Movie adaptations

/ Movie adaptations #1  

DFB

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 4100 HST /410 FEL, R4s
All right its winter for me I'm off of work for a while so I relax and sometimes watch DVD movies. I'm probably showing my age but I just finished watching the 2009 release of Star Trek with Chris Pine as Captain Kirk AGAIN! Its like at least the 3rd time I have watched it :laughing: I grew up watching the TV show as lame as it probably seems today the sci fi technology was soo cool transporter beams, communicator's, energy shields, photon torpedoes, Klingon warbirds :D

I just think its a great movie and they did fabulous job of recasting all the main characters, Kirk Spock, Macoy, Scotty, Checov, Sulu, and Uhura. Seems over the past several years there has been so many big screen movie adaptations of stuff either from a TV show like Star Trek or the comic books like Marvel and DC. When I was growing up there was a neighborhood kid whose Dad own a distribution company for all kinds of variety and news stand things like gum, candy, balloons, balsa wood airplanes, toy soldiers, all that kind of stuff and of course...comic books! My friend had virtually every comic book EVER printed it seemed. So all these new movie adaptations are kind of familiar to me beside the mainstream stuff like Batman, Spiderman, Iron Man, there's the not so familar like the Avengers, Captain America, X men, Wolverine etc. etc. etc.

Anybody have any favorite? Does it bring back memories for anyone else?

Seen a movie? :shocked:

/ Movie adaptations #2  
IMO...One of the best re-make/adaptations of film versions of stories is 'Payback' an adaptation of Donald E. Westlake's novel...it was previously adapted to film ('Point Blank') where Lee Marvin played the "Porter" character that Mel Gibson plays in the later version...

Most "re-makes" etc. don't hold up to the originals...but IMO 'Payback' is an improvement...
'Payback' screens like a good book (page turner) reads...!

/ Movie adaptations
IMO...One of the best re-make/adaptations of film versions of stories is 'Payback' an adaptation of Donald E. Westlake's novel...Mel Gibson plays in the later version...

I have seen that...Both libraries where I get my movies have it.

/ Movie adaptations #4  
The first I remember was a really cheezy Superman serial back in the early 50's, but we thought it was great! If you want to count a novel adapted to the big screen for the first time, I would offer "Where the Red Fern Grows". It was a fabulous movie, one of my favorites. I haven't seen the latest version, and don't care to.

/ Movie adaptations
The first I remember was a really cheezy Superman serial back in the early 50's, but we thought it was great! If you want to count a novel adapted to the big screen for the first time, I would offer "Where the Red Fern Grows". It was a fabulous movie, one of my favorites. I haven't seen the latest version, and don't care to.

I see the original RedFern movie was 1974 and the remake was in 2003

One of the Superman movies was pretty good I thought. The one I liked was the 2013 release "Man Of Steel"

Of course Russell Crowe was in it too :laughing:

There's been 3 Superman movies I believe.

Kind off like the Batman stuff

I have to say Robert Downey Jr was a great Tony Stark in Iron Man series

He was even better as Sherlock Holmes :D

/ Movie adaptations
My nurse friend she loves the Bogart Classics. We always have to watch African Queen and Casablanca.

I had also borrowed The Treasure of Sierra Madre from the library a couple weeks ago.
Good old movies all of them

All B&W too! :D

/ Movie adaptations #7  
My nurse friend she loves the Bogart Classics. We always have to watch African Queen and Casablanca.

I had also borrowed The Treasure of Sierra Madre from the library a couple weeks ago.
Good old movies all of them

All B&W too! :D

Man, you plunked my magic twanger! I highly recommend the following:

The Quiet Man
The Shootist
Tom Horn
Silent Running
The Proposition

/ Movie adaptations
Quiet Man

Great movie! :D

Used to be able to watch that online

/ Movie adaptations #10  
Shawshank Redemption is a great movie. I read the novella and I can still remember how the story took you on a roller coaster ride. The movie did a great job.

I have not seen the Hobbit movies yet but I think they have done the book justice as the Lord of the Rings movies did for the books. The Harry Potter movies did a good job of putting the books on the screen. Some people will quibble over this or that but these movies did capture some very complicated books very well.

The Ender's Game movie did a good job too. Not as good as the book but it was good. They did not hack the book that I could remember but the ending was more powerful to me in the book than the movie.

Starship Troopers should have been a great movie but the movie has nothing to do with the book other than the name. Shame. Its a great Sci Fi movie wrapped around a discourse on government and citizen responsibility and duty.

Later,
Dan