Ham bones OK for dogs?

/ Ham bones OK for dogs? #1  

BobReeves

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 3000
We have never given our dog anything that we think might not be good for her but the wife bought ham that has a nice pretty large nuckle bone.. Would love to give it to the dog but not sure if ham bones are OK?

/ Ham bones OK for dogs? #2  
We give our dog our ham bone all the time. She is a normal sized yellow lab. She will chew on it until there is nothing left of it.

murph

/ Ham bones OK for dogs? #3  
Bone splinters can be fatal, (perforated intestines). Don't run the risk. Most dogs will never have a problem, but why run the risk?

Our dogs have nylabones, they last for years and they satisfy the chewing urge.

/ Ham bones OK for dogs? #4  
There is nothing wrong with giving the dog the bone to eat the meat off of it, but take it away after all the meat is gone. If the dog splinters and eats the bone, there is a possible chance that one of those splinters could perforate the bowel. The other problem is that bone is not digested and might just stay in the stomach and cause other problems such as throwing up. I know that some people do allow the dogs to eat the bone till there is nothing left, but I don't agree with it. You asked for opinions and I have given you mine. We are all responsible to our pets to make sure that they live happy and healthy lives and that included making sure that what we give them is safe for them. If you allow your dog to ingest the entire bone, then be forewarned what problems you might encounter.

/ Ham bones OK for dogs? #5  
I guess at this point I will not allow the dog to have the bone anymore once the meet is gone. Gee growing up on the farm the dog always got the bone and we never had trouble. But I guess if there is a chance I don't want to take it as it would destroy my daughter if anything happened to the dog.

murph

/ Ham bones OK for dogs? #6  
We use the nylabones "for agressive chewers"..........lasts 6 months or so....he seems to work on it day and night /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Ham bones OK for dogs?
Thanks for the info guys, we have given her Nylabones but she eats them, gone in a couple of days. Went ahead and gave her the ham bone after reading the first response.. It's gone already..

I know not to ever give a dog chicken bones or pork chop bones because they do splinter, but never had a vet tell me not to give a dog a good beef bone. Wasn't sure about the ham bone..

/ Ham bones OK for dogs? #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Thanks for the info guys, we have given her Nylabones but she eats them, gone in a couple of days.........
)</font>

Nylabone make a very wide assortment of bones. Get the dog a Nylabone Galileo and he/she will be working on it for many weeks or months. Nylabone is a brand name and they make products from soft (gumabone) to very hard.. such as the galileo.... Some come in strange shapes (owners humor), but once you get past the laughing stage, the dogs love them. One source for Nylabone on line... They can also be purchased at your local pet shop...

Attachments

• 362819-galileo.jpg
    362819-galileo.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 306
   / Ham bones OK for dogs? #9  
<font color="blue"> Went ahead and gave her the ham bone after reading the first response.. It's gone already.. </font>

Next time you have a nice ham bone with some meat on it....
give it to me! I'll make some bean soup!!! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Ham bones OK for dogs? #10  
Bones are fine as long as they're raw. Cooking makes them brittle and more likely to splinter.

Pete
(And Molson, Tetley, Harley, Tuppence, and Glenfiddich who all love bones)