Dog ate part of a razor blade

/ Dog ate part of a razor blade #1  

Mike_Kanzer

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3830 HST, JD Gator 855D
My 18 month old chesapeake got a hold of a single edge razor blade that my wife uses to scrape the glass top of the stove off with. She was cleaning up the kitchen and heard a crunching noise and found the dog chomping on the blade. A 1/2" by 1/2" piece of the blade was missing. The dog didn't have any blood or cuts in her mouth or gums. I rushed her to the vet ( last sunday) and sure enough an x-ray showed the blade fragment in the dogs stomach. She ended up with emergency surgery to remove it. The vet found it in there along with some pieces of leather from a shoe and a piece of wire. The dog's doing fine now recovering from the surgery, but my wallet has a 3500$ hole in it. I think one of this dog's parents must have been a goat. -Mike

/ Dog ate part of a razor blade #2  
We used to have a neighbor with a Lab that ate socks, cost that poor guy a fortune in surgery's. Finally they learned to put their socks away...

/ Dog ate part of a razor blade #3  
My son's lab ate a sock that had to be removed by surgery. Couple months later it ate used sweetcorn cobs that had been left out during a gathering. The vet thought that was an intestinal blockage by the x-rays, so they opened him up again. Once the vet could see better and feel, he decided the cobs would pass on their own. He felt bad about that so offered a free neuter job that was planned to happen soon while the dog was already sedated.

Razor blade seems odd, plus the wire. We've not had dogs eat anything like that. I don't know what you could do to change that behavior.

/ Dog ate part of a razor blade #4  
They always seem to do stupid stuff or get sick on the weekend... which really increases the impact on your wallet. I had my lab about 6 months when he chewed up a nylon strap... I found out at 11:30 that night when he started having difficulty breathing. Ever tried giving the Heimlich to a dog?
Something about retrievers in general... I've never been able to figure out how they can be so smart and so bleeping stupid at the same time!
I hope that she is recuperating well...

/ Dog ate part of a razor blade #5  
I am a member of this club also. Had retrievers for years all golden not show breed all AKC working dogs. Only had one issue over 20 years. One young golden pup ate a 1157 light bulb before I could grab it.
My daughter turns 10 and wants her own dog ( years ago ) . Good Golden stock is hard to find and requires travel. I ended up getting local AKC yellow lab. Around 1 1/2 years old dog ate one of my socks. Costs were over $ 3500. New rule in house No socks on floor. According to Vet labs are know for eating anything. I know dog ate a few of my daughters socks over the years but no more vet calls so far.
Lab is a good dog and has earned her food and care for life. My daughter loves her to death ( her first dog ). I find lab breed to be a disappointment compared to field trial golden stock. Dog was bought long before the Marley and Me movie came out.

/ Dog ate part of a razor blade #6  
We rescued a Bichon Frise a few months ago and seems like a real nice dog....except....it likes to eat stuff. It will recycle what it just sent out it's rear end. We are trying to break that nasty habit. At least she won't be having to get emergency surgery by eating that stuff.

/ Dog ate part of a razor blade #7  
I've got to remember not to get another dog.

/ Dog ate part of a razor blade #8  
My gravel driveway is littered with dime sized pieces of beer cans our giant malamute shreds. We rescued him and the shelter won't tell us any of the previous history. The facts are: #1 He won't stop shredding, despite hundreds of times taking the cans away from him. He just goes and finds another one and resumes ripping and tearing. #2 I am not going to stop drinking beer! #3 He weighs around 165 lbs. #4 Fortunately he doesn't bother full beer cans. #5 He only does beer cans, no soda cans. (Must have something against high fructose corn syrup!) Almost hate to say this, but no vet bills, yet. #6 He is a killing machine, and a very stealth hunter. He takes out anything that comes into the fenced yard. Chickens, apossums, cats, raccoons, squirrels, birds, and skunks. The encyclopedia states that the only animal that eats skunks, is an owl. Owls have no sense of smell. Buba must be part owl, because, yes, he eats skunks. He has a keen sense of smell, don't know how he does it, but 2 out of 3 times we smell a skunk, the next morning we'll find skunk remains. He is due for his rabies shot. One unique animal. :thumbsup: 445A

/ Dog ate part of a razor blade #9  
Well, that's interesting......

/ Dog ate part of a razor blade #10  
Of my seven dogs, one likes to destroy cell phones, one absolutely loves eye-glasses and another is on the hunt for ink pens. Love them all, so just try to keep temptation out of reach :)