TV ads

/ TV ads #1  

orezok

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
Has anyone else noticed that 1/3 of TV ads are for drugs, 1/3 are for lawyers suing drug and medical device manufacturers, 1/3 are for the "next new thing you just have to have and 1/3 are so dumb that you either don't understand what they are selling or wouldn't buy it anyway. Yeah, that's 4/3 but who's counting!

/ TV ads #2  
Mostly what we see in our area is insurance adds. The ambulance chasers come in 2nd.

/ TV ads #3  
And the rest of TV is so called reality shows. Media will be the end of this country.

/ TV ads #4  
Many will try what they have seen on the reality shows. At least I hope so.

/ TV ads #5  
I'm not swayed much by TV advertising, and I'd never buy from Geico . . . but their "Words Can Hurt" ad is a crack up . . . really well done.

Most of the rest of TV is geared towards the "dumbed down" America that unfortunately a great many of us have become. When National Geographic and History Channel are mired in reality crap, you know there's little hope left for TV. They play what the couch potatoes wanna see.

bumper

/ TV ads #6  
Man, I could really go ballistic on this subject. I turn the sound off during commercials and some of them become quite humorous if you watch and add you own dialogue. I was hoping the Science channel, Nat Geo & Discovery would keep their standards high, but alas - they too are succumbing to bouts of "dumbed down" programing.

/ TV ads #7  
I rarely watch live TV. Any program I wish to watch, I record it so I can fast forward thru the commercials. It takes about 35 minutes to watch an hour of programming with several minutes of that being on fast forward. I hate watching some of the programs that have 2 minutes of program and then almost 10 minutes of advertising. They take an hour show and make it 3 hours long. DVR is the only way to go with TV today.

/ TV ads #8  
I sometimes think TV ads are more likely to make me NOT buy their product than to entice me to buy.:laughing:

I'm another one who would avoid GEICO insurance. How many are old enough to know what GEICO stood for? (G)overnment (E)mployees (I)nsurance (CO)mpany. If I remember right, they first tried to sell me insurance in 1959 when I became a clerk in the U.S. Post Office.

And how many are old enough to remember when it was illegal (at least in Texas) for a lawyer to advertise beyond a listing in the Yellow Pages of the phone directory.

The drug ads are not likely to ever get me to buy their drugs, but I do sometimes get a laugh at them when they run through their list of possible "side effects" that sound much worse than the problem they're intended to cure.:laughing:

/ TV ads #9  
I guess I'm less tolerant than most because I gave up on tv just about 2 years ago and don't miss it a bit.My wife never was much of a fan but from time to time will turn it on for something and when the grand kids are here they always have one on but usually pay a lot more attention to their phones or other electronic gizmos.I think it's a shame that something with so much potential has turned into such a mess.

/ TV ads #10  
I rarely watch live TV. Any program I wish to watch, I record it so I can fast forward thru the commercials. It takes about 35 minutes to watch an hour of programming with several minutes of that being on fast forward. I hate watching some of the programs that have 2 minutes of program and then almost 10 minutes of advertising. They take an hour show and make it 3 hours long. DVR is the only way to go with TV today.

Same here!