LOWER BACK PAIN - Bilateral medial branch radio frequency ablation/neurotomy

/ LOWER BACK PAIN - Bilateral medial branch radio frequency ablation/neurotomy #1  

Silvic

Gold Member
Tractor
Yes: Bilateral medial branch radio frequency ablation/neurotomy is a mouthful.

My wife has had lower back pain that radiates out into the upper hip/pelvis area. After many different treatments or attempted treatments by the docs they did a diagnostic bilateral medial branch block where they anesthetize the subject nerves to determine if the pain goes away. If successful then the individual is a candidate for the procedure listed in the title, Bilateral medial branch radiofrequensy ablation/neurotomy.

The medical professionals insist there are no real side-effects from the procedure other than the successful removal of pain for what maybe permanent, but is more likely measured in years because the nerves in that area can and do regenerate.

I have done on-line searches and have found no real bad side-effects from the lumbar region ablation; but have from the cervical area for folks that had the procedure in the upper back/neck area.

QUESTION for the TBN memebers.

Have any of you or have any close friends/family had the procedure in the lower lumbar, upper sacrum region of the back and what were the effects, both good and bad if bad side-effects occurred?

Thanks

/ LOWER BACK PAIN - Bilateral medial branch radio frequency ablation/neurotomy #2  
I have had it done. It helped I did get about 80% reduction of pain for about 3 months and slowly kept stopped working. It felt getting the epidural steroid injection. They use radio waves to burn off the tip of the nerves.