Athol Machine Company 5" vise, one rugged bugger

/ Athol Machine Company 5" vise, one rugged bugger #1  

Happy Gilmore

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 5610 Ford 4630 Ford 3930 MFWD w/ 7310 loader Ford 3930 Kubota BX1500 Kubota RTV 900XT Kubota F2680E 72"RD Ford 4610 Kubota KX121-3
I took the girlfriend to a local animal/related items auction this evening, she actually wanted to go. I found my diamond in the rough sitting on the floor next to a bunch of junk. It was an Athol Machine Co. 683 5" vise. I tried not to act to excited about it, but carefully checked it over, straight jaws, locks up tight, no cracks or repairs and built like a tank. I picked it up for $35.00 + 10% buyers premium. Got it home and weighed it at 75lbs. Made in the good ole' USA, not too far away in Athol, Mass. Patent date of 1912 on it.

image-2439112001.jpg

image-1307928389.jpg

image-1005098721.jpg

/ Athol Machine Company 5" vise, one rugged bugger #2  
I love old tools etc. They just don't wear out. I've got a pile of items my wife's grandfather owned, (He was a general contractor) and turn to them quite often. Working out in the back 40 where there's no electricity? No problem. There's a hand tool for that!

/ Athol Machine Company 5" vise, one rugged bugger #3  
That's a nice vice- rugged!
I used to work in Templeton at the colony. On the way home one day I stopped at the local scrap yard looking for steel. On the ground I found a buttress thread screw (with handle) for a leg vice- big thing. I figured it was a reject from Starrett Tool nearbye in Athol. So I cut a couple inches off the screw and sent it to Starrett asking if the had a nut that would fit. They sent me a nut for free and I have been using it the last 30 years.
Good things come out of Athol!

/ Athol Machine Company 5" vise, one rugged bugger
That's a nice vice- rugged! I used to work in Templeton at the colony. On the way home one day I stopped at the local scrap yard looking for steel. On the ground I found a buttress thread screw (with handle) for a leg vice- big thing. I figured it was a reject from Starrett Tool nearbye in Athol. So I cut a couple inches off the screw and sent it to Starrett asking if the had a nut that would fit. They sent me a nut for free and I have been using it the last 30 years. Good things come out of Athol!

Very cool. Nothing like made in Mass and old. My girlfriend says I'm acting like a kid at Christmas about the vise, hey what can I say.

/ Athol Machine Company 5" vise, one rugged bugger #5  
That's a solid piece of hardware - built to work hard for another 100 years, at least.
$35 is an absolute steal - congratulations!

/ Athol Machine Company 5" vise, one rugged bugger #6  
You made a real good purchase. I have seen those type vices sell for $200 +. Ken Sweet

/ Athol Machine Company 5" vise, one rugged bugger #7  
Great find! Congrats!

/ Athol Machine Company 5" vise, one rugged bugger #8  
Wow! Did that thing bring back some memories. My Grand dad had one like that in his garage. I used to play with it, raising and dropping the handle. One day I didn't get my fingers back in time and the knob on the end of the handle caught my thumb and index finger as it hit bottom. I had two of the biggest blood blisters you have ever seen! I have NEVER forgotten that experience.

/ Athol Machine Company 5" vise, one rugged bugger
Wow! Did that thing bring back some memories. My Grand dad had one like that in his garage. I used to play with it, raising and dropping the handle. One day I didn't get my fingers back in time and the knob on the end of the handle caught my thumb and index finger as it hit bottom. I had two of the biggest blood blisters you have ever seen! I have NEVER forgotten that experience.

I thought I was the only one that got blood blisters from playing with my Grandpa's vise as a kid.