Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 41
  1. #1
    Elite Member Sigarms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,359
    Location
    Mid north west in the state of N.C
    Tractor
    F3080

    Default What's your best "worst" investment as far as tools?

    I was thinking about this the other day.

    Years ago spent some big dollars on a leaf blower for 8 acres around the house due to the leaves that kept piling up.

    Last 6 years haven't used that leaf blower one time for leafs (mulching kit on one mower works great or I just "let em go" LOL).

    However, that leaf blower has been invaluable (instead of using my compressor) for cleaning off my mowers from debris and getting some burn piles going strong.

    Made me think that leaf blower was the best darn "worst" buy I've ever made

    Anyone else spend money on a tool and end up using it for something completely different than you'd thought you'd use it for?
    Just because you can't do everything, doesn't mean that you have to chose to do nothing.

  2. #2
    Veteran Member Deere Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,056
    Location
    Hee Haw He!!, TN
    Tractor
    John Deere 3720

    Default Re: What's your best "worst" investment as far as tools?

    I made a weight box for X740 garden tractor and worked great and even had a PVC pipe in it for a shovel or rake. Then I got a bigger tractor so the weight box sat around until I started using it for a clothesline umbrella. That worked better for that than a weight for the tractor.
    JD 3720 with R4s
    X740

  3. #3
    Super Star Member LD1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    10,138
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Tractor
    Kubota l3400

    Default Re: What's your best "worst" investment as far as tools?

    Did something similar with a tractor counterweight. Made one about 400# Out of concrete. Really too small for my tractor and I always have the blade or bushhog on anyway. So I use it for the basket ball hoop instead of filling the base with sand or water
    ".........there is only one way to find out."
    "Ok, hold my beer and watch this.........."


    Ford 5500 Backhoe
    Kubota L3400GST W/LA463 FEL
    2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 Diesel
    8N Rebuilt and restored
    Bushhog 306
    3 Homemade wood hauling trailers
    Dolmar 6400 84cc ported
    Sachs-Dolmar 120SI Ported
    (4) Sachs-Dolmar 116SI Ported
    Dolmar PS540
    Sachs-Dolmar 115i
    Sachs-Dolmar 117
    Sachs-Dolmar 112

  4. #4
    Super Member 2LaneCruzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    6,291
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Tractor
    John Deere LX172

    Default Re: What's your best "worst" investment as far as tools?

    Not exactly on point, but it gives me an opportunity to tell this story on myself. I recently needed a short piece of heavy duty electric cord for my electric leaf blower. When I got to Lowe's, I had to ask for help; the lady in turn had to page this guy to drop what he was doing and come help me. I was a bit embarrassed to ask him to cut 18 inches of electric cord, so I sheepishly asked for 10' foot. I got home, fixed my leaf blower and had about 8 or so feet of heavy duty electric cord left. After thinking about it, next time at Lowe's I bought both a female and a male plug-in and made an extension cord out of it. Darned if it isn't the most useful cord I have; I use it all of the time. It's just the right length for my shop when I use my hand held tools and some of the bench tools or shop vac. I had to go buy a similar cord for my wife, who had confiscated it and was using it on her sewing machine!
    Have Wings, Will Travel.

  5. #5
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,251
    Location
    USA
    Tractor
    Bobcat

    Default Re: What's your best "worst" investment as far as tools?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sigarms View Post
    I was thinking about this the other day.

    Years ago spent some big dollars on a leaf blower for 8 acres around the house due to the leaves that kept piling up.

    Last 6 years haven't used that leaf blower one time for leafs (mulching kit on one mower works great or I just "let em go" LOL).

    However, that leaf blower has been invaluable (instead of using my compressor) for cleaning off my mowers from debris and getting some burn piles going strong.

    Made me think that leaf blower was the best darn "worst" buy I've ever made

    Anyone else spend money on a tool and end up using it for something completely different than you'd thought you'd use it for?
    I actually started using my back pack blower more often this spring to blow off my mower than I ever have.
    It works much better than my air compressor!

  6. #6
    Silver Member Walkin Horse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    172
    Location
    Chesterfield Va
    Tractor
    Shibuara Ford New Holland 555D NH Workmaster 55

    Default Re: What's your best "worst" investment as far as tools?

    Once I bought a big lick Walkin horse for $2500. Cost me a lot to have it shod and upkeep on him. We showed him some and wound up selling him for $80,000. But that just put me deeper in horse debt somehow.

  7. #7
    Super Star Member k0ua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    14,616
    Location
    Branson, Mo.
    Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

    Default Re: What's your best "worst" investment as far as tools?

    Quote Originally Posted by 2LaneCruzer View Post
    Not exactly on point, but it gives me an opportunity to tell this story on myself. I recently needed a short piece of heavy duty electric cord for my electric leaf blower. When I got to Lowe's, I had to ask for help; the lady in turn had to page this guy to drop what he was doing and come help me. I was a bit embarrassed to ask him to cut 18 inches of electric cord, so I sheepishly asked for 10' foot. I got home, fixed my leaf blower and had about 8 or so feet of heavy duty electric cord left. After thinking about it, next time at Lowe's I bought both a female and a male plug-in and made an extension cord out of it. Darned if it isn't the most useful cord I have; I use it all of the time. It's just the right length for my shop when I use my hand held tools and some of the bench tools or shop vac. I had to go buy a similar cord for my wife, who had confiscated it and was using it on her sewing machine!
    That story got a smile out of me.
    James KUA

    Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN


  8. #8
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    363
    Location
    Great North of Michigan
    Tractor
    Kubota L2500, Oliver Super55

    Default Re: What's your best "worst" investment as far as tools?

    My big mishap was buying a single bottom plow for my food plots. It's takes forever to plow a food plot with single bottom. I have ended up using it quite a bit though for burying wire for my outbuildings and invisible fence and for irrigation lines. Also works really good for removing smaller trees with the stump. Cut the roots with the plow and the tree goes over quite easily with the bucket afterwards.

  9. #9
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3,607
    Location
    nicholson, pa
    Tractor
    John Deer Lt160

    Default Re: What's your best "worst" investment as far as tools?

    I would have to say its a bandsaw. It takes up a decent amount of room and I just don't use it. I thought I would use it for cutting out spoon blanks but I use an ax instead.
    www.stormspoons.com my website
    http://www.etsy.com/people/Forgeblast?ref=pr_profile
    Is where I also have spoons listed.

  10. #10
    Silver Member vulcancowboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    120
    Location
    Duncannon, Pennsylvania
    Tractor
    Kubota L3400HST

    Default Re: What's your best "worst" investment as far as tools?

    Quote Originally Posted by Walkin Horse View Post
    Once I bought a big lick Walkin horse for $2500. Cost me a lot to have it shod and upkeep on him. We showed him some and wound up selling him for $80,000. But that just put me deeper in horse debt somehow.
    Of course, you know how to make a million dollars in the horse business don't you??? You start out with 2 million!
    L3400 HST FEL & backhoe

    "Political correctness is tyranny with manners." Charlton Heston

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Buying "the best" Garden tools
    By motocephalic in forum Rural Living
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-24-2014, 06:28 PM
  2. "tools & equipment" forum
    By Dutch445 in forum News/Feedback
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-19-2011, 08:34 PM
  3. Bare-bones tools necessities for "home" shop????
    By Big Wave D in forum Welding
    Replies: 205
    Last Post: 08-04-2010, 11:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.