Radio Shack Bankruptcy 2015

/ Radio Shack Bankruptcy 2015 #1  

DFB

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 4100 HST /410 FEL, R4s
Guess it was inevitable hey :rolleyes:

Radio Shack files for bankruptcy, may sell off 2500 stores throughout North America

You know its such a shame but a sign of times

I tried to get a solderable fuse recently to fix the circuit board in a 6 outlet power strip we fried at work...none in the store of course. Catalog had it .99 cents $6.00 to ship. I just bought a new one instead for $10 (and not from them either)

Needed new plug in leads leads for a multimeter too the girl at the counter didn't even know what they were or where in the store they be...since this store had been in town since the probably the late 70's I just walked over to a far aisle where I knew they once where...yup they were still there :D

/ Radio Shack Bankruptcy 2015 #2  
I was there tonight, stores local to me are having store closing sales. I picked up a 13.8v 3 amp power supply for $30.00, ok deal, not great at 40% off reg. price.

/ Radio Shack Bankruptcy 2015 #3  
since this store had been in town since the probably the late 70's I just walked over to a far aisle where I knew they once where...yup they were still there :D

Probably the same ones that were there in the 70's...

A friend works at one of the local stores. Honestly, it's shocking they lasted this long.

/ Radio Shack Bankruptcy 2015 #5  
How many people do you know that were born in the last 30 years even call any appliance a "radio". Went in to one a couple weeks ago looking for some type of connector or something (can't even remember what it was now) and they didn't have it. Clerk didn't even know what it was. I had to explain it to him. The store was pretty bare. Mostly cell phones, cell phone accessories, batteries, a few cables for connecting audio/video devices and some small electronic games. Just a small section of connectors, ends, etc.... But let's face it, there isn't much electronic equipment that can be repaired by the hobbiest anymore as everything is disposable. My degree in TV and radio repair is pretty much useless these days. :laughing:

/ Radio Shack Bankruptcy 2015 #6  
I needed common size 1 watt resistors for a tube amp project I was trying to finish. I had to get them online. That was actually a cool store when I was a kid.

/ Radio Shack Bankruptcy 2015 #7  
It is sad to see another relatively common household brand name going away. It used to be you could go there for 7400 series ICs, DIP switches and pretty much whatever you needed for little projects, but as noted is primarily a cell phone store now.
Anyone remember when they used to be Allied Radio?

/ Radio Shack Bankruptcy 2015 #8  
Probably the same ones that were there in the 70's...

A friend works at one of the local stores. Honestly, it's shocking they lasted this long.

Yeah, ours closed about a year ago- felt sorry for the salesperson ( he had a good knowledge of electronics and inventory.)
i am guilty in the respect that since they don't stock electronics parts like the old days i have been getting my stuff from digi-key for a while...

/ Radio Shack Bankruptcy 2015 #9  
Most of the RS stores in my area have just become cell phone shops, but there is one that still stocks a lot of parts -- though they are in drawers and don't take up much space at all, compared to the old wall displays that used to take up 1/2 the store. Been buying parts at RS since the late 70s, so it will be sad if they go away permanently. I remember buying tons of parts and components there in the 80s to build home speakers, and had a blast doing that for many years (part woodworking, part electronics, and they looked and sounded better than anything in the stores).

A good replacement source for parts may be MCM -- MCM Electronics: Home and Pro Audio/Video, Security and Test Equipment -- I bought some stuff from them by catalog over the years, and generally have been pleased.

/ Radio Shack Bankruptcy 2015 #10  
IMO, they started the downhill slide when they started asking for phone numbers.