easily over the internet. What is even more amazing is that so many people around the world speak English as a second language, but most Americans can't speak another language fluently(me, included). I'm teaching myself Spanish. I can read it so-so, but can't speak it or understand it if spoken.

Anyway.... if you want to fill out your profile, that's OK. If you don't, that's OK, too. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Profile..... everyone should have one.. do you???? #6  
I like to have them filled out. A lot of times, the reply is partially dependent on the location of the person you are talking to. The reply can also be dependent on the type of equipment or even the persons back ground. If the profile is filled out you don't have to ask these thinks to help or the other person doesn't have to keep repeating each time.

/ Profile..... everyone should have one.. do you????
If a person is making a reply to a electrical question, it would be nice to know if they are an electrical engineer or electrical inspector that knows what they are speaking about. A post with incorrect information could cause some on to become electrocuted before someone else corrected that misinformation. A mention of their expertise would add credibility to their statements. The same goes for mechanical engineering questions..... The same for questions of welding or machine shop work. It is nice to discuss different topics, but when advice is dispensed and the person is speaking like an authority, it is nice to know what their level of expertise is. There are a lot of questions on the site presently about building a pole barn. Most of the people that have posted have experience in that type of building and back up their statements with facts and drawings. Bad information could lead to a catastrophe at some time in the future if the "builder" were to follow advice that wasn't sound building techniques......

All that I suggested in the original post at the top of this thread is that people let us know what part of the world that the live and what type of tractor that they own, and any other information that they would like to post. I didn't say that they had to post anything, but that it would be nice if they were to do so. I am not looking for personal information about anyone and the "bio" is blank on many profiles. It isn't necessary for anyone to know how many children I have to take my advise on how to fix their tractor. Please don't read more into the question than was posted. If you or anyone else prefers to leave the profile blank, that is your choice and I respect that decision......

/ Profile..... everyone should have one.. do you???? #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( A farmer, a dealer, a manufacturer, a fireman, a painter, an artist, a president,etc etc, anyone can talk here and they don't have to have a tractor to talk about and they don't have to show it in their profile even if they have. )</font>

I wish that idealistic forum existed. We all have preconceived notions of the nature of our members. I didn't think about it at the time I signed up here, but I wish now that I hadn't told everyone I'm a doctor. There are a lot of stereotypes, prejudices and conclusions that people jump to when they think about doctors. On the day I registered I chose a UserID that matched what all my co-workers called me. Most people just call me "Heb", but some of the ED staff can't take all that informality and call me "Doc Heb". Truth be told, I could be standing in line and talking to you in Tractor Supply and you wouldn't suspect a thing! I can understand why some people wish to keep their identity private, and not fill in a bio.

/ Profile..... everyone should have one.. do you???? #9  
I probably go overboard on mine with too much information. Maybe I'm not clever enough to know how it can hurt me but I've pretty much gone through life that way and see no reason to change now. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Profile..... everyone should have one.. do you????
Doc...... I remember your making a statement in a medical post.... that information was more valuable because I knew that you were connected with medicine. There are more than enough snake oil merchants out there and I like the little extra assurance that comes with reading a post written by someone that knows their facts.... This is how this all started, I asked a poster about his expertise level to back up his statements that I though were flawed. That was at 10:59 AM this morning. At 10:00 AM this morning, I posted my reply to the post..... interestingly, since that time, almost every post including that of MossRoad has mirrored my 10:00 AM post. I just don't understand why the sudden upheaval of normally level headed people because I asked the question why people don't fill out the profile. If you would like to read the original thread, it may be accessed here....... . We will now resume our normal programming...... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif