Christmas Tree Farmer

/ Christmas Tree Farmer #1  

gevans4010

Tractor
B3030 Kubota
Hello
I have Kubota equipment. I need smaller equipment for my tree operation.
I have a L-3750 my biggest tractor w/loader. B-3030 w/60 in land pride, B-1515 w/48in land pride. B-6200 w/ 50 gal spray rig.
I've been in business 31 years.

/ Christmas Tree Farmer #2  
Welcome to TBN.
I suppose it could be said I grow them as well, but don't shear them ever (I do prune up the lower branches to get clear wood in the saw logs) and I don't cut them until they are approaching at least 20 inches dbh and most are around 100 ft tall.
Lots of good info on the site.

/ Christmas Tree Farmer #4  
Welcome to TBN.
I suppose it could be said I grow them as well, but don't shear them ever (I do prune up the lower branches to get clear wood in the saw logs) and I don't cut them until they are approaching at least 20 inches dbh and most are around 100 ft tall.

I have never seen a Christmas Tree that big.

Can you show us a picture.

How do you harvest something that big, and who do you sell them to?

/ Christmas Tree Farmer #5  
I have never seen a Christmas Tree that big.

Can you show us a picture.

How do you harvest something that big, and who do you sell them to?

Welcome to TBN.

J.J.
I guess my tongue in cheek was not far enough into the cheek. Xmas tree farmers shear their trees to get the right/correct shape thus my comment about how I do not shear them.
My saying that I don't shear them was a clue that I am not a "xmas tree farmer" but a forestry timber grower.
Timber is pruned up on the lower branches to get clear wood in the saw logs so that there are no knots in the lumber. Improves the grade of the timber and the resulting lumber thus higher value. Saw logs less than 20 dbh are not high grade in general thus that comment.
I tried to include enough info that it was obvious that I did not grow xmas trees but timber trees.

I was trying to be humorous in saying that I grow trees as well as the new poster in my welcome to him.
For you it did not read that way. Sorry.

/ Christmas Tree Farmer #6  
smaller equipment doesn't say much... what do you need by smaller equipment? did ya plant rows to close? do you need a high lift kit to keep bottom tractor from hitting top of trees? how are you dealing with stumps left? are you having troubles mowing / weed eating around units?

/ Christmas Tree Farmer #7  
Well, I really did not know how tall a Christmas tree could be so I looked it up and found this.

Excerpt:

Phoenix, Ariz.
Height: 110 Feet

This might surprise you, but a Christmas tree at an outlet mall in Phoenix, Ariz. holds the title as tallest fresh-cut tree in America. To give you a reference point, this mammoth evergreen surpasses Rockefeller Center's iconic Christmas tree by 30 feet. This 110-foot-tall white fir tree towers over Dress Barn and Yogurberry and the many other stores in the Outlets at Anthem mall. It's garnished with 120 strings of LED lights, oversize ornaments and a three-foot-tall copper star. And in case you're feeling sad that the Earth has lost one more gorgeous pine tree, take heart that 12 were planted in this one's stead.

Dortmund, Germany
Height: 147.6 Feet

If you find yourself in Dortmund this December, you'll likely see the flickering lights of its enormous Christmas trees before you notice anything else about the eighth largest city in Germany. Yes, that's right: trees. The 148-foot-tall spectacle is actually the sum total of 1,700 individual red spruce trees, stuffed and stacked into a frame. Tens of thousands of lights, as well as 20 candles, create a glowing wintry scene, which you can enjoy in the Hansaplatz (market square). While admiring Dortmund's Christmas spirit, you can also partake in some holiday shopping. Hansaplatz also serves as the location of a bustling Christmas market encompassing more than 300 stalls, selling yuletide treats, and handcrafted gifts.

/ Christmas Tree Farmer #8  
Welcome to TractorByNet!

We moved your thread to the Related Topics forum. :)

/ Christmas Tree Farmer #9  
Glad to see you are still kickin'. Most of the farms around me have closed up shop. It's getting harder to find real Christmas trees, and I really don't want to succumb to the seasonal parking lot salesmen. Although I guess their trees come from a farm somewhere... I guess I am referring to the "u-pick" type farms. Is that what you do?

Is the market shrinking, or are these "u-pick" farms just finding it's not worth the trouble/liability of dealing with the public?

/ Christmas Tree Farmer #10  
Glad to see you are still kickin'. Most of the farms around me have closed up shop. It's getting harder to find real Christmas trees, and I really don't want to succumb to the seasonal parking lot salesmen. Although I guess their trees come from a farm somewhere... I guess I am referring to the "u-pick" type farms. Is that what you do?

Is the market shrinking, or are these "u-pick" farms just finding it's not worth the trouble/liability of dealing with the public?

Mike,

I have a cut it yourself farm close enough for me to walk to and carry the tree back home. There are a number of others within a short drive too. Most (if not all) of our "parking lot trees" around here are trucked in fr Canada. I start seeing the trucks on the highway sometime in early November!