question for the network gurus

/ question for the network gurus
Update.

Out of ideas. My bet is a 50$ tablet just ain't gonna work on my home WiFi.

No biggie I guess. :)

/ question for the network gurus #72  
Update.

Out of ideas. My bet is a 50$ tablet just ain't gonna work on my home WiFi.

No biggie I guess. :)

Just an off the wall suggestion...you might try adding a second (via patch cable) cheapo/used wireless router and set it up as an access point ? you can find the hardware on e-bay for less than $20...

.... if I can figure that out. :)

/ question for the network gurus #74  
Soundguy, do you have cable TV from one end of the house to the other? If so, you could use one of these: Amazon.com: Actiontec Ethernet over Coax Adapter Kit for Homes without MoCA Routers: Computers & Accessories (using your existing repeater) or Amazon.com: Actiontec Dual-Band Wireless Network Extender and Ethernet Over Coax Adapter Kit (WCB3000NK01): Electronics (replacing your repeater) to run a wired network from one end to the other.
Alternatively, turn off the wifi on the modem and install one of these pointing toward the other end of the house: Amazon.com: Ubiquiti NanoStation loco M2 2.4GHz Indoor/Outdoor airMax 8dBi CPE: Computers & Accessories

Aaron Z

we have dish, so there are dish recievers in a couple different rooms, so guessing that won't work.

Update. Stopped by the house on the way to a job, put the tablet in the house to charge, turned it on later to check charge, it connected to my WiFi. In fact I'm in the garage now, typing on the tablet.

Just out of the blue it works now... wtf!.?

:)

/ question for the network gurus #77  
I'd buy some lottery tickets today if I were you! :laughing:

/ question for the network gurus #78  
.... if I can figure that out. :)

it is pretty easy actually. Plug an ethernet cable from you PC to another switch port on your cheap router. (NOT the WAN port, just one of its switch ports) Set its IP address in the same subnet as your network, but on a non conflicting IP address. I usually set these type of appliances at the top end of a /24 subnet, as for instance like 192.168.0.250 Not at the exact top, but near the top. and I usually have my network router for instance on the first usable address like 192.168.0.1 But anyway I digress.... put the router you intend to be an access point on your network on a non conflicting address. Now turn off the DHCP server in this router so it does not try to hand out any IP address's to anything that connects with it. Unhook your pc and then Hook up that ethernet cable to a switch port on your regular network (spare router Ethernet port or other switch port). Remember to leave the other end of the ethernet cable in a switch port on your junk router/now access point.

You should be good to go by placing this old router/access point where you need it, and its hardwired back to you wired network. It won't hand out addresses by itself, but it will hand out IP addresses from your main router with the main router as the default gateway. Its all good. :) You now have an access point for small dollars (if any), and about 3 minutes work with your pc in setting it up.

i do have an old router laying around if needed, but now my problem seems solved. weird.

i wonder if the tablet has gotten an os update since then and it fixed something. I'm not at all familiar with android..