question for the network gurus

/ question for the network gurus #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
At work they gave us these oil android tablets to do some things at the office and abroad. I was out at a clients site all day and sponged off their fast WiFi to get my tablet setup like I wanted. Now home and something odd. At my house the DSL modem and router combo is in one of the house, consequently half the house gets poor WiFi. To fix this, I got an amped wireless WiFi extender months ago. It basically sets up another WiFi network, and reads the original network I guess. Is the extender is logged into the main router WiFi, and then the rest of the house that can't see the router can see the extender. This works great for our phones, wife's pcand our 2 win tablets. I brought this android tablet home ( next book 8, jellybean), and it sees both networks, connects to either with password, however will not send receive data over the extenders network!!' If I walk halfway across the house I hit the real router and can connect to it and get connection. My surface and the wife's Nokia tablets running win see the extended WiFi no prob. Any ideas? Makes my work tablet near useless for me to bring work home if it can't work in half the house! Wtf!

/ question for the network gurus #2  
Have you tried making it only use the "good" wifi and not let it roam between the two wifi devices?

/ question for the network gurus #3  
Hope you get some answers. I'm going to bed now. :zzz:

/ question for the network gurus
Have you tried making it only use the "good" wifi and not let it roam between the two wifi devices?

Uh, sure, if I forget the other extender, and only let it connect to the router, it works, the issue with that is I only have coverage in about half the house. My office is in the opposite end of the house as the entrance for the router, so where I set to do work, I have no connection :(

/ question for the network gurus #5  
What I meant was, have you told it to only use the extender, and see if it functions well on only the extender in that area of the house, to eliminate the possibility that it is not compatible with the extender. I was kind of sleepy. :laughing:

/ question for the network gurus #6  
Maybe the extender is blocking it? It might see it as a device that is not properly identified. Admin page for extender?

I had a Wifi Router do this on an Android device once, never did figure out why it did that. Just had to "enable" the device on the router.

/ question for the network gurus #7  
Confirm that your IP address when connected to the extender is that of your local network and not timing out when trying to get an address.

Typically your home network address will start with 192.168.xxx.xxx where a timed out address will start with 169..254.xxx.xxx (also known as APIPA address). If you see 169, try either renewing your IP or performing a "repair" on the wireless card.

-J

What I meant was, have you told it to only use the extender, and see if it functions well on only the extender in that area of the house, to eliminate the possibility that it is not compatible with the extender. I was kind of sleepy. :laughing:

there is no connectivity to the tablet thru the extender. ie. if i connect it to the extender, i have -0- access, even though it is connected to the extender

Confirm that your IP address when connected to the extender is that of your local network and not timing out when trying to get an address.

Typically your home network address will start with 192.168.xxx.xxx where a timed out address will start with 169..254.xxx.xxx (also known as APIPA address). If you see 169, try either renewing your IP or performing a "repair" on the wireless card.

-J

um.. ok. i'll see if i can figure that out how to do it.

25ys ago i was geat on computers. now.. ;)

Maybe the extender is blocking it? It might see it as a device that is not properly identified. Admin page for extender?

I had a Wifi Router do this on an Android device once, never did figure out why it did that. Just had to "enable" the device on the router.

like i said tot he other guy, i'll see if i know how.

I did have to originally setup the router using our surface tablet, did have to conenct to it, log in to the router page and do something and then change the default password.. then i spi out some password that was umpteen dozen characters long. :)