Parking lot damage

/ Parking lot damage #1  

riptides

Tractor
Kubota ZTR, RTV, MX6000
Was out late last night, super windy.

Car took a major assault from a shopping cart in a big box store lot. And I mean major. Easy thousand worth of damage. I don't know if the cart was free in the lot, or came out of the lot holder itself.

I'd like to hold the big box store negligent in this instance. Why? Upon inspection of the lot holder for carts, I noticed no strip on the asphalt to hold them in place. Other carts were uncollected.

I know act of nature and all that, but I tell you, if you see my car, it was assaulted I tell you.

I don't do trivial law suits, but in this instance, I feel I am right. The store manager did not offer information or condolences.

Your thoughts?

/ Parking lot damage #2  
That is why I keep telling the wife and kids to park uphill , well away from the front doors and main driveways .
Sorry but unless there is a parking lot video . You are out of pocket for the repairs. Or do you have comprehensive insurance on the vehicle and how high is the deduction?

/ Parking lot damage #3  
I think you are out of luck and you or your insurance will have to pay. A video might help but if the video shows another person not putting the cart in the cart corral...

I have never seen a strip of asphalt to hold the carts in place. Good idea but I have not seen it.

I do try to park away from the car corral and away from other vehicles and I check the ground for stuff that will pop a tire. I have found more than one nail in the parking lot. :shocked:

Good Luck,
Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
   / Parking lot damage #4  
That's what your insurance is for. Buck up and take it. We are in a world today where everyone wants to blame and sue someone else. It just happened, no one's fault.
It's not the store manager's fault either. Just live w/ it.

/ Parking lot damage #5  
Remember the OP lives in an area with the highest ratio of lawyers per capita. Around here suing is what keeps people employed.

/ Parking lot damage #7  
This is why the coin release shopping cart system is good. You have to put money in to release an empty cart from the string, and you get it back when you return it. It's an unattended system that works well. In Germany they used a one Deutsche Mark coin, that was before the Euro conversion.

/ Parking lot damage #8  
It was windy last night here in Maryland also . You could push the issue , but I think you are going to be out of luck .

/ Parking lot damage #9  
You advised the manager, now go up the chain to management/owner. They may help, as they don't like hearing good customers complaining or not doing business with them.good luck

/ Parking lot damage #10  
Aint 'gonna happen . You really have no proof how, why, or who is responsible . Now ya might be able to sue and get the store to pay to avoid the hassle..... that is if you can get a lawyer to take the case . Small claims court may be real ify on this one .