Alco Bankrupt - Clearing Stores including fixtures!

/ Alco Bankrupt - Clearing Stores including fixtures! #11  
I thought you said Sears...

The Sears store here is liquidating the inventory. There is only one Sears Automotive left here in the Kansas City area. Not many stores either.

/ Alco Bankrupt - Clearing Stores including fixtures! #12  
We had a huge 3 story Sears in downtown South Bend, In, when I was a kid. They closed it and moved to a mall in the early 70's I think. Its a two story mall anchor store. I only go there for tools a couple times a year, maybe. There's also a Sears Hometown store that opened on our south side a few years ago. Kind of worthless. More like a catalog showroom. Just household stuff. I've been in there a couple times, but they didn't have what I wanted and I had to pick it up at the mall. What chaps me most is if you order something that they don't have in stock, they'll charge you to ship it to the store! :mad: Good grief.

Add to that the whole K-Mart fiasco.... we used to have three K-marts. There's one now. And going there is like walking onto the set of Night of the Living Dead! .... a bunch of zombies dragging themselves around the place.

I miss K-Mart in its heyday. The blue light special. The deli sub sandwiches. Lawn and garden dept. Sporting goods..... wish they could have stayed viable.

/ Alco Bankrupt - Clearing Stores including fixtures! #13  
The stores around me were mostly deserted every time I went into one of them even before they announced closing.

I hate to see alco go out of business because I preferred shopping in their smaller stores compared to walmart.

My dad got some 12 packs of pepsi and coke from our local Alco for 90 cents each. He really stocked up and we currently have no shortage of Soda.

I don't drink much soda so I didn't really buy that much myself. But did buy some.

/ Alco Bankrupt - Clearing Stores including fixtures! #14  
Until I moved to southern Maine I had never seen a surplus salvage type store (where I grew up just didn't have 'em).

At the time I discovered that chain of stores I thought a lot of the deals were awesome. Thinking back there were like 4 different outlets were an easy drive for me and inventory varied between different stores. In those stores I got 2 different brand new 1/2 chucked Makita corded drills for less than half price each, a propane fired ready heater, brand name sneakers for what seemed like pennies and work boots including the John Deere name. Oil based stain what bargains they had. They had clothes, they had carpets, floor tiles, you name it. Geeze I miss a store like that! :laughing:

/ Alco Bankrupt - Clearing Stores including fixtures!
I went to Alco yesterday to see if this was the last week they are open since I received a voicemail telling me that I could pick up my pallet jack on Friday. I ended up getting a pretty good deal on contact solution. Browsing the store there were a few things that I've never seen on the shelf before. I'm wondering if since they've been closing stores they've been clearing out the last bit from one store and moving it to another store that hasn't closed yet.

To tell you the truth I don't really care that Alco is closed in my town other than the workers that have to find another job. Rarely could I find anything there that was worth buying either because they didn't have it or the price was so high that I decided to wait until I was driving by another store (most likely a Walmart) or just added it to an order from Amazon or Ebay. In fact, I buy a lot more stuff at the Dollar General that is right next door.

/ Alco Bankrupt - Clearing Stores including fixtures!
In an great turn of events it was announced that Orsheln Farm and Home is going to take over the Alco building.:cool2: I've been wanting a farm and home store for quite a while.