Moms car stolen today while at Doctor's office for a checkup...

/ Moms car stolen today while at Doctor's office for a checkup... #1  

ultrarunner

Epic Contributor
SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
Tractor
Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 and RTV900 with restored 1948 Deere M, 1949 Farmall Cub, 1953 Ford Jubliee and 1957 Ford 740 Row Crop, Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer 50 assorted vehicles from 1905 to 2006
Year ago I posted pictures of the 2001 Toyota Corolla that Mom ordered and we spent the day at the factory watching HER car being assembled...

She loves that car and it was like new... and the only new car she has ever owned.... even kept the upholstery covered so it would stay like new.

Today while having an eye checkup her car was stolen... Deputy said it is the third car reported around the Hospital today...

I know it is only a car... yet it meant a lot to her since my Dad wanted her to have it just before he passed away.

Police said not to get our hopes up...

If you happen to see a 2001 White Corolla Toyota S with factory spoiler and glass sunroof and new Michelin tries... let me know.

She has already said another car is not in her future... only drives 5,000 miles a year... church, shopping and doctor appointments...

On a separate note... I spent most of the night with city police... at 1 am the Hospital where I work was broke in and controlled substances taken damaging vital medical equipment... crazy world.

Last edited:
   / Moms car stolen today while at Doctor's office for a checkup... #2  
Man, that really sucks. Sorry that happened to your Mom. I really hate thieves.

/ Moms car stolen today while at Doctor's office for a checkup... #3  
Bummer.

/ Moms car stolen today while at Doctor's office for a checkup... #4  
That sucks but at lest she didn't happen upon them in the process. Just recently here a man caught a group of 19-20 year old wana be thugs breaking in his car and wound up getting shot to death from a gun they had stolen a week or two before. All three got caught right away but still. To bad some have to learn the hard way. Such a sad outcome for all involved

/ Moms car stolen today while at Doctor's office for a checkup...
Several have said the same...

I hate when old people are targeted... don't know if this is what happened or not...

One of my dear friends was a widow for many years... no children... kept a lovely landscaped home that was her pride and joy... some thug in the process of stealing her purse 10am on a Sunday morning leaving Walgreens broke her hip... she spend the next 3 years bedridden before passing.

My own Grandmother was followed home from a Long's drugs and accosted in her driveway... needed stitches... police said it was a tactic to follow old people home from shopping... fewer people around.

It's **** to get old...

/ Moms car stolen today while at Doctor's office for a checkup... #6  
We own some vacant farm land about 9 miles from our home. There is nothing out there within a mile each way, but three houses across the highway. The old lady that used to live in one of the houses was having a conversation with me. I mentioned it will be nice to move way out in the country here, some day in the future, to get away from the crime in the city. She told me her husband was mugged in their driveway a few years earlier.... :(

Apparently they watched him cash his paycheck at the grocery store, followed him home, lumped him on the head when he got out of the car, knocking him out. In there attempt to get his wallet, they ripped the seat of his pants off of him. She heard something, came out the door to see here unconscious husband face down in the driveway with his half his pants down. She thought he was dead. He ended up OK, but she said "Thugs have cars. You aren't safe anywhere." and that stuck with me since about 1990. :(

/ Moms car stolen today while at Doctor's office for a checkup... #7  
Oh, and sorry about your mom's car... as other's mentioned, glad she wasn't in it. Its hard to have sentimental things taken from you. But at least she didn't get lumped on the head, if that's any consolation. :confused3:

/ Moms car stolen today while at Doctor's office for a checkup... #8  
Sorry to hear that. I live in a very rural area, and there is still crime. In our area, it is usually a local person.

/ Moms car stolen today while at Doctor's office for a checkup... #9  
Kids need something to do these days, like go to class, get a job, etc. Too many useless morons out there. I will tell you this, her car isn't far from where it was stolen. My friends moms car was stolen from church and someone later found it not but 8 miles away abandoned and hidden in the woods on the edge of a field they owned.

/ Moms car stolen today while at Doctor's office for a checkup...
Use to wonder why some would retire to a gated community and I can see some very real benefits... lots of predators out there that prey on the elderly.

Mom is 80 and people are always commenting on how fit she it... chop wood with an ax or go on a 5 mile hike... no problem... did her last 50 mile run at 75 and hung up her running shoes...

She does like to walk and people repeatedly tell her it is not safe for her to be out... even with her Australian Shepherd at her side...

Guess it's my problem because I can't concentrate if I'm worried about her... if it had not been for this early morning Hospital break-in... I would have taken her to the Doctor's appointment... I was tied up with the police and could not get away...

Maybe a topic for a new thread... those of you with elderly parent(s) that rely on you for that little extra help to be independant... how do you manage?

By the way... all of the points mentioned are in the SF Bay Area...