New Year's Day traditions

/ New Year's Day traditions #1  

wroughtn_harv

Tractor
2013 Volvo MC85C
New Year\'s Day traditions

We have one. Dinner must have cooked cabbage, cornbread, blackeyed peas and pork.

I think it's a southern thing. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif But my wife's a little cajun so she always adds Extra Hot Rotel to the peas and sausage. That makes it a real southern thing. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

How about ya'll? Any traditions, dietary and or others to celebrate the New Year you'd care to share?

/ New Year's Day traditions #2  
Re: New Year\'s Day traditions

We always have blackeyed peas; got to have those. The rest is optional and varies; usually ham, but today it was turkey, taters and gravy, macaroni and cheese, and chocolate cake (birthday cake left from my wife's birthday yesterday /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif).

Harv, we spent the winter of '71-'72 in Des Plaines, IL (I spent that school year at Northwestern University) and we could not find any blackeyed peas in the grocery stores, so we bought a good stock of them when we came home for Christmas to take back with us. Now those folks from up north said they never ate blackeyed peas, but we had a dozen or so couples, and their kids, got together on New Year's Day for a big potluck dinner, and I think my wife fixed 6 cans of blackeyed peas with ham diced up in them, and there wasn't a single one left that evening. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ New Year's Day traditions

Originally I didn't care much for the blackeyed peas. But when it was explained in a loving way to me that my abstaining affected her luck as well as my own. Well, I've adjusted. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Of course her adding the extra hot rotel didn't do any harm either.

/ New Year's Day traditions #4  

Harv, I'm glad your wife's teaching your properly. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Of course I am very fond of blackeyed peas anytime; especially if accompanied by fried okra and cornbread. And it sure doesn't hurt anything to have some sliced tomatoes and onions along with it, and even a little squash, fried or steamed. We just don't often use the Rotel tomatoes, except with the ground beef/sausage/Velveeta cheese/Rotel tomato dip that we make occasionally, but they are pretty good in the blackeyed peas.

And being back in town certainly has it drawbacks; we've been having to buy store bought blackeyed peas, but today one of our daughters still had a couple of jars of them that my wife canned in 2002. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ New Year's Day traditions #5  

The Southern tradition is blackeyed peas, but when we moved to Florida, we brought our Northern tradition with us (Florida's not much of a Southern state, anyway /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif). So, it's sauerkraut and pork for us -- it means good luck and financial improvement in the coming year, and you ignore it at your peril. Actually, I don't know what bad things could happen, because I've never ignored it...

/ New Year's Day traditions #6  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Dinner must have cooked cabbage, cornbread, blackeyed peas and pork.

)</font>
ok i love cooked cabbage, cornbread, pork, but can u tell me what are BLACKEYED PEAS, just a poor northern boy! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif oh yeh! send me some!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ New Year's Day traditions #7  

Don, apparently the sauerkraut and pork means the same thing up north as the blackeyed peas do down south. I love my blackeyed peas, but I also like the sauerkraut; only trouble is my wife won't touch it under any circumstances, so she occasionally (very rarely) buys one of the smallest cans in the supermarket for me. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ New Year's Day traditions #8  

Harv, of course blackeyed peas and cornbread are a tradition here, but my girlfriend was born in Ohio, so we had cabbage rolls and sauerkraut too with a healthy helping of mashed potatoes. A nice salad and a big ole glass of iced tea to wash it all down. Anyone with a lick o' sense would realize a meal like that was good luck just by itself. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Oh! I almost forgot. I baked up a couple dozen ranger cookies just because they're my girlfriend's favorite and she really likes my recipe. Yum! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ New Year's Day traditions #9  

Frank, try this link for a little information about blackeyed peas and recipes. The town of Athens, TX has an annual blackeyed pea festival. In some places, they're also known as cow peas. My parents (and I as a baby) lived a short time in Baltimore in the early '40s and my parents have told many times about being unable to find blackeyed peas there until someone told them to go to a feed store, and they did. While I've never found any I didn't like, my preference is for the young green ones with a few snaps (i.e., broken like green beans). However, I had one neighbor that I let pick from my patch and he and his wife wanted only the larger ones, all shelled, but still fresh. And my youngest brother and his wife prefer the dried ones. You can buy dried ones and cook them like dried beans or you can buy canned ones that were either fresh or dried before being processed.

/ New Year's Day traditions #10  

Here in Aussie land we have no such traditions on new years day. Most of us just sleep and lounge about with hangovers. Its normally to hot to do much except perhaps go to the beach or water ski. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif