Father In Law enjoying retirement

/ Father In Law enjoying retirement #1  

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
Taking the boys to visit their grandparents later today so they can spend the night. FIL spent 65 years in Vermont and he and his wife decided to be nearer to their daughters, they'd move to NC for retirement.

Read this today

More than 13K still without power in Vermont - Yahoo News

My FIL was one of those guys who for 30 years had to hike with equipment to where the trucks couldn't take him (he worked for Washington Electric).

He's now enjoying winter in NC LOL

/ Father In Law enjoying retirement #2  
Today was the first regular snow we've had this winter, about 5" of of normal snow. The rest have been a combination of snow-sleet-rain, or super-saturated snow. Heavy stuff on limbs and lines.

Glad your FIL is enjoying retirement with the grandkids.

/ Father In Law enjoying retirement #4  
Retirement sucks, insurance goes up, taxes go up, food prices go up, utilities go up, fixed retirement income stays the same! And people want to know why I'm canceling their services, ie, subscriber TV, etc.

mark

/ Father In Law enjoying retirement #5  
Retirement sucks, insurance goes up, taxes go up, food prices go up, utilities go up, fixed retirement income stays the same! And people want to know why I'm canceling their services, ie, subscriber TV, etc.

mark

It is too bad you think that way.

Retirement should be thought about BEFORE your first job. A true "fixed" income retirement, not indexed to cost of living should have been supplemented over the entire career. My retirement has gone up about 6% in the last 3 years.

Retirement is wonderful, taxes go down (taxed on less income), time to do things is infinite (no cramming projects in on a weekend), travel is greatly eased (can put the trip off a couple of days due to weather, no need to be "back for work"), shopping is eased (crowded? go later). I only have 2 bosses in my chain of command - SWMBO and myself. I can decide how long and what projects I want to work on.

My main "problem" is focusing on fewer projects. I've been able to "get into" woodworking, lumbering, welding, and beekeeping.

Sure I'm getting older, reading glasses have gotten stronger, max lift has decreased, but that was happening 10 years before I retired.

/ Father In Law enjoying retirement #6  
My dad retired 10 at years ago at 59 from Niagara Mohawk right after National Greed took over. Worked 39 years there. He was lucky and retired on the old contract. Guys who did not go are still working and will get less when they go. He too climbed the poles, strung the wire and set the poles. He worked hard and more overtime than some people work regular time. He retired a millionaire and has been drawing off his various pensions. The last 4 years he has added more than he spent. He planned well and has a good life working on the farm and spending time with his grandkids. He planned well and was frugal, but generous.

/ Father In Law enjoying retirement

mark

My own father is 83. Retired out of the military around age 43. Worked one more "full time" job until about 60, then went and worked for the state until he hit 70 and retired. Everything he owns he owns outright (other than his new car, which I told him he might as well get a great rate and pay on it because he might die before the payments are up LOL), the only thing he pays is taxes and the services for his house. He gets excited now when he breaks 90 instead of 80 on the golf course now due to his age, and although his bowling average has come down to about 165, he still enjoys it. He also works part time at a fly fishing shop for "free" so he can go out on annual trips to Montana and Alaska.

When mom passed away 12 years ago today, me and the family never thought my dad would make it another year without my mom around. My father's proven us wrong.

Kicker is he's LOVING retirment. He does what he pleases when and where.

Funny thing, my father in law spent over 30 years with the electric company before getting out of the Navy. They finally sold their house in Vermont and have a nice house now in NC and made some money in the deal to boot. My MIL also retired from the post office after 20 years (she started working when her daughters were going to high school). They BOTH are loving retirement.

/ Father In Law enjoying retirement #9  
Even though retirement sucks, I too retired from the Navy after 21 years of service as a Chief Petty Officer. COLA increases every year except for one. I miss the Navy, had a secret clearance and saw what many can only dream about, RDT& E for new SEAL equipment! Unreal what these guys have and this was 30 years ago! My inlaws live about 9000 miles away in the Philippines, so visits are few and far between. Local County governments offer personal property discounts for disabled verterns but try to get one? It's always some one elses job to process that request. Car tax was done away with a few years ago by the governor... but returned worst than ever now. I think every state is broke and I know the federal government is broke. Yes, its great to sleep in, no more mid-watches, travel when you want and stay in 3 star quarters at a MCB or Navy base in 3 room suits for $42.00 per night

/ Father In Law enjoying retirement #10  
... Retirement should be thought about BEFORE your first job. ...
If only my parents had told me that, or I had had enough sense to figure it out for myself. Sigh.