Automotive Buffer

/ Automotive Buffer #1  

tomnky

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2200
I want to here recommendations for a buffer to be used on a car or truck.

What preference if any Do You have as far as brands and features?

/ Automotive Buffer #3  
Electric or pneumatic? I've owned a couple of electric ones; Black & Decker and Craftsman. No real complaints with either, but not particularly impressive either. But some of my air tool paint and body shop customers had the CP865P and I've repaired a few of them. Pretty impressive, but at 23.5 cfm, it needs a big compressor to keep up. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Automotive Buffer #4  
tomnky

I have a Sears’s 9" random orbital polisher that I use on my 32' fiberglass boat. After a couple of hours my arms are so sore that I can't continue.

My dock partner loaned me his Porter -Cable 6" Variable-Speed Random-Orbit Polisher what a difference it makes with getting the job done. No more sore arms. Check it out HERE.

When I did the cockpit area of the boat I used my Bosch 6″ Electronic Variable Speed Random Orbit Palm Sander/Polisher. Check it out HERE. I have had it for almost as long as the Sears but never thought of using it for buffing.

I have used both and would recommend either one on a boat. Not to sure what they would do to some of the clear coats that are on today’s cars and trucks.

/ Automotive Buffer
That's correct and to help restore the finish in some cases.

/ Automotive Buffer
I hear that Bird , all I am looking for is one for general use to help these tired old bones get the job done,Primarily to get some light scratches out as well .

I have never tried one on clearcoat though.

I can probably run a small one on air because my compressor is not all that great (5hp with a 30 gallon tank).

/ Automotive Buffer #7  
The Makita is state of the art with controlled speeds ranging from 1000-3000rpm, but overkill unless you need to do some compounding. I have one of those $39 Sears buffers. Does a great job, but if I had it to do over again I'd choose one with more readily available (and inexpensive) buffing pads and wax bonnets

Pete

/ Automotive Buffer #8  
While I have an 8" from Sears (that was fairly inexpensive and gets the job done fine), I have heard that the Porter Cable 7424P 6" is the best one out there, if money is no object.

/ Automotive Buffer #9  
The most widely used random orbital buffer used by the enthusiast is the Porter Cable 7424 or the 7336SP (7336SP sold at Lowe's for $109 with a 6" fixed plate foam polishing wheel and a sander plate). If you want to be hardcore, go to "properautocare" and purchase a 5" eurethane velcro disc backing plate for $16.95 and their 6" velcro attached pads (different color pads used with different polishes/compunds depending on paint condition). Remember a random orbital polisher is best used to properly work the polish or compound into the paint. It is not used for buffing off the polish, applying the wax, or removing the wax. It can be done for those items I just mentioned, but if you use a quality product there is almost no residue to buff off. A 100% cotton towel or microfiber towel is much better in removing residues. If you are going to apply a one step cleaner wax a buffer is not worth it. If you are going to do a 2 step process (polish/wax), the random orbital buffer will work the polish into the paint much better and easier than by hand.

/ Automotive Buffer
Bob,
Have You ordered items from this website?
Looks like they offer quite a substantial number of supplies.