New rod and reel for fishing question

/ New rod and reel for fishing question #1  

Code54

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100, Kubota BX25D,1957 Farmall Cub Lo-Boy Kubota KX91-3, BCS 853
I been kicking around buying a new rod and reel and needed some advice. I always have been Bass fishing and never really messed around doing much else so I have a very limited knowledge of other types of fishing.
Recently I got to do a little bit of Catfish fishing and got out on the river fhere in WV for the first time (always fished lakes and streams in the past). Well I had a great time and really enjoyed it so I was thinking I might expand my tackle collection so I can do this a bit more. The other thing is I get to Georgia from time to time and could play around some fishing off the docks in the salt water.
So this leads me to my question what is a decent rod and reel to do those things for maybe 100 bucks (if that is possible maybe I知 being way too cheap?)
Our current tackle is all Shimano stuff for the most part (Ok my daughters is not Shimano as I could not find a pink and black rod and reel combo made by them seems a 13 year old girl is a bit more concerned about the colors than anything, oh well she likes it and it seems to work pretty well) Anyway, this does not have to be Shimano as I know there are a lot of good brands so any ideas will help. I have mainly spinning gear as I find I seem to favor it but I do have a small bait caster I use for Bass so I guess I am open to all suggestions.
Anyway I really know nothing about this and am looking for any information or suggest you all may have. Thanks in advance.

/ New rod and reel for fishing question #2  
I have Shimano's and Mitchell open face spinning reels. Both excellent. I prefer open face spinning reels. I do have a couple of bait casters for trolling. The nicest open face I have now is a Pflueger President. Not that expensive. The sky is the limit on rods. My favorite is a Rogue rod. It's expensive but a lot of rod for the money.

/ New rod and reel for fishing question #3  
the best rod in my humble opinion is the Ugly Stick

/ New rod and reel for fishing question #4  
I have several bait casting reels including some Abu Garcia and Shimano but my favorite reels are the Shimano spinning reels in the 4000 series carbon fiber (or whatever the black plastic ones are made from) The 4000 series can handle just about any fresh water fish in any lake or stream when coupled to the correct rod. It is good for salt water also as most of the components are plastic, stainless steel and brass. A little wash in fresh water and oil and it is good as new. Not many less than $100 reels will stand up as well to salt water. I bought a couple not long ago for spares when I found them for $16. The 2000, 3000 series are the same price and good for smaller fish and lighter tackle but can also handle a large fish if you play it right, they just don't hold as much line.
I also think that the Ugly Stick rods are the best buy for the money. I know lots of fishing Dudes think that a rod isn't any good unless it cost $200 or more and may be OK for the professional on the Bassmasters tour, but the weekend fisherman can get by famously with a 4 or 5 Ugly Sticks for the price of one high dollar carbon graphite rod and they wont break like the carbon fiber rods. I also like the Berkeley Cherrywood brand of rods. They are lightweight, yet strong and flexible. Very good for small game fish like crappie and bream and can handle the larger bass as long as you don't try to lift them out of the water like the pros do with their super stiff rods. I like the medium and medium heavy tips for everything except trout where a light weight tip and #4 line is best for a good fight.

/ New rod and reel for fishing question
Thanks - I will have to check out the offerings from "Ulgy Stick" -that is not a bad idea. I know I am only going to use it here and there so high dollar stuff is really not needed. I just never fished for anything bigger than Bass so this is an all new arena for me.
Thanks for the idea and thoughts

/ New rod and reel for fishing question #6  
I used to fish every weekend, 3 days per week, when in Canada and never bought anything in rods more than $30. I caught a 50# Northern Pike with a 4000 Shimano reel, and a heavy action Walmart special rod. Where I was (Northern Alberta) only place to get fishing tackle was Walmart and they had a good selection of low to medium priced tackle. It worked well even on the northern fly-in lakes where some monster fish hang out. I have 2 huge Plano tackle boxes full of tackle plus the biggest tackle bag with about 10 plastic tackle boxes in it for normal fishing and another 3 boxes of light trout tackle. One of the large plano boxes is labeled "For the big boys" and has nothing smaller than a #4 spinner bait, 8" long spoons, dipsy divers, 4 oz lead bars for getting down deep when trolling etc. in the lakes with large pike and walleye and large lake trout. Man I miss those days of Fishin' Canada. I do have some large striped bass in one of the lakes but can never seem to have time to go try them out since it always seems to be something needing done with the property.

/ New rod and reel for fishing question #7  
When I was a kid my dad and I would go fishing all of the time. We would use fly rods and catch blue gill and bass for the most part. We could go out in the canoe and catch dozen or two fish in a few hours.

My dad still has the rods we used even though he has moved on to new rods made from more modern materials. A few years ago, I picked up my old fly rod and it sure was heavy compared to the rods of today. :laughing::laughing::laughing: The new rods sure a light, which is nice, but we caught boat loads of fish on those old, heavy rods. I sure can't see paying big bucks for a fresh water fishing rod.

Later,
Dan

/ New rod and reel for fishing question #8  
Have several Ugly Stiks, good rods, very durable; however; IMHO they lack the feel of a nice graphite rod. On the other hand you won't snap the tip off an Ugly Stik loading it in a boat or hitting it off the edge of a pier, boat, car trunk etc. (don't ask me how I know).

Ugly Stik makes a dedicated line of "Catfish" rods, very nice, you can pull a very large catfish off the bottom with little difficulty and no fear of breaking the rod. I use mine for hauling snakeheads out of the vegetation. We fish for them so far back in the weeds you can almost walk on the surface. Once hooked the snakeheads dive for cover and roll in the vegetation, Ugly Stik catfish rod hauls them right out, 10 lbs of snakehead, 10 lbs of weeds. Pound for pound snakeheads may be one of the best fighters, very good eating as well, just watch your fingers.

Q

Thanks - I will have to check out the offerings from "Ulgy Stick" -that is not a bad idea. I know I am only going to use it here and there so high dollar stuff is really not needed. I just never fished for anything bigger than Bass so this is an all new arena for me.
Thanks for the idea and thoughts

/ New rod and reel for fishing question
Thanks! What length and action are you using quebota. I won't mind going for snakeheads as I been reading about them a lot recently. Don't think we have them in our area (yet). Also what reel and line weight. Thanks again I appreciate the info guys