Does pool water have to be disposed of properly

/ Does pool water have to be disposed of properly #1  

coffeeman

Platinum Member
I don't have a pool. But,I just had a fried tell me that he hears pool water can't be drained on street or into the ground. It should be put into city sewerage or trucked to disposal plant. Could this be true??

Cheers...Coffeeman

/ Does pool water have to be disposed of properly #2  
depends on where you are, and how dirty the water is .....

most places just let you drain on the ground / street .....

if you must send to city sewage ( and you are connected to the system , a simple pump and hose going to the toilet should suffice ) ....

/ Does pool water have to be disposed of properly #3  
maybe it is all that chlorine!! :laughing::D

/ Does pool water have to be disposed of properly #4  
We live on a lake.
The city passed a bylaw prohibiting drainage of pools and spas within 500 ft of lakes and waterways.
Be it salt or chlorine, the spillage would affect the PH balance of the water.
Algae has become a serious concern to the environment of late.

/ Does pool water have to be disposed of properly #5  
maybe it is all that chlorine!! :laughing::D

Don't laugh. We are in the process of installing a 14' diameter X 23' deep pool at work. The only concern the city had was when we go to drain the tank, we first have to neutralize all the chlorine before we pump the water into the storm drains. They don't want us to shock the water treatment plant.

/ Does pool water have to be disposed of properly #6  
While we were building GMD missile defense facilities in the PRK, we had to get a permit to dump rainwater that collected onto things!

So yea, it depends on where you live and the regs therein. I know that in Madison, AL, they outlawed sand filters due to the need to backwash them and made all new construction tie into the storm drain or sewer system (don't know which). Yep, you guessed it: $$$$

/ Does pool water have to be disposed of properly #7  
I don't have a pool. But,I just had a fried tell me that he hears pool water can't be drained on street or into the ground. It should be put into city sewerage or trucked to disposal plant. Could this be true??

Cheers...Coffeeman
What city and state does your friend live in?

When we had a chlorine pool, the moles undermined it, and 12,500 gallons went onto the ground in about 4 mintues and soaked into the lawn and was gone in about 10 minutes. Didn't affect the lawn at all.

When we had a bacquicil pool, we backflushed the sand filter onto the lawn once... and it killed the grass in about a 10' circle.

Now we have a salt water pool. We backflush into the gravel driveway about twice a year. The salt content is the same as human tears, so no issues there. I imaging over time, though, since salt does not evaporate, that it will be harder to grow weeds in the driveway, but so far it hasn't affected them. :laughing:

/ Does pool water have to be disposed of properly #8  
When we had a pool, it was plumbed initially so that backflushing the sand filter sent the water into the sanitary sewer. Of course we sold that house 25 years ago, but I believe Dallas prohibited sending pool water into the street.

/ Does pool water have to be disposed of properly #9  
Clean water from the pool dilutes the pollution in our streams and rivers. Can't have that.

/ Does pool water have to be disposed of properly #10  
I have seen ridiculous water quality issues in many states. On jobs in Louisiana and California , we were not allowed to dump the potable water coolers onto the ground (chlorine was considered a toxic waste) but we could dump thousands of gallons of raw untreated water on the ground with no problems. In Louisiana the raw water came from the Mississippi River and was surely very contaminated with all sorts of chemicals from surrounding plants but that was ok, just couldn't put that very minuscule amount of chlorine on the ground even though sunlight would render it inert in a day or so.