2004 Chevy Truck Starter Not Starting (sometimes)

/ 2004 Chevy Truck Starter Not Starting (sometimes) #1  

xzcVAbc5

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25D
I have a wierd problem with my starter on a 2004 Chevy 1/2 ton 5.3L which has happened before.

(Last winter sometime)
I was parked at my parents' house and went to start and leave. I tried to start several times, but all it would do is blank the lights until I let off the key. I thought maybe my battery was weak so I let it charge. I think it charged for over an hour, but did not start. Since I wasn't going anywhere and needed the truck out of the way my Dad used his truck to pull my truck backwards away from the garage. I tried to start again and this time it worked.

Fast forward to last night...
Same problem and tried several times to start the truck. I rocked the truck and got it to move back about 6". Then I tried to start and it fired right up. This morning I went to start the truck again and got the same thing. I wasn't able to rock it to move it. I might hook a chain on it with the other end on the Kubota to see if moving it backwards causes it to start.

The only link between the two scenarios is that it was cold out and after moving the truck the starter would start the vehicle. I never had this problem when it was warm out. Nor did I have the problem until the first time it happened last winter.

Anyone have an idea on why moving a truck just a little bit would cause the starter to suddenly work?

/ 2004 Chevy Truck Starter Not Starting (sometimes) #3  
Of course grasping at straws but to move it I assume you are turning the key to release shift interlock in order to put it in neutral correct? Then you move it and put it back into park and now it starts?

I'd be looking at the ignition switch or shift interlock next. IF it isn't starting before you take the trouble of moving it try jiggling or pushing the shift lever more firmly into park and see if it suddenly starts.

/ 2004 Chevy Truck Starter Not Starting (sometimes) #4  
Of course grasping at straws but to move it I assume you are turning the key to release shift interlock in order to put it in neutral correct? Then you move it and put it back into park and now it starts?

I'd be looking at the ignition switch or shift interlock next. IF it isn't starting before you take the trouble of moving it try jiggling or pushing the shift lever more firmly into park and see if it suddenly starts.

Exactly what I was thinking. Something up with the shifter or sensor thinking it aint in park.

/ 2004 Chevy Truck Starter Not Starting (sometimes)
Update:

I forgot to mention that I couldn't start it in PARK or NEUTRAL before I moved the truck backwards. After the truck was moved I was able to start in neutral.

After work I tried the truck again and it started in Park without moving the truck.

/ 2004 Chevy Truck Starter Not Starting (sometimes) #6  
When you move it, you don't rotate the engine or flywheel, but you do put it in neutral, which requires turning the key and moving the shifter. Then it works. So, its most likely something in the switch or shifter, that being the lockout that prevents starting unless in park or neutral, I'd think. That, or the switch on the brake pedal that prevents the car from starting unless the brake is depressed. I had that switch go out on my 1993 Suburban. Check that first. It could be intermittent.

I think you can test it with a meter and jumper it to remove it from the equation.

/ 2004 Chevy Truck Starter Not Starting (sometimes) #7  
You will look a long time to find this and probably not find anything definitive by looking, testing parts. My suggestion, replace the starter. Chevies have weak starters. During the movement of the truck it can jiggle the starter and it may start to work.

/ 2004 Chevy Truck Starter Not Starting (sometimes) #8  
Yes, I have also had a starter on my Suburban that would do nothing. You'd whack it with a hammer while someone else turned the key and it would kick in. However, I don't see how rolling it in neutral would jar it enough to make it work, but stranger things have happened for sure. Chevy.... like a rock! :laughing:

/ 2004 Chevy Truck Starter Not Starting (sometimes) #9  
The majority of starter problems end up being contacts.
Either the battery terminals or the grounds.
You want shiny metal to metal TIGHT contact.
A wire brush to ream the posts and sand paper (shiny metal) for the grounds.

The next culprit is the ignition switch itself. Generally they have a dielectric grease inside to lube the contacts. That grease (in the cold) gets stiff or dry and prevents contact.
Squirting a bit of WD40 into the key slot is a great cure.

Naturally a good battery is assumed as well as a good starter. Either way the above measures proves out the system integrity and possibly saves you a starter and or battery.
(have known folks to replace both items only to find that the earlier simple tricks would have cured hard or no starts. Plus store will not allow returns on electrical stuff)

Might add that a squirt or 2 of WD40 on the bendix sometimes frees up the bendix.

/ 2004 Chevy Truck Starter Not Starting (sometimes) #10  
So in my experience those trucks, especially in corrosion belt areas, have battery cable issue and like said above connection issues.