Hit by a car crossing the street in a crosswalk...

/ Hit by a car crossing the street in a crosswalk... #1  

ultrarunner

Epic Contributor
SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
Tractor
Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 and RTV900 with restored 1948 Deere M, 1949 Farmall Cub, 1953 Ford Jubliee and 1957 Ford 740 Row Crop, Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer 50 assorted vehicles from 1905 to 2006
At work today and took a break for lunch and decided to grab a burger across the street

I was about a third of the way across when a car from a side street making a left turn plowed into me...

Pavement was wet so my feet slid about 8 feet passed the crosswalk with my upper body sprawled across the hood.

All I can say is thank goodness the driver stopped because I was doing the dog paddle with my hands trying to get a grip on the wet hood of the car.

The road is 2 lanes each direction plus a turn lane... he said he didn't see me because I was in the blind spot of his windshield post when he pulled out and then he looked right for oncoming traffic.

Nothing broken... just sore and some goose egg bruises on my legs from bumper contact and I can feel the arch in my left foot and my left knee.

Strange feeling knowing there is no where to go... all I could think of was not going under the car.

I guess I can add being hit by a car to my life experience...

/ Hit by a car crossing the street in a crosswalk... #2  
Good to hear you fared fairly well. Gonna' be sore tomorrow for sure.

/ Hit by a car crossing the street in a crosswalk... #3  
Ouch. I have a couple of friends who were hit in a crosswalk a few weeks back. One has a sprained wrist, the other has a broken leg. Both were VERY lucky to not be injured worse.
I hope you got his insurance info in case something shows up in a few days.

Aaron Z

/ Hit by a car crossing the street in a crosswalk... #4  
Close call! Have to keep an eye on traffic in those situations unfortunately. I know we shouldn't have to but ...

Did you eventually get your burger, or had the brush with death ruined your appetite? :)

/ Hit by a car crossing the street in a crosswalk...
Feel very lucky... especially since he stopped accelerating.

I had visions of being run over in that instance and it all happened so fast.

The last thing I would have thought about getting out of bed this morning was getting hit in a crosswalk...

Been crossing at the same crosswalk since 1995...

We exchanged information... not planing on going any further.

The street is a busy street... 4 lanes and all... I just wait until traffic is clear in both directions and this is exactly what the driver did coming out of the side street making a left hand turn.

I saw him pull across and it looked like he was turning into the shoulder land and then he headed right for me with me about a third of the way across.

At 6' 4" and 250 lbs it is not like I can sneak up on someone... Everything was wet as the rain shower had just let up...

Surprised that my hand was trembling when I was writing down my information.

I did eventually end up across the street more so to decompress.

When I got back to work... one of the Docs was having Saturday hours and asked if I wanted to be seen... I declined.

On a side note... I have to be very careful when driving some cars because the rear view mirror is the perfect height to obscure part of my field of vision.

/ Hit by a car crossing the street in a crosswalk... #7  
Been crossing at the same crosswalk since 1995...

Well you should be good for another 20 years now :) Glad you're reasonably okay.

Thanks... the way things are going at work... I might not be crossing that street much longer... the Hospital has been for sale for 4 years and this is a long time to put life on hold and as staff leave, those that stay have to pick up the slack.

Another topic for another thread...

/ Hit by a car crossing the street in a crosswalk... #9  
Good to hear you're well and nothing broken.

/ Hit by a car crossing the street in a crosswalk... #10  
Glad that you walked away. Pedestrian crosswalks are WAY too easy to overlook... unlike road intersections which are marked with signs or lights.