Credit card has my last name spelled wrong..

/ Credit card has my last name spelled wrong.. #1  

JDgreen227

Tractor
4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318
About two weeks ago my girlfriend and I joined the local Sams's Club, and because I didn't have a Mastercard I also applied for one of theirs...my new card was delivered in the mail today, and for some inane reason reason they left the "s" off my 5-letter long last name...My temporary membership/credit card they issued when I joined has my name spelled correctly so I am at a loss to understand why the permanent card has the error. Called them and they told me I could expect a corrected replacement in 8 to 10 business days.

I wasn't going to bother with making the correction but a Google search turned up numerous stories where people claimed their credit reports had gotten badly fouled up because of a simple name spelling mistake on a credit card. Has anyone here experienced that situation? Thanks for the input.

/ Credit card has my last name spelled wrong.. #2  
That happened to us a few years back. Wife called and they fixed it and sent a new card. It was that simple and that was the end of it. You need to fix this.

/ Credit card has my last name spelled wrong.. #3  
Get it fixed pronto. Otherwise you'll have constant problems with them identifying you correctly, and you run the risk of someone else with that misspelled name using your account.

/ Credit card has my last name spelled wrong.. #4  
Never had had my last name wrong on a card but there is always reason to have concern when your name is not correct on any document, of which a credit card is just another form of document.
Even if there is no chance that it fouls up your credit rating it could be challenged by a merchant who asks for an ID check when you use your card.
You state that Sam's club temp membership card is correct but it is the temp not the permanent. If the computer entry at Sam's for the permanent card is wrong then that would be another area of concern. I do not know how Sam's is setup but suspect they do not issue the Mastercard but have a partner bank that does; so the error could be in the data transfer to the supporting bank. That bank then reports on your credit history on your SSAN but with an incorrect name so it could go south.
Why take the chance.
You did the right thing and caught it early.
Give it 2-3 months and do a free credit check on yourself.
You are authorized a free credit check once a year at each of the three credit agencies. I do them at 4 month intervals, one each time thus actually covering a more frequent update. Not all things are the same at each agency even thought they should be. If married do your spouse's on the same cycle but not the same agency as your credit histories are intertwined and thus get double coverage.

/ Credit card has my last name spelled wrong..
Thank you to all for the confirmation feedback...and Silvic, you are correct that Sam's has a partner bank that issues the Mastercard, which is why I contacted that bank and not Sams.

/ Credit card has my last name spelled wrong.. #6  
8-10 business days?!:confused2: They should be sending you a correct card overnight at their expense.

/ Credit card has my last name spelled wrong.. #7  
8-10 business days?!:confused2: They should be sending you a correct card overnight at their expense.

He has a temporary card, with his name spelled correctly, so there's no need to send it overnight.

/ Credit card has my last name spelled wrong.. #8  
It didn't hurt me when this happened, but it sure is frustrating.

It shows up on your credit histories with the big three, AND when I got my Utah CCW they asked why I hadn't listed my "AKA". They believed me when I said that name doesn't exist and was a typo, never a name I used, but what a stupid hassle.

/ Credit card has my last name spelled wrong.. #9  
..My temporary membership/credit card they issued when I joined has my name spelled correctly so I am at a loss to understand why the permanent card has the error. Called them and they told me I could expect a corrected replacement in 8 to 10 business days.

One of my favorite episodes of Married With Children was when Buck the dog was issued a credit card. I'm sure the right con man could
still swing that today. Geez, Super member "six dogs" could get 6 cards.

Coffeeman

/ Credit card has my last name spelled wrong.. #10  
One of my favorite episodes of Married With Children was when Buck the dog was issued a credit card. I'm sure the right con man could
still swing that today. Geez, Super member "six dogs" could get 6 cards.

Coffeeman

Hmmm...that might work since they all have human sounding names. As well, each one could enter the four millionth TBN post contest. With that many chances, I'd be a cinch to be sporting that new TBN jacket around town.