Avast + RANSOMWARE as a bonus!

/ Avast + RANSOMWARE as a bonus! #11  
Is there any way to scan a download before installing? How about if you have Deepfreeze or another similar program? I've been burned too.

/ Avast + RANSOMWARE as a bonus!
Did you run it in safe mode?...the program must also be able to update the library....>Safe Mode w/networking...

Yes, it has been run in safe mode - nothing.

ttriff: the YouTube video is apparently temporarily unavailable this morning. I'll try it again later. Thanks.

The problem seems to be that while there are some fixes for the earlier ransomware, this new version, CryptoWall 2.0, is the "new and improved" version.

/ Avast + RANSOMWARE as a bonus! #13  
If you cannot run your software cleanly from a secondary admin account without problems, do you have a complete backup of your hard drive prior to the ransomware incident to restore from? Some malware only hacks the current account and other accounts are not affected, but it sounds like that is not the case with this one. Complete restore may be your best and safest option. Reformat the hard drive and restore from the backup. Bleepingcomputer.com has not found a cure yet, only suggests reformat and restore at this time.

/ Avast + RANSOMWARE as a bonus! #14  
hijackthis
HijackThis Download
copy and paste log file to thread... ya normally find these logs all over the internet. ya need to know what to look for, i have not had to use this in some time "crosses fingers" to go search from things. everything comes back as default install plus a couple apps that i installed. but if you were / are that infected, it might be easier to backup and re install. pending on what version of microsoft windows you are using, example windows 8 or 8.1 you can reinstall without loosing anything, (need to re-install massive amount of updates, and reinstall apps, and move your personal files from a "windows old" folder to new install. but *shrugs* though the boot detection *arghs* maybe something more there.

spybot search and destroy (home user)
Spybot
the advance mode can give some info as well.

avg home/free edition
www.avg.com
or
Kaspersky Lab US | Antivirus & Internet Security Protection Software

not a fan of norton, mcfeee, avast, or microsfot essentials

make sure you get updated that antivirus software first, along with definition updates. before ya do any scanning. no point scanning, if ya using older version of software and older definitions of viruses.