Vacation. 1-days vs weeks

/ Vacation. 1-days vs weeks #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
Kinda a puzzling question that I though maybe someone would have more insight on than me.

Everywhere I have worked so far, once you have two or more weeks vacation you can take time off 1-day at a time. But must use at least 1 week all in a row.

Where I am now, I get 80hrs vacation, and 24hrs floating paid time off. Floaters must be taken in 8hr blocks, vacation in 10 hr blocks. So basically 8 days vacation and 3 days floating time off. (even though we work 12 hr shifts).

There has always been the rule on the books that you must take 1-week (40hrs) consecutively, and the remaining 4 days can be taken a day at a time. MY question is WHY?

Again, it has been this way at several other places I have worked. But have never understood it. And when asking, the only answers I ever get is "its in the handbok", or "thats the policy" etc. But no logical reason at all. Its 4 days off and 40hrs pay no matter when I take them. ITs not like we are gaining something (other than some flexibility) by taking them a day at a time.

Any of you guys in an administrative role have a similar policy and know what is the benefit for the company of doing such.

With my schedule, working 4, off 4, work 4, etc. Taking a week at a time is 12 days off. As nice as that sounds, I would run out of things to do. And I dont take "vacations". Plus, it makes everyone else in the shop suffer. It either leaves them short handed for a whole week (instead of just a day here and there), or it makes someone else cover me for an entire week (possibly working 12 in a row).

Again, I understand its the policy and has been at several places I have worked. But it is just one of those things that makes no sense to me and I'd like to try to understand why.

/ Vacation. 1-days vs weeks #2  
The reasons are several. One- easier for management to schedule work around. 2. less disruption of work schedule as you are gone fewer periods during the year. 3. Only taking a few days at a time does not let you relax. It can take 3-5 days before you de-stress from work.

/ Vacation. 1-days vs weeks #3  
I can't help much, (I am no exactly management either) I have 160 hours vacation plus 40 personal hours plus 56 sick. They bridged all of my time when I was hired back.. No restrictions on how you take it as long as the manager will approve you taking off. I always took it a day or two at a time thru the year and saved a bunch for the Christmas and New years timeslots. I can understand any kind of Manufacturing plant wanting you to take it in a consecutive manner. It would be a lot easier to get someone to fill in for you once or maybe twice a year instead of just for a day at a time. Some plants shut down and everyone takes all of their vacation at once. Zenith was that way.

/ Vacation. 1-days vs weeks
The reasons are several. One- easier for management to schedule work around. 2. less disruption of work schedule as you are gone fewer periods during the year. 3. Only taking a few days at a time does not let you relax. It can take 3-5 days before you de-stress from work.

1. No one schedules around us. Its the maintenace dept. We have 4 people per crew, and must have at least 3 before someone is called in. So me missing a day, life goes on and nothing changes. If someone is already off, or a second person wants off, its up to us to get a replacement. So no management scheduling issues

2. The "periods" that I would be gone wouldnt be any different. Just a few "shorter" periods here and there

3. I have 4 days in a row off, then work 4 in a row. SO if I take a single day off, that means I now have 5 in a row off (most likely) since I work nights and 12hrs, it is unlikely anyone takes a middle day off

/ Vacation. 1-days vs weeks #5  
Of course there is always just because management wants to.

/ Vacation. 1-days vs weeks #6  
Of course there is always just because management wants to.

It could be, even though LD1's department it would not hurt a thing, but if they let them do it, then the other departments where it would matter would complain, "well hey the maintenance depart does it"

/ Vacation. 1-days vs weeks #7  
I've only worked a few places, but I've never seen that before.

Every place I've worked gives you your vacation time in hours and allows you to use it in four hour increments (So you can take half days). Policy says that vacation days require approval at least 24 hours in advance (although that isn't enforced in the department I work in).

At my last two employers, hourly employees get their vacation time and also accrue "comp days." Comp days are meant to be there for unplanned absences like illness or a family emergency. They get one for every thirteen weeks, or four a year. Those have to be taken as full days.

Last year my wife and I took three weeks of vacation to travel southern europe. This year, we plan to use our vacation a little at a time by making four or five day weekends for taking a number of shorter trips. I don't know how I'd feel about being told how to spend my vacation time.

/ Vacation. 1-days vs weeks #8  
That seems odd to me, I have never had such a rule, I could always take time off when I wanted (with my managers approval).

Aaron Z

/ Vacation. 1-days vs weeks #9  
I can take it in .1 hr increments, or 6 minutes at a time minimum.